1.5TSI DSG MPG

skaif

Now there's a title for acronyms! 

Thought I would ask around as to what you guys are getting MPG wise out of the "larger" petrol engine. 

I have driven around 550 miles so far and averaging around 33mpg (on the trip computer, not actually calculated it yet!) on a run I broke 40mpg yesterday for the first time with 90% motorway miles with cruise set at 75ish and driving like a granny everywhere else. 

What are you guys getting? Coming from a diesel I suppose my expectations are high but I thought I could have cracked 50 on a run! 

Edited by skaif

The “Official MPG” is 50 which we all know is not really achievable in normal driving, so low 40’s is probably best real world figure that's going to be achievable.

I’ve got a TSI manual and got 47mpg on the trip computer on a recent trip down the M3 to Winchester.  Am hoping for better as the weeks go by but know it’ll never achieve the dizzy heights of 74mpg on my previous Q3 diesel.

At 1900 miles im getting 40.5mpg. This is with a mix of a few long motorway journeys and loads of 7 mile commutes according to the "long term" section of the fuel computer.

I did get 50+ mpg on a couple of 180mile motorway runs.

I've gone through the 50 barrier a few to as on decent runs. The mpg from new is mid 40's from memory.

In all more than satisfied as Its better than the car it replaced in mpg and countless other ways....

Up to around 700 miles and the most recent run was around 35mpg - gave it some beans this time! 

Can't wait till its fully loosened up and I start seeing above 50!

On long runs with the drive mode on eco and cruise set to 70 I’ve never got more than 47mpg average.

I’m hoping it improves but I’m fairly happy with that. Only done 1500 miles so far.

I'm pretty disappointed with the 1.5 mpg to be honest, I'm 3,500 miles in with my DSG Karoq, and runs in traffic normally equate to low 30's, did a 50 mile run on Saturday, 80% of which was motorway or national limit, ACC set to 75mph and I only managed 39mpg according to the trip computer, so probably less in real terms.

34 minutes ago, Panther_uk said:

I'm pretty disappointed with the 1.5 mpg to be honest, I'm 3,500 miles in with my DSG Karoq, and runs in traffic normally equate to low 30's, did a 50 mile run on Saturday, 80% of which was motorway or national limit, ACC set to 75mph and I only managed 39mpg according to the trip computer, so probably less in real terms.

That sounds about right to me for what I'm getting. Is yours coasting? My Golf TDI used to coast which helped the MPG figures. Wondering if the Karoq has something similar. 

4 minutes ago, skaif said:

Is yours coasting? My Golf TDI used to coast which helped the MPG figures. Wondering if the Karoq has something similar. 

I don't think so as I don't have mode selection, my Octavia when set in 'Eco' mode used to coast.

6 minutes ago, Panther_uk said:

I don't think so as I don't have mode selection, my Octavia when set in 'Eco' mode used to coast.

You sure? What trim is yours? I have an SE TECH and found the mode selection buried in a menu somewhere. 

24 minutes ago, skaif said:

You sure? What trim is yours? I have an SE TECH and found the mode selection buried in a menu somewhere. 

@skaif Mines and SE Tech and I thought I'd found mode selection in the menu but it was only for the ACC, AFAIK it only affects the speed of acceleration when the ACC is on, as per the below from the manual, I 100% don't have the mode button on the centre console and believe is was something like £120 option on the SE and SE Tech

ACC-1.png.d5c5723452156603f11169a430b3220a.pngACC-2.png.3d168e6d1cd9113a2776ac5601b775c1.png

On 24 June 2018 at 09:41, skaif said:

Now there's a title for acronyms! 

Thought I would ask around as to what you guys are getting MPG wise out of the "larger" petrol engine. 

I have driven around 550 miles so far and averaging around 33mpg (on the trip computer, not actually calculated it yet!) on a run I broke 40mpg yesterday for the first time with 90% motorway miles with cruise set at 75ish and driving like a granny everywhere else. 

What are you guys getting? Coming from a diesel I suppose my expectations are high but I thought I could have cracked 50 on a run! 

