What would you do if you were me?

I am after some thoughts regarding situation I am in. 

2016 230vrs estate purchased May 2018

I have the skoda used warranty but I am not sure of whether something like faulty creaking top mount - is covered by the used warranty? The dealership would only know if they put a claim through and the booklet isn’t clear. 

I am hoping that replacement front shock covers are going to be authorised to be paid by my original selling dealer to my local Skoda dealer and fix the creaking. 

To fit these covers - they have to take apart front suspension. 

My question is - covers fitted and was still to creak - would you gamble that if the top mounts were faulty and causing creaking these would be covered by used warranty - is it a ‘sudden failure’ or deemed wear and tear??

with the shock covers off there would be no labour charge to fit new top mounts! 

Otherwise 3 hours at £95 labour and then parts. 

Parts from mike at beiskoda parts is £100 odd. 

Take a a gamble or take a more proactive approach and be hit in the pocket for just parts??

Just to add - diagnostic time is not covered as mileage is over 60,000. 

any thoughts or experience of used warranty appreciated. Take £100 hit or gamble it’s the covers??

ryan. 

Edited by Rybu79

Cannot comment on the exact problem you describe, but in general, all mechanics I have ever met always say that replace parts when they fail and they say no point in these "pro-active" replacements.

Also, if you are guessing, you always start with the cheapest part and then check if it fixes the problem before going to more expensive ones.

16 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Cannot comment on the exact problem you describe, but in general, all mechanics I have ever met always say that replace parts when they fail and they say no point in these "pro-active" replacements.

Also, if you are guessing, you always start with the cheapest part and then check if it fixes the problem before going to more expensive ones.

Thanks for reply. 

Its the labour time and the apparent shoddy used car warranty that concern me. 

The used warranty booklet spends more time saying what it doesn’t cover than what it does. 

Gamble £100 vs £400 vs warranty covering it. 

5 minutes ago, daveface said:

If it's a 2016, wouldn't it still be the factory 3 year warranty and not a used one? 

3 years, with a 60k limit for 3rd year. OP is over 60k.

Edited by ahenners
Edited for clarity
  • Thanks 1

the lids won't necessarily kill the creak. 

If the creak is particularly when you turn the wheels with the car stationary, the top mounts are probably at fault and I'd just bite the bullet and change them. 100000kms for a set of mounts isn't bad.

- Bret

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 181ce said:

Do you seriously think a warranty is going to cover consumable parts at 60k miles and 2 years old,..........seriously ?

I’ll be honest - I wasn’t too sure if it was classed as consumable like brakes etc. 

Also  the fact I’ve only had the car 2 months, 12 month Skoda used warranty and reported the issue 11 days into ownership. 

10 minutes ago, Rybu79 said:

I’ll be honest - I wasn’t too sure if it was classed as consumable like brakes etc. 

Also  the fact I’ve only had the car 2 months, 12 month Skoda used warranty and reported the issue 11 days into ownership. 

Is this related to the noise your hearing Ryan ?

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Thanks 1

What's the symptoms you are seeing? Suspension creaks when you go over speed bumps slowly? I had this issue and was covered under warranty for me as they had a note in the system that this should be resolved by applying a special grease to a specifuc part of the suspension.

It's done the trick for now and car sounded much better.

That 'Note' will be a TPI.    Technical Product Information,   so the Master Tech can check that if the 'Receptionists on the Service desk can not be bothered'. 

Means that 'Never heard of that before' is because they never listen or look.  or 'They all do that' meant a TPI was put out.

Because smart people that made a Fundamental Design, or Manufacturing, Material, Quality Control mistake had to get some action to resolve that.

Edited by Offski

5 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Is this related to the noise your hearing Ryan ?

Yes it is. I’m going to get booked in for new shock covers, think I will get the top mounts done. 

3 minutes ago, alladin1616 said:

Is this  "Skoda" extended warranty and if so is it all component cover? If it is all component cover, I would expect the part to be covered. 

No it is a used warranty. 

Screenshot of cover summary - more not what is covered than what is. 

207998D4-E348-4B97-84C2-0B48EFB0E92F.png

All info regarding original warranty can be ignored, mileage restrictions etc - it doesn't apply. The OP has taken out a new warranty on a used car.

Only 2mths old?  My advise would be to ignore the warranty altogether and tell the supplying dealer the car they sold you was faulty. Use the consumer rights act to resolve the issue - the ball's now in their court.

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Offski said:

If they are faulty then yes sold with the fault, or one that took 2 months and however many miles to become obvious.

The good thing about about using consumer rights act, especially in this case, is for the first 6mths after sale, the onus is on the seller to prove there was no fault. After 6mth it's then up to the buyer to prove there was a fault.

For the 1st 6mth, warranties are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

The diagnosis will show or should if there is a fault, so if there is and it is the Top mounts the Dealership or the Warranty can pay, 

so no issue, if it turns out not to be the top mounts then they might just ask the owner to pay.

So back to the OP, what do you do, the fault need finding before it can be resolved.

FFS we're talking about a consumable part that has served it's time,no warranty of any description is going to cover it,a far more practical approach would be the polite one and see if there's any goodwill to be had,not coming at it like they've stolen your lollipop.

• Like 1