Octavia VRS 2.0 tsi tank range and average mpg

I get around 350 to 400 miles on a full tank and average 34 to 40 MPG using Shell V Power fuel on a 16 plate VRS hatch.

This is based on a mixture of short urban runs, country roads and motorway commuting. The caveat is obviously how "spirited" you want to drive it - MPG can drop below early 30's when maintaining higher revs.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rikochet said:

I get around 350 to 400 miles on a full tank and average 34 to 40 MPG using Shell V Power fuel on a 16 plate VRS hatch.

This is based on a mixture of short urban runs, country roads and motorway commuting. The caveat is obviously how "spirited" you want to drive it - MPG can drop below early 30's when maintaining higher revs.

Hope that helps.

Thank you that is very helpful and not really that bad and not dissimilar to my 1.2 tsi DSG Fabia Hatch which has a good gallon less tank space.

14 minutes ago, James777 said:

Thank you that is very helpful and not really that bad and not dissimilar to my 1.2 tsi DSG Fabia Hatch which has a good gallon less tank space.

No problems. I was pleasantly surprised when I moved from my Fabia vRS TSI that the running costs were vaguely similar.

31 minutes ago, Rikochet said:

Hope that helps.

I get around the same, 66 plate Pre FL 230, driven nicely I can get 40/42 MPG. 

I drive a 16 plate vrs 220 as a private hire car.

A full to the brim tank registers as approx 400 miles range.

A day working around town with plenty of stopping and starting will average 30-35 mpg.

A recent 440 mile round trip from Middlesbrough - Luton airport and back showed 43 mpg and managed on a full tank with 20 miles range left when I got home.

All in all, when you consider the performance you get, not too bad.

Thank you all so far for your input. In the broad scheme of things the Octavia Vrs Tsi doesn't seem too bad to run. Of course I wouldn't drive like my gran but with all that power on tap when you want it you have the best of both worlds I think.

12 minutes ago, James777 said:

Thank you all so far for your input. In the broad scheme of things the Octavia Vrs Tsi doesn't seem too bad to run. Of course I wouldn't drive like my gran but with all that power on tap when you want it you have the best of both worlds I think.

I agree, it's a nice compromise. I do quite a few miles and debated for some time whether to get the diesel, but it was a bit too sensible and lacked that edge the petrol has.

I generally get around 38-40 mpg calculated tank averages, and about 400 miles. This is made up of mostly motorway 50 miles a day during the week and a few shorter trips at weekend. Motorway stuff tends to be low to mid 40s, shorter trips tend to be low 30s.

All in, I think the VRS TSI is cheap to run for what it offers. I recently looked at a 330d Estate and the insurance alone would have cost me an extra £300 for the year, despite only gaining an extra 38ps.

Edited by ahenners
  • Thanks 1

I get about 290 miles to a tank, averaging 29mpg. Quite a bit of stop-start htw, with quite a bit of ‘spirited’ driving for the sheer hell of it :biggrin:

Gaz

22 hours ago, James777 said:

Hi all

Please submit your full tank range and average mpg

Yes I know a VRS shouldn't be bought to be frugal but I'd like to know if I can realistically afford to run one.

Thank you.

I think this is the VRS honestjohn link for Mk3 VRSs....     https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/skoda/octavia-vrs-2013  

I have had two Octy VRSs, a Mk 1 and a Mk 2, both petrol as I do not view the diesel version as "proper" VRSs, as standard, based on their performance, or lack of it, false exhuast etc.  Hence "VRS brand" devalued IMO.   Also had a Fabia Mk 2 VRS but the finest Octy I have had, over the half a million miles I have done in recent Skodas, was a 1.8 TSI DSG L&K Mk 2 and my current 1.4 TSI 150 DSG SEL.  0-60 7.5s with the L&K and 0-60 in 8 seconds for the 1.4 150 TSI as standard. 

