FAO people who have driven in France recently

Mickey43

Do you still need to carry a breathalyser?

Seems a bit of a grey area on investigation, ie you should have one but you won't get fined if you don't have one  ? 

Off to France tomorrow, got my red triangle, my hi-viz vests and my GB plate.  Do I need a crappy breathalyser or should I not bother?

I think that you're supposed to carry at least two, but there's no penalty if you don't have them, so I don't bother now.  When the new regulation was first announced, I bought a couple.  When they reached their expiry date, I tried using them after a couple of drinks (at home, of course) but they didn't work anyway!

Apart from document checks in Warsaw Pact countries prior to Perestroika, I've never been stopped by the police over nearly the past 50 years on numerous visits abroad apart from once in Poland a few years back.  I'm always careful to drive within legal limits etc, so I'm not sure if the police may check your car if they stopped you for speeding etc.

When I was stopped in Poland, it was near the border with Lithuania on a quiet Sunday morning and we were the only car on the road at that time.  He asked to see my documents and I got out to find them on the back seat and he started talking with SWMBO in Russian (she speaks fluent Russian).  After a few minutes, he gave a wave and walked off without seeing any of my documents.  SWMBO said she explained where we were going and who we are and he accepted we were all OK without bothering with seeing the papers.

I always carry hi-vis vests and a red triangle in this country as they may be useful in an emergency.  I use a magnetic GB plate and I've never had a problem with it falling off at speed or in very hot or wet weather.

1 hour ago, grmtylr said:

I've read some mixed things about needing them so I just take one anyway.

They're only a couple of quid at Halfords and mine just live in the glovebox.

Cheers, I'll pick one up today.

I haven't been to France for a while but my memory says that:

1.) there is still a law that says you must carry them

2.) the fine for non-compliance was something like £7 last time I travelled (10 euros ?)  :o:o

3.) the law to allow the fine to be imposed was never ratified and so if you get stopped they can't fine you anything even though you are not in compliance. ( a gallic shrug of the shoulders is valid at this point)

In spite of that I carry them as I considered it easier than having an extended conversation on the roadside when trying to get to a holiday destination. 

3 hours ago, Q102 said:

I've also heard some speed limits have dropped and now using private "police" to enforce it:blink:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/speed-limits-in-france/

I’ve been on a driving holiday in the Loire Valley for the last two weeks. No evidence of reduced speed limits anywhere either within the valley or on the way down. The local ex-pats are telling us that the breathalysers are no longer required, the law has been dropped. I have two in the glovebox though just to be on the safe side.

It’s been wall to wall blue sky and sunshine for the last two weeks, mid 30s temp but with a lovely cooling stiff breeze. BBC weather app has been 100% inaccurate for the whole two weeks! Local weather forecasts are about 90% accurate, showing rain and thunderstorms for latter part of next week...

The breathalysers are sold in packs of two. The idea is, if you have to use one, you've still got one left to keep you legal. I've always carried a pack.

I got stopped in a speed trap by the French gendarmarie in 2011. Every document was inspected, a fine was paid (€95) and oh, by the way, come here and be breathalysed. Then they sent me on my way. They never asked to see my breathalysers.

I used to routinely have a glass or two of wine at lunch when in France, but that day it was raining and I decided not to. I realised how easy it was to get done. Since that day, I have not touched a drop if I'm going to be driving.

I live in France, the speed limit on 90kmh roads drops to 80kmh on the 1st July (Sunday)

as is typical here, there is no clarity at all on the subject of a sign saying 90 (they haven’t changed them) and the limit being 80.

I think it will need Test cases for precedents to be set.

Me and my colleagues will all be at 80 even if signs are 90.

the Government I believe changed it recently to a two year trial, so as not to go to the expense of changing all the signs.

Be careful, a lot of what we class in the UK as dual carriageway is 90 (80 from Sunday) 

• Thanks 3

I didn’t bother with the breathalysers this year when driving to the Alps for skiing – the last two packets from Halfords both expired without use.

What I would have done if I’d thought about it more is get a Crit’Air sticker. Haven’t been through areas that need them before, as usually stay on motorways, but this time we went through the centre of Grenoble on a time-saving diversion recommended by the sat nav. Beautiful drive/crawl in the sunshine, windows down, but realised these zones are much more prevalent than in the past. So next year will definitely get one in advance just for peace of mind. 

I really like the Superb door bins with their special space for hi-viz vests :thumbup:

Speed limits drop on July 1st , dual carriage way stay at 110kph  2 lane roads ie one each way without a central barrier drop from 90 to 80 kph , country roads(not majorish roads) also drop to 70kph and town speeds can drop as well! Some Departements are refusing to erect the new signs, they argue should be state funded!

