Updated Speed Camera SD card files (July 2018) for Amundsen Sat Nav Unit

Bouncypete is correct if it is the map you are updating - spot on. If you are wanting to install the camera POI's though you would leave the map SD card in place and use the other (you say music) SD slot with a spare, empty SD card to transfer the data as described in detail in my first post here.

Many thanks Welsh Boyo :)  I'd been trying to use Skoda's own tool, then VW, Seat, etc, trying to get cameras onto my Amundsen without success.  I copied your file onto a spare 16GB SDcard (FAT32) I had lying around and followed your instructions, now hey presto I have cameras shown.  Again, many thanks, your hard work really is appreciated.  I wish Skoda would fix their POI tool.

I copied the file, opened it, dropped onto new sd card, put it into card slot 2, started the system recognised there was an update. Then in the settings I ticked all you said and now I have speed camera warning blurp sound with a depiction on screen of a camera. Brilliant! Thank you so much Welsh Boyo. I get the warning sound even when not using the maps. 

Next question, can the voice be changed? 

Markus 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you can. You need the more recent MIB2 unit for that as it allows you to store your own POI's :(

Read the previous posts in this topic for more information on older cars (with MIB1 units).

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, I find it incredible that considering how sophisticated my car is, the sat nav doesn't have speed cameras as standard - what's that about?

Secondly, it's a good job my wife has the car today otherwise I would get no more work done as I would be downloading and installing this.

Don't worry, I'll be back soon.  Thanks Welsh Boyo.

Why would VW include speed cameras as standard? They don't compile the database, someone else does. They provide a means to add the database if you wish, but legally I think they'd be in hot water if someone got caught by a camera and decided to enlist the services of a No win No fee solicitor to get compensation for their points and fine from VW.

I confess to not having an extensive knowledge of sat nav's, but this is the first OEM or aftermarket system I have come across without them. 

A simple disclaimer covers off any potential legal issues.

Are these actually VW's own system then, the one in my old CX-5 was a TomTom.

All interesting stuff :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Paucatuman said:

I confess to not having an extensive knowledge of sat nav's, but this is the first OEM or aftermarket system I have come across without them. 

A simple disclaimer covers off any potential legal issues.

Any cars USED in France must not have any warning of speed camera locations due to a French law (a disclaimer won't make it legal) - maybe VAG just decide that it's easier not to include speed cameras for all countries rather than have a special case for France?

"USED in France" - mmm - would the Gendarmes know if a Brit has them LOL!

Point taken about the official line that needs to be taken by VW though!

BTW - I only upload cameras for the UK :)

14 hours ago, Welsh Boyo said:

"USED in France" - mmm - would the Gendarmes know if a Brit has them LOL!

When the law was first introduced the Gendarmes would use any "excuse" to stop British registered cars leaving Calais, and having any device they "thought" might include speed camera locations would result in an additional fine for that - arguing wouldn't get you on your way again anytime soon :cool:

However, they seem to have got bored of that fairly quickly, maybe the Maillot Jaune are keeping them busy?

• Haha 1

Hi, I was so very much hoping that this would all go according to plan, but alas, it hasn't.

If anybody would take a couple of minutes to consider this I would be very grateful. Please see pics of what's in the glovebox and the headunit I have.

Firstly, are they compatible with these files? Secondly, and I'm thinking this is the issue, I appear to have been able to unpack the zip files without putting in the password - has it all gone wrong here?

What it does unpack, I've put on an sd card and when I put the card in sd2 slot, it sees it but doesn't find any files, as the pic shows.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

glovebox.jpg

headunit.jpg

Your system looks fine (looks the same as mine). The latest files were uploaded by me on 20th March this year and I have a feeling I did not password protect that zip file. Importantly, you need to work carefully through the steps I outlined in the very first post in this topic. Occassionally it is necessary, for some unknown reason, to eject and replace the SD card at some point in the update process. Good luck. Let me know when it works for you :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Welsh Boyo said:

Your system looks fine (looks the same as mine). The latest files were uploaded by me on 20th March this year and I have a feeling I did not password protect that zip file. Importantly, you need to work carefully through the steps I outlined in the very first post in this topic. Occassionally it is necessary, for some unknown reason, to eject and replace the SD card at some point in the update process. Good luck. Let me know when it works for you :)

Thanks Welsh boyo, I'm fairly sure i followed your instructions to the letter, quite a few times! I will try again and report back. Just to give me a bit of clarity, am i just unpacking the main folder, or do i have to go into all of them individualy, and how big is the unpacked data please, I'm  getting around 3Mb.

Thank you.

You keep the original Skoda map SD card in the left slot. Put a normally formatted SD in the right one with the extracted files from the zip on it. Once the POI's are loaded you can go back to using the right slot for music etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/05/2019 at 07:35, Welsh Boyo said:

You keep the original Skoda map SD card in the left slot. Put a normally formatted SD in the right one with the extracted files from the zip on it. Once the POI's are loaded you can go back to using the right slot for music etc.

I'm up and running! Thank you very much.  

I'd obviously had a problem at the unpacking stage, I did it again on a different computer using different zip software and it worked first time. 

Splendid 👍🏼

Well done Welsh Boyo. I have just installed your latest update and it went seamlessly. Its a great service you are doing for all of us.

I look forward to the next update whenever that might be

👍