Probably get 50 to 100 more miles out of these mid sized engined cars than I did the VRSs (except the Fabia Mk2 VRS which could do 600 miles on a good day), comfortable to drive, lots of features for comfortable low fatigue distance driving.   One can add the boot fin, proper one with the step in it, but without having the, some might say "tacky poor man's GTI" VRS badges.  Wheels easily upgradable to 18 inch, the brakes seem good and the 1.8 TSI and 1.4 TSI are chipable to 230 and 200 hp and still do relatively great mpg to a 2 litre petrol VRSs.

Octys struggle to get great 0-60, particularly  in damp, non-ideal conditions, (compared to similar MQB chassised A3, Leon, Golf etc) , due to the amount of weight overhanging the rear wheels and hence car never successfully used in motor-sport (great for land speed records though !) .

Octy is what is it, ie a biggish car, an all purpose car which official services like Ambulance, police etc buyers like and I do too but I doubt I would have another VRS, not sure how clients view turning up in one two, or perhaps any Skoda though I hoped that myth had been slain as Skoda, in my view, is the pick of the 4 makes out of the VAG stable where there are approx equivalence. 

Averaging 55 mpg displayed, 53 mg real and enjoying the 0-60 in 8 seconds quite often and the 60 to well quite a lot, taking the fifth amendment, as 7 speed DSG is great and even improved over the examples I had in the Octy 1.8 TSI L&K and Fabia 2 VRS.   All could do 50 mpg on a run and were pretty quick though Fabia ran out of steam at indicated 125 where Octys seem to still pulling at 135/140 thanks to the better aero shape even those have less power.  Lower revs when cruising very nice for relaxed driving as well as mpg.        

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ant-Vrs said:

Anything from 300-400 miles to a full tank of Tesco 99 depends how I drive the wagon.

14 plate octavia vrs estate 2.0 tsi dsg 

Stage 3 390bhp 414ftlbs 

Got a rolling road print out original to stage 3?  Having worked for Piper on a RR always interested as to the curves!

Have you run it down the strip?

Edited by lol-lol

32 usually. 35 if i get stuck behind traffic on the usual routes. managed 42 on the motorway with lots of average speed camera road works or driving 60 on long straight roads with the cruise on.

pretty solid 400 miles per tank using 97 or 99 fuel.

1 minute ago, 220 said:

32 usually. 35 if i get stuck behind traffic on the usual routes. managed 42 on the motorway with lots of average speed camera road works or driving 60 on long straight roads with the cruise on.

pretty solid 400 miles per tank using 97 or 99 fuel.

I would have to fill up twice some days with that range.  I hate hate hate the reduced octy mk 3 fuel tank size and inability to use the expansion volume!

220 vRS Estate. 

Average 33-34. 

But on a run, can be loads better......

D6406FE4-C39A-4CF3-B08C-C8F71DB78936.jpeg

I do loads of short runs mainly with just the odd long one here and there.  Got my car in October and averaged 27.57 over the winter months.  As the weather has got warmer this has increased to 30.32 average.  Overall 7281 miles at an average of 28.54 mpg.

Before I got the car I estimated I would get 26 ish based upon my driving pattern so an extra 2 and a bit mpg is happy days :biggrin:.

I came from a mk2 Fabia VRS and it is thirstier but not too much. Cost also offset by not really needing super unleaded. I get low to mid 30s mpg on a busy rush hour commute and have seen low 40s mpg on a relaxed long cruise. I wouldn't let it put you off, you really need an amazing real world mpg petrol to see significant savings.

I'd take a look at a 1.4tsi as they are surprisingly capable but I just wanted the whole VRS package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/06/2018 at 12:38, lol-lol said:

I think this is the VRS honestjohn link for Mk3 VRSs....     https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/skoda/octavia-vrs-2013  

I have had two Octy VRSs, a Mk 1 and a Mk 2, both petrol as I do not view the diesel version as "proper" VRSs, as standard, based on their performance, or lack of it, false exhuast etc.  Hence "VRS brand" devalued IMO.   Also had a Fabia Mk 2 VRS but the finest Octy I have had, over the half a million miles I have done in recent Skodas, was a 1.8 TSI DSG L&K Mk 2 and my current 1.4 TSI 150 DSG SEL.  0-60 7.5s with the L&K and 0-60 in 8 seconds for the 1.4 150 TSI as standard. 

