Canton ... or not?

FwineF

Hello all ... my first post! I have an opportunity to change the spec on my Karoq and I’m wondering if I should remove the Canton upgrade. 

After reading a previous post about how difficult it is to set things up so that it sounds good (poor stereo due to centre speaker etc), a previous car with a similar set up that I didn’t really get on with and now a new Ibiza with an excellent standard system, I’m wondering if it’s really worth the money!

Your views would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Seems an awful lot of money just for a change in audio quality. Admittedly I'm not someone who likes to blast out music or have the bass practically causing an earthquake but the standard equipment seems fine to me.

I presume you've had a test drive, did you crank up the system to see if it is enough for you? 

I had the same dilemma when ordering mine.

If you’re getting the Columbus unit the sound is really good, I’m glad I didnt go for Canton now.

And you get the useful central cubby to keep your sunglasses in.

The worst thing about my Edition is the Canton upgrade I paid for. There is high frequency distortion which is impossible to eradicate, very sibilant. I cannot tolerate it.

10 hours ago, FwineF said:

Hello all ... my first post! I have an opportunity to change the spec on my Karoq and I’m wondering if I should remove the Canton upgrade. 

After reading a previous post about how difficult it is to set things up so that it sounds good (poor stereo due to centre speaker etc), a previous car with a similar set up that I didn’t really get on with and now a new Ibiza with an excellent standard system, I’m wondering if it’s really worth the money!

Your views would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

When the Karoq first came out I went armed with an SD card with some of my own music in 320kps MP3 format. There were six Karoqs available for inspection with a couple having the Canton and others with Amundsen & Columbus head units. I had free reign and all the time in the world to test the sound out in all the cars. I could detect no difference between the Amundsen & Columbus head units they both sounded good, very good. As for the Canton, at normal to moderate volume levels it was no better than the standard system but turning it up very loud - yes it held together better. But this is the rub - once I found out that you needed to order a spare and thus rob the car out of a heap of boot space on the 4x4, I wouldn't have ordered the Canton if it had been ten times better. I did notice my album art on the Amundsen didn't appear when it was clearly displayed on the Columbus so I questioned the staff. After lots of discussions between each other they finally told me that if you want album art to appear on the display you need the Columbus. I suspected this was utter claptrap. I figured that the fact that my album art is large (1080 pixels square) it might be something to do with that so I reduced some albums to 800 pixels square and went back - low and behold the album art then displayed on the Amundsen perfectly!       

28 minutes ago, Horacecoker said:

When the Karoq first came out I went armed with an SD card with some of my own music in 320kps MP3 format. There were six Karoqs available for inspection with a couple having the Canton and others with Amundsen & Columbus head units. I had free reign and all the time in the world to test the sound out in all the cars. I could detect no difference between the Amundsen & Columbus head units they both sounded good, very good. As for the Canton, at normal to moderate volume levels it was no better than the standard system but turning it up very loud - yes it held together better. But this is the rub - once I found out that you needed to order a spare and thus rob the car out of a heap of boot space on the 4x4, I wouldn't have ordered the Canton if it had been ten times better. I did notice my album art on the Amundsen didn't appear when it was clearly displayed on the Columbus so I questioned the staff. After lots of discussions between each other they finally told me that if you want album art to appear on the display you need the Columbus. I suspected this was utter claptrap. I figured that the fact that my album art is large (1080 pixels square) it might be something to do with that so I reduced some albums to 800 pixels square and went back - low and behold the album art then displayed on the Amundsen perfectly!       

wow, all that effort for a sound system, you have alot of time on your hands, I have the canton in my sel and have to say, it is definitely a worthwhile option if you enjoy music, at home I use bose products and must say the canton holds up well to this 

51 minutes ago, Jimhem81 said:

wow, all that effort for a sound system, you have alot of time on your hands, I have the canton in my sel and have to say, it is definitely a worthwhile option if you enjoy music, at home I use bose products and must say the canton holds up well to this 

I've got all the time in the world, I'm retired. I did this to satisfy myself that the Canton wasn't required on my shopping list. Neither was the Karoq at the time without a 4x4 1.5TSI engine and the digital dash and dynamic chassis control. These will all be available on MY19 models and that's when I'll change my Yeti with it's Skoda upgraded Sound  System that I never thought was worth the money. The Sound System not the car.   

57 minutes ago, Jimhem81 said:

A little condescending. If sound systems are of high importance to people then it is just good sense to test in detail.

I have Canton and I had the opportunity to try also the standard system.

The standard one didn't impressed me at all. The sound had a lack of bass, I felt it much worse than the one in my ex Kia.

I was expecting that Canton gives  a symphony of sounds, but it's not like that. I still feel the lack of bass, but at high volume it's pretty fine.

The best I've heard so far was a Bang and Oluffsen from a S90. It was simply delicious!

I would by the Canton.