You have bought the manual 1.5Tsi seems to be much better on fuel than the thirsty DSG. Today's commute to prove it!

image.jpg

12 hours ago, skaif said:

Mode selection is standard on the SEL our car has always been in ECO since new and car now covered 4,722 miles to date. It's got enough poke at 148bhp anyway.

On 25/06/2018 at 11:11, Panther_uk said:

Well, 39 mpg while doing 75 mph in a relatively tall and not so small petrol car is not so bad actually. Drop it to 60 or ~ 56 mph (56 is for countries with 90 kph limits) and you will probably see a nice improvement, even minimal elevation also increases fuel consumption, driving habits matter really a lot, even on a motorway etc. Oh and tyres, they matter a lot too, just google something like "eu tyre fuel efficiency ratings calculator". Tyres with "A" rating by themselves can improve mpg by few miles, compared to something like "E".

Regarding manual vs dsg - interesting, in theory dsg should actually be better.

Edited by JanJan

385 km  all motorway, but with a few slow roadworks included. Average speed over the distance 110 km/hr - 69 mph, 50.5 mpg. A/C running all the time.

1000 km round trip in southern Norway, mostly A-roads, but some mountain tracks, Lots of stops and short trips, 54 mpg average.

Both on on-board computer.

2.0 TDI DSG 4x4, two people and luggage.

• 4 months later...

36.2 Long Term average over about 900 miles , about 700 motorway averaging 80ish  with a lot of small trips thrown in.   Shorter 10 mile journeys around 33 . Will be doing a lot of shortish stuff in future so happy with low 30's - love diesels but the new ones just don't like lots of short trips with weekly regens and overfueling ... diesel fuel is not a great engine lubricant !! 

700 kilometers done~430 miles, the average consumption is 8.2/100km what's ~33MPG mainly in the city. As it's my first automatic transmission and I'm still trying to get used to it, I'm happy, cause my old manual Mazda cx-3 was "drinking" 7.8/100km what is about the same. Never thought it would be as declared by Škoda, so the actual consumption is not so bad. 

I have a SEL 1.5 DSG which has done about 1100 miles so far.  The long term figure is about 40mpg on the computer.  I must admit to being a bit disappointed.  I thought mine was improving but the most recent runs were below 40mpg and I cannot explain why.  I am surprised that it does not go into economy mode more (when the ACT is operating).  It only seems to do it in 30mph limit areas on the flat  with no significant acceleration.  I am sure that the demonstrator that I drove would go into economy mode at constant speeds higher than 30 but I suppose it might loosen up more with more miles. I haven't changed the mode setting.  Perhaps it is time to play with it and try sport and eco.

8 minutes ago, Teds said:

I have a SEL 1.5 DSG which has done about 1100 miles so far.  The long term figure is about 40mpg on the computer.  I must admit to being a bit disappointed.  I thought mine was improving but the most recent runs were below 40mpg and I cannot explain why.  I am surprised that it does not go into economy mode more (when the ACT is operating).  It only seems to do it in 30mph limit areas on the flat  with no significant acceleration.  I am sure that the demonstrator that I drove would go into economy mode at constant speeds higher than 30 but I suppose it might loosen up more with more miles. I haven't changed the mode setting.  Perhaps it is time to play with it and try sport and eco.

How do you know when it enters the cylinder shutdown mode?

2 minutes ago, SizzlingPotato said:

How do you know when it enters the cylinder shutdown mode?

The Eco light comes up on the dashboard.  It could mean that the gearbox has gone into neutral as well apparently but that is unlikely as the engine revs are pretty constant.

5 minutes ago, Teds said:

The Eco light comes up on the dashboard.  It could mean that the gearbox has gone into neutral as well apparently but that is unlikely as the engine revs are pretty constant.

I'll watch out for that then. I've mainly done short trips in town and haven't taken mine on the motorway yet. Only clocked 100+ miles so far and I haven't noticed the light - but that could be me not paying attention. I will now.

• Like 1

"Running in 2 cylinder mode" (or words to that effect) is displayed on the lower part of the dash, but does cut in & out frequently depending on road / speed conditions.