New tyres - really quiet now!

I just got rid of the last two OE fitment Pirelli P7 Cinturato.

The lease company decided that I should have all four corners fitted with Hankook K120's (Ventus V12 Evo2) and for once they might have got it right.  These tyres are sooooo much quieter than the Pirelli's, even though they apparrently have the same 70 dB rating...

I wonder how the wet grip compares?  Oh no, it can't, as the Pirelli's had zero grip in the wet.

Another thing - there is far less likelihood of the wheels skipping with these tyres.  They are far less likely to let go in the dry at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had Pirelli P7 about 10 years ago when I bought my MK2. The new car came with them from facgory so I had no word to say about it nor I had any experience to fear them. They were super loud and super thirsty. Every time autumn I changed for winter tyres (Conti VikingContact), the fuel consumption dropped over 1 l/100 km. 

It was 10 years ago but I hardly doubt that P7 has drastically changed it's ways.

My MK3 came with Continental SportsContact and those are also noisy ones. Especially on rougher tarmac. 

Edited by alf.onso
As 1 l/km was too harsh for Pirelly so I changed it to 1 l/100 km
  • Like 1

You'd be surprised how much difference tyres make to the overall day-to-day road comfort.  I've always found Pirelli and the Conti Sports very noisy.  I went for a mid range tyre (Lassa) for my second set and they are so much quieter than the factory Contis.  Wear is exceptional too with over 20k kms on them and hardly worn.  Just as long as you avoid the cheap Chinese ditch finders!

• Like 1

I'm sure the standard of the road surface has more impact on the noise levels than the tyres do.

My car is still on it's factory fitted P7's, road noise at 70mph on a British motorway is much worse than at 120mph on a German autobahn.

8 minutes ago, Fatso said:

I'm sure the standard of the road surface has more impact on the noise levels than the tyres do.

My car is still on it's factory fitted P7's, road noise at 70mph on a British motorway is much worse than at 120mph on a German autobahn.

That's the thing. On smooth fresh tarmac both Pirelli P7 and Conti Sport are quiet tyres but the increase of noise on rougher tarmac (compared to some other tyre brands) is huge for both of them. 

Tyre noise varies between types of tyre with the same manufacturer. My original front Hankooks 415 had to be replaced after 25 k as only 2mm of tread was left. I was pleased with the Hankooks so I asked for another set. They fitted Hankook Kinergy Eco but they are noisier than the 415s. Hope they last as long.

Edited by edbostan

I have noticed that even different generations of same tyre model can have different noise rating. For example Hankook Ventus Prime2 has 67db but Ventus Prime3 71db. Have no idea if there is any difference in real.

But yes, rated tyre noise is not measured from the inside of the car and is does not reflect how noisy the tyre is on rougher surfaces. I'm pretty sure they measure it on smoothest road conditions the standards allow. 

Speaking of tyres my car doesnt come with a spare instead comes with a sealant kit. Travelling back from Leicester today I get a shredded tyre and am now stuck near Luton waiting for recovery. I now need to go to Skoda and get a spare wheel kit as this is nonsense a spare wheel would have been on already and I could have been on my way.

• Sad 1

Cost and time involved in recovery plus you'll have to buy whatever oddball tyre the recovery man has probably.

A full size non speed restricted spare should be standard on all cars. Preferably with an alloy. Used to be, and I believe Passat's still get them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xman said:

Cost and time involved in recovery plus you'll have to buy whatever oddball tyre the recovery man has probably.

A full size non speed restricted spare should be standard on all cars. Preferably with an alloy. Used to be, and I believe Passat's still get them.

Yes my Passat GT had full size 18 inch spare.

I got towed all the way back to my house but now have to sort out tyre tomorrow.

Edited by RCW89

43 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Sorry to be OT, but does anyone know if full size spare fit under the variable boot floor in a superb? 

They only let you buy a skinny space saver :(

I don't think that variable boot floor has any less space in spare wheel "hole" as a regular floor. So you should be able to fit regular Superb "full size" spare wheel that is 205/55 R16.

I have read people also fitting 215/55 R17 wheel there (can't comment myself but I think it needed some customization) but 235/45 R18 would definately not fit. 

EDIT: Maybe this thread would be interesting for you: 

Edited by alf.onso

and there is another tread, standard floor in hatch

On 4/14/2018 at 08:09, MartiniB said:

replaced stock 205/55r16 by full diameter 205/65r16
weren't easy put it in cause back side plastic

diameter comparison to 215/55r17 and 225/55r17:
205/55r16 _ -5.3% _ -6.7%, this huge size difference cancels usage of cruise control
205/65r16 _ +0.8% _ -0.7%, not tested yet

20180410_164039_25p.thumb.jpg.85e375e978ca59be8892965870e41b91.jpg

33 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Sorry, to be clear, what I meant was would it interfere with the variable floor or is it just a few extra cm of space. A 205 to 135 seems a bit extreme.

I can't see how it could interfere with variable floor. That is how original 205/55 R16 could.

With regular floor the floor goes all the way down and floor mat lays on the car metal panels. With variable floor you just have regular floor + raised second floor so variable floor gives you slightly less space in the boot but does not go deeper than regular floor. 

Correct me if I have misundertood something.

43 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Basically you lose some of the underfloor space between the boot and the false floor.

Could you explain? I haven't seen variable boot floor for some time so I might be mistaken but when I look at the pictures, then in case of variable boot floor both floors (boot and the false floor) are flat. It means that real boot floor is exactly the same as any Superb without variable boot floor. 

19 hours ago, aldouk said:

I’m pretty sure that the DB ratings on tyres isn’t the rating from inside the car, but outside when driving past. 

Yes, but all else equal a noisy tyre on drive past will send more noise into the passenger cabin than a quiet tyre.

Only drive past tests are comparable without every tyre being tested on the same model of car as cabin noise is effected by numerous factors apart from the tyre.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pentaxian said:

Have had Goodyear Asymetric 3's installed on mine and the difference is night and day. (235/45/18)

What did you have before? The P7?

And did you notice any difference in fuel consumption?

34 minutes ago, alf.onso said:

What did you have before? The P7?

And did you notice any difference in fuel consumption?

Hi, yes it was the P7's.

Fuel consumption is an unknown they have only been on a week and part way through a tank of fuel, and to be honest I am enjoying the fact that it sticks to the road and when you put your foot down it grips and goes.  The car litteraly goes exactly where you tell it, when you tell it and never feels light if you know what I mean.  It is more comfy and I would say that driving at 70 is the same road noise as 50 on the P7's.

Having done a couple of starts at junctions that the P7's would make the car feel light, these don't. 

Currently sat on 450 mile roughly on this tank and there is 150 mile left according to the onboard system and looking at the guage it is not far our.

12 hours ago, pentaxian said:

Hi, yes it was the P7's.

Fuel consumption is an unknown they have only been on a week and part way through a tank of fuel, and to be honest I am enjoying the fact that it sticks to the road and when you put your foot down it grips and goes.  The car litteraly goes exactly where you tell it, when you tell it and never feels light if you know what I mean.  It is more comfy and I would say that driving at 70 is the same road noise as 50 on the P7's.

Having done a couple of starts at junctions that the P7's would make the car feel light, these don't. 

Currently sat on 450 mile roughly on this tank and there is 150 mile left according to the onboard system and looking at the guage it is not far our.

Good morning Pentaxian, I am unaware of which S3 u have can I ask is it the 220 that you have?