I don't think the Columbus lacks bass. I've had friends comment on how nice the system sounds.

As suggested above, go along with some of your favourite music and listen to both if you can.

On 14/07/2018 at 19:10, Horacecoker said:

..  I did notice my album art on the Amundsen didn't appear when it was clearly displayed on the Columbus so I questioned the staff. After lots of discussions between each other they finally told me that if you want album art to appear on the display you need the Columbus. I suspected this was utter claptrap. I figured that the fact that my album art is large (1080 pixels square) it might be something to do with that so I reduced some albums to 800 pixels square and went back - low and behold the album art then displayed on the Amundsen perfectly!       

Indeed. Album art displays fine on my entry level SE with Bolero.

Unbelievable the level of knowledge in dealer staff :o

I am a music lover and always have the radio, CD, or sd card playing when driving. Maybe I don't have a sensitive ear but I cannot detect much difference between the standard columbus and the canton unit when played at a normal sound level. However to detect a difference in sound quality the sound level has to be at level that would result in my eardrums turning to mush. Hey, what do I know. Country and western rules.

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

Indeed. Album art displays fine on my entry level SE with Bolero.

Unbelievable the level of knowledge in dealer staff :o

Well obviously your album art is within the size restriction of whatever your head unit is set to.

1 hour ago, Horacecoker said:

Well obviously your album art is within the size restriction of whatever your head unit is set to.

Yes. If only that were my point.

My post is about dealer staff thinking album art could only be displayed on Columbus.

If that's the extent of their knowledge, giving correct advice on file size parameters would be way beyond them.

2 hours ago, Livrishind said:

I am a music lover and always have the radio, CD, or sd card playing when driving. Maybe I don't have a sensitive ear but I cannot detect much difference between the standard columbus and the canton unit when played at a normal sound level. However to detect a difference in sound quality the sound level has to be at level that would result in my eardrums turning to mush. Hey, what do I know. Country and western rules.

I like a good tune. And the standard set up is better than those in our previous 2 Yetis.

Works great.

Right up to the point where you turn the key :D

8 hours ago, Michael G said:

Yes. If only that were my point.

My post is about dealer staff thinking album art could only be displayed on Columbus.

If that's the extent of their knowledge, giving correct advice on file size parameters would be way beyond them.

Sorry, unbelievably I missed the last sentence in your post, hence my reply. You are exactly right! 

• 4 months later...

I have the canton, admunsen and glass roof which may have a sonic signature.

The canton options that work best for me

- surround set to minimum (-9 is it?), I don't like the added reverberation.

- optimized for front. Driver, sound comes too much from the right with left hearing loss.

- focalisation center all the way up to the front too, again less reverberation.

- equalizer maybe up one-two notches for bass, neutral for mids, down one-two notches for treble. Doesn't improve things much.

Overall, there is not enough lower mids, too analytical. The timbre is not spot on. The instruments are not full-bodied, too lean. On the upside, you get to hear the backing vocals more and understand the lyrics better. Canton is pretty good at untangling vocal lines. Questionably mastered rock music sound harsh. My old Renault Scenic was more comfortable if not as articulate.

Thanks darock, I agree about the surround sound level being on -9 as all it does is emphasise distortion and midrange squawk. I find that having the sound Focus four taps towards the rear takes away some of the harshness of the front speakers. For some reason 1980s records with digital reverb sound the worst on the Canton system by being rough sounding and granular/harsh regardless of EQ settings. By comparison, a Nat King Cole MP3 can sound great. Overall I wish I had not bought the Canton system and just had the basic sound system to which I could have added an amp and better component speakers. But the installed Canton system has 8 ohm speakers in the front which are impossible to find replacements for (all good branded replacements are 4 ohm) and the underseat amp has a digital connection from the head unit so would probably need to be retained in the system which rather defeats the object if the amp's poor digital crossovers or circuitry is causing the harsh "overloaded" upper midrange sound that is very tiring. Any suggestions welcome!

6 minutes ago, FabFabFabia said:

Thanks darock, I agree about the surround sound level being on -9 as all it does is emphasise distortion and midrange squawk. I find that having the sound Focus four taps towards the rear takes away some of the harshness of the front speakers. For some reason 1980s records with digital reverb sound the worst on the Canton system by being rough sounding and granular/harsh regardless of EQ settings. By comparison, a Nat King Cole MP3 can sound great. Overall I wish I had not bought the Canton system and just had the basic sound system to which I could have added an amp and better component speakers. But the installed Canton system has 8 ohm speakers in the front which are impossible to find replacements for (all good branded replacements are 4 ohm) and the underseat amp has a digital connection from the head unit so would probably need to be retained in the system which rather defeats the object if the amp's poor digital crossovers or circuitry is causing the harsh "overloaded" upper midrange sound that is very tiring. Any suggestions welcome!

Wow. I barely understood a word of that!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1