Regards breath testers, they were essentially thrown out because the then Minister of  Transport owned the only accredited company in France to legally produce the testers!   Nice little earner!

Strange country!!

Edited by Frenchtone

21 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

^ so why were people fined for not having one onboard?

"The enforcement of the law making it compulsory to carry breathalysers whilst driving in France has been postponed indefinitely. Whilst the law itself is still in place the authorities have recognised problems with the supply of suitable breathalysers and will not issue fines until further notice. We continue to recommend that you still carry breathalysers and we will inform passengers as soon as we know of a date for the re-introduction of the fines." - From the Britanny Ferries site.

However still be aware that it's illegal to have any device in the car (in use or not!) that makes you aware of speed camera locations. This includes older satnavs, phones and POI's on car satnavs -  Sigificant fines!!!  On the plus side many satnav makers have negotiated legal "zone de danger" warnings that warn you of dangerous locations that usually have a camera located within.

whilst I'm at it - if your going to/through Austria , leave your dashcam at home - It's a throw away the key job there(You can't even have one in the car!). You also can;t use them in Luxembourg

Edited by bigjohn

@bigjohn

Re dashcam: well, maybe so, but how likely are you to be stopped and searched for stuff like that (so long as not fixed to the dash)? I'd say you're more likely to win the lottery.

And that's the thing will all this stuff. There's a long tradition of vendors in the UK selling product you supposedly must have when travelling to/on the continent; things that, some cases, continentals never knew or worried about when travelling in each other's countries (remember the amber paint for headlights supposedly needed in France :D ?). Yes, warning triangles and hi-viz vests just make plain good sense anyway, but I have never - in 10s or even 100s of 1000s of miles - bothered with anything else, and that includes 'GB' stickers before EU-style number plates.

I was stopped and brethalysed in the Loire a couple of years ago. They didn’t ask if I had my own breathalyser. 

I used to have a magnetic GB plate...until someone pinched it!

2 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

@bigjohn

Re dashcam: well, maybe so, but how likely are you to be stopped and searched for stuff like that (so long as not fixed to the dash)? I'd say you're more likely to win the lottery.

I've encountered a few French sting sessions - usually in service stations near the ports to check on cars with the latest law of the year. eg When they brought out the GPS speed camera on satnav ban I witnessed this and saw a transporter full of british cars complete with roof boxes etc - lots of ruined holidays. Fortunately my satnav was out of sight (but legal!) so I was waved through.

When the French introduced the satnav speed camera ban, I downloaded the patch to remove them from French maps, but I also printed off the instructions in French, just in case I got stopped. 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2018 at 09:24, eurotraveller said:

@bigjohn

And that's the thing will all this stuff. There's a long tradition of vendors in the UK selling product you supposedly must have when travelling to/on the continent; things that, some cases, continentals never knew or worried about when travelling in each other's countries (remember the amber paint for headlights supposedly needed in France :D ?). Yes, warning triangles and hi-viz vests just make plain good sense anyway, but I have never - in 10s or even 100s of 1000s of miles - bothered with anything else, and that includes 'GB' stickers before EU-style number plates.

Never realised dashcams were banned in Austria & Germany:blink:

If you do get stopped, likely to depend on how the local gendarmerie are feeling on the day

Occasionally you will find 3-4 checking all vehicles on a road out of town. 

Think they are looking for French cars without insurance

One major change is the Crit Air (an emissions sticker), needed in Paris area (and some other cities also introducing).  Need to order at least 3 weeks before you travel.   Can't enter the emissions area without it, and numerical level can change (when pollution is high, only cleaner cars allowed).

If UK customs stop you, they might ask for your car registration document (even if with British plates), and there are stories of people having to wait if car not in your name (eg leased or company cars) if you have forgotten to get a letter of authority from owner.  Don't forget these if you arrive back in UK out of office hours as not easy to get quickly

Well, we (6 cars) drove through Luxembourg, Germany  and several other countries with Dashcams, Go Pro, Tom Tom Bandits, etc etc.

Can anyone post a copy of the alleged law?

Is filming banned?

Edited by vfrvrs

A couple of links to follow. Sheds some light on the complex matter of dashcams. Often more about data protection than private use (.e,g, not posting to social media with identifiable registrations etc).

https://www.adac.de/der-adac/rechtsberatung/verkehrsvorschriften/inland/dashcam/

https://gb.snooper.eu/blog/can-i-use-my-dash-cam-in-europe/