Probably get 50 to 100 more miles out of these mid sized engined cars than I did the VRSs (except the Fabia Mk2 VRS which could do 600 miles on a good day), comfortable to drive, lots of features for comfortable low fatigue distance driving.   One can add the boot fin, proper one with the step in it, but without having the, some might say "tacky poor man's GTI" VRS badges.  Wheels easily upgradable to 18 inch, the brakes seem good and the 1.8 TSI and 1.4 TSI are chipable to 230 and 200 hp and still do relatively great mpg to a 2 litre petrol VRSs.

Octys struggle to get great 0-60, particularly  in damp, non-ideal conditions, (compared to similar MQB chassised A3, Leon, Golf etc) , due to the amount of weight overhanging the rear wheels and hence car never successfully used in motor-sport (great for land speed records though !) .

Octy is what is it, ie a biggish car, an all purpose car which official services like Ambulance, police etc buyers like and I do too but I doubt I would have another VRS, not sure how clients view turning up in one two, or perhaps any Skoda though I hoped that myth had been slain as Skoda, in my view, is the pick of the 4 makes out of the VAG stable where there are approx equivalence. 

Averaging 55 mpg displayed, 53 mg real and enjoying the 0-60 in 8 seconds quite often and the 60 to well quite a lot, taking the fifth amendment, as 7 speed DSG is great and even improved over the examples I had in the Octy 1.8 TSI L&K and Fabia 2 VRS.   All could do 50 mpg on a run and were pretty quick though Fabia ran out of steam at indicated 125 where Octys seem to still pulling at 135/140 thanks to the better aero shape even those have less power.  Lower revs when cruising very nice for relaxed driving as well as mpg.        

Thanks for your response, you do bring out my sensible side and in about 5 months or less it's a choice between the 1.4 or 1.5 tsi SEL (nearly new) or the tsi VRS both in manual this time round. 

If I go VRS could I regret it after about 3 months of testing out the fast pedal? 

With the 1.4 or 1.5 at least I would have a good punch of power when needed but when in situations of only being able to drive steady I wouldn't have to be paying for the privilege of the VRS.

Other things to factor in like insurance around £200 extra per year when my insurance will reduce from my Fabia to Octy 1.4 / 1.5 :dull:

Higher road tax?

Higher service cost?

Probably £500 extra fuel cost per year

I'm still not fully decided yet and I know I would love the nuts off a VRS if I get one.

On 16 June 2018 at 14:14, James777 said:

Hi all

Please submit your full tank range and average mpg

Yes I know a VRS shouldn't be bought to be frugal but I'd like to know if I can realistically afford to run one.

Thank you.

Had my VRS245 ten months and five days. Now covered 10,002 miles costing £1,428.71 from 30 tanks. Total fuel used 1,156.50 litres or 254.40 gallons at an average of 39.316MPG. Has stage one re-map last 3 months.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just posted this in another thread, so might as well add here since I have the links to hand.

Long term indicated stats Vs actual calculated from logging my fill ups. Note the actual calculated figure is over nearly double the mileage of the infotainment one, which resets itself after X number of hours/miles.

Utwk3E.jpg

eNIKrT.jpg

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:45, ahenners said:

Just posted this in another thread, so might as well add here since I have the links to hand.

Long term indicated stats Vs actual calculated from logging my fill ups. Note the actual calculated figure is over nearly double the mileage of the infotainment one, which resets itself after X number of hours/miles.

Utwk3E.jpg

eNIKrT.jpg

My cost per mile for fuel is also just over £0.14 as well after the first 10,000 miles.My average to date 39.3 using 1,156.50 litres of super unleaded.