Anyone done better MPG?

Hello all,

I have 150BHP manual hatchback, now with 29k miles on it. I travelled from Warrington to Reading a couple of weeks back, leaving at 5:30 in the morning. Manged 85.6 mpg on the way down, with only small amount of  diesel left in tank on arrival, with 78.7 mpg on the way back, with full tank of diesel and going via central Birnmingham for a visit. The return journey shows range of 925 +183 = 1108 miles!! This would be approx 82 mpg overall. The display overreads usually by approx 7-8%, so let's call it 75 mpg.

Not sure how I manged such good figures, but M6 was mainly 50mph in roadworks and then did 62-64mph on other stretches of motorway. Also did full manual driving, no cruise either way.

Anyone else got good figures over a long(ish) distance?

Mike

ToReading.jpg

FromReading.jpg

• Like 2

To pull this a bit back on track (sorry @Mike66) I don't get anything like your mpg (I run a 190 DSG), but I have noticed a rise in mpg over the past few weeks. Likely due to the reduction in traffic as holiday season kicks in. FWIW I am currently getting c58mpg from my daily commute, with a long term average over the last 95 hours of c55mpg.  I saw similar mpg to yours from my Mk2 Greenline Superb though, with the CR140 manual Mk2 regularly managing averages in the mid 60's mpg in summer.

Edited by BriskodaJeff

Well done Mike.......I once got 67mpg displayed on maxidot  out of the blackline diesel 2.0L manual Bristol to Newcastle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,one of the most boring journeys ive ever made trying to be economical,but that's me.

Edited by Sad555

6 hours ago, Mike66 said:

I have 150BHP manual hatchback, now with 29k miles on it. I travelled from Warrington to Reading a couple of weeks back, leaving at 5:30 in the morning. Manged 85.6 mpg on the way down, with only small amount of  diesel left in tank on arrival, with 78.7 mpg on the way back, with full tank of diesel and going via central Birnmingham for a visit. The return journey shows range of 925 +183 = 1108 miles!! This would be approx 82 mpg overall. The display overreads usually by approx 7-8%, so let's call it 75 mpg.

All I can conclude is that road from Warrington to Reading is heavily downhill and road from Reading to Warringdon is also .... downhill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The car was 6% out on fillup on the way down and 9% for the tank fill on the way back. The 9% was probably because it was 12p off per litre at Sainsburys and I went absolutely to the max of what the car could take.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aTf3B5dYws8rDaDT6

I travelled from Leeds to Lutterworth today with 3 adults on ACC all the way down and back and this was my average.

I've never seen this 

The difference

I didn't have any option but to put Shell V Power in , it's cost me so much more than usual but the results speak for themselves

The last journey I did with me and a passenger got me 54mpg, that was on Morrisons diesel.

Go figure 

I might have had a favourable tail wind, who knows ....it's the best I've seen  on a long run which  was  a 229 miles round trip on the M1 and I set off at 6am from Leeds and got to Lutterworth at 08:00, no traffic just cruised at 70mph 

Mines a 190 CR DSG

Edited by Zenbasses

I regularly get over 80mpg on my daily commute to Liverpool (150tdi).  Driving style definitely makes a big difference as on my way to work I drive slowly and carefully and get >80mpg, but on the way home usually rush and generally get low 60's.  Journey is 60 miles, mostly motorway.

Currently computer is showing 80 miles left in the tank and so far have done 805 miles on this tank full.

Edited by Lee_M

Not quite that much, this tank at one stage was showing a cumulative 1070 but being back on the M5/M6 commute (5 days this week) has killed it and it is now down at about 970.  Probably need some tomorrow.

Don't trust the computer, I calculate mpg from amount added and miles run between fills - currently running at just under 60 average since I got the car.

It is very economical at steady speed - even 70,  to those who see driving gently as boring at 25k a year fuel is a major expense for me so I do try to minimise use.  It generally means a 200 mile journey takes 15 minutes longer and is less stressful.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

couldn't able make better cause met so many slow turtles on the highway -
most of distance 200km/h
20180729_113652_20p.thumb.jpg.5c95c0231dde4225756749421ba8c513.jpg

This is why I prefer diesel all the way. At these speeds (actually 220km/h, Autoban). I had consumption 8L per 100km/h. When you go fast, Diesel is just awesome.

On 02/08/2018 at 12:45, JackySi said:

Diesel is just awesome.

to save ~30% money on same distance diesel fans pays by
1. black clouds behind them
2. extra noize
3. extra vibration
4. awful smell on hands after refueling
5. slower acceleration times

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

to save ~30% money on same distance diesel fans pays by
1. black clouds behind them
2. extra noize
3. extra vibration
4. awful smell on hands after refueling
5. slower acceleration times

1.) Newest diesels do not smoke at all. They also have much lower NOX levels than older diesels/trucks
2.) Extra noise? My diesel is pretty quiet, I don't actually hear the engine at 4000RPM (230km/h). I hear wind/road noise only
3.) Vibration, okay that's true, but its not as bad as in Octavia, its actually pretty small difference with newest Superb
4.) Awful smell? I don't like smell of Petrol either but I never smell diesel when refueling... I just wiggle  the hose few times more than normally and voila no spills
5.) Slower acceleration? LoL? 190hp diesel has 400NM torque, it can accelerate to 100km/h almost as fast as 220hp fuel engine. Which is 30 hp difference. that's just bs my man

The fuel consumption at higher speeds is 50% lower if not more. So I wouldn't really bet on 30% only.
Also the way diesel engine is made its just more robust. Even with new really good fuel engines, Diesel is still more robust. Its meant for more KM and the compression ratio requires heavier metals. Petrol is usually made out of Aluminium today to save weight and money while diesel is still mostly iron/mix of stronger metals.

I understand you have preference, that's your choice, its not wrong. Its a choice. For high mileage every one will suggest you diesel. I have not meet a person who would suggest me buying petrol engine when doing more than 30.000km a year. But that's still up to you what to choose. But please stop with comments where you claim something that's simply not true. I understand you prefer refinement of petrol engine. but don't spread lies about smoke. 

Im petrol fan, but I'm not rich enough to afford a petrol car because I prefer driving more km a year than having to watch my way of driving.