Aftermarket Head Unit Recommendations

2 hours ago, Koda_VRS said:

Hi,

Thanks for your pointers, to be fair, I don't think I'm too worried about it really, the dials give enough information on them I guess :)

Was the unit a straight swap for the original unit or did you need any additional looms for it? Final question I promise, the unit doesn't look like it's got a USB port on the front for running Android auto etc... Did you route a cable for this anywhere and if so, where? 

Looks like I need to get on eBay and get myself some of that wrap, might go for black, just think the silver is a bit off really!

Hi,

An additional wiring harness was needed as I have steering wheel controls, or so the guy who fitted it told me. The fascia can be found on ebay etc too.

It does have a USB, I have mine running from the back of the unit for power and into my glove box :)

16 hours ago, Ididit99 said:

Promise I'm not paid to say this but I have to go back to xtrons, my unit needed 4 screws to install and came with the cables, steering wheel controls, ac controls, reversing sensors and an after market reversing camera all work out the box + are all displayed on screen and having access to google play store means spotify and google maps works. It was a straight swap and has 3 usb ports with about 2 meters of cable. Android auto does work but you need and extra usb adapter sold on their site although I dont have this so cant comment, i can leave my house withouit a phone now I have this unit and get anywhere in the uk through downloaded maps and listen to any of my songs on spotify. Also my unit fits edge to edge so I have a much larger screen

Hi, which unit is it that you have specifically? Is it this one , it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Alternatively, what model do you have?

I dont have steering wheel controls, might find a thread about potentially retrofitting them though 🤔 Think I'd look at doing the reversing camera as well, not sure if it'd be worth it though given there are already reversing sensors installed.

Did you need to replace the fascia at all or it was a completely straight swap?

On 17/04/2020 at 11:54, Koda_VRS said:

Hi, which unit is it that you have specifically? Is it this one , it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Alternatively, what model do you have?

I dont have steering wheel controls, might find a thread about potentially retrofitting them though 🤔 Think I'd look at doing the reversing camera as well, not sure if it'd be worth it though given there are already reversing sensors installed.

Did you need to replace the fascia at all or it was a completely straight swap?

Hi, I have the PE98MTVIPL, and I actually can't remember if i needed a fascia but I've checked my orders and couldn't find an order for one, I think from memory it came with a few different ones for compatibly, It would be worth messaging the support as they are very good and normally only take a day or so to reply. 

I also don't have the steering wheel controls but plugged it in any way so would be interested if you figure it out. 

I can get some videos of the AC controls, reversing sensors, and my added reversing camera if you'd like

20 hours ago, Ididit99 said:

Hi, I have the PE98MTVIPL, and I actually can't remember if i needed a fascia but I've checked my orders and couldn't find an order for one, I think from memory it came with a few different ones for compatibly, It would be worth messaging the support as they are very good and normally only take a day or so to reply. 

I also don't have the steering wheel controls but plugged it in any way so would be interested if you figure it out. 

I can get some videos of the AC controls, reversing sensors, and my added reversing camera if you'd like

I hadn't seen that one on their website, I'll have a browse again though! 

I'll drop them an email and see what they say about the fascias :)

If I find anything and figure anything out, I'll let you know but feel like it could be quite pricy to do it..

if you could that would be awesome :) did you install the reversing camera yourself, was it difficult to do at all or routing the cable through the car? 

On 19/04/2020 at 18:05, Koda_VRS said:

If I find anything and figure anything out, I'll let you know but feel like it could be quite pricy to do it..

if you could that would be awesome :) did you install the reversing camera yourself, was it difficult to do at all or routing the cable through the car? 

Sorry for the reply time, I'll try and record it tomorrow, yeah Installed it myself it's wasn't too bad just tedious It was running a power and signal cable through the car, but power for the camera is on the stereo and is triggered when you select reverse so it was very easy to wire just a pain running the cable.

I did damage  the C pillar panel that I had to replace but that was on me and a very large flat headed screwdriver.

Hi all.

I'm glad this thread is still active.

I'm fitting a wireless reversing camera transmitter and receiver, after the hard-wired video cable I installed previously has finally snapped in the gaitor to the boot lid.  The camera and transmitter is already installed and powered up at the back end, but I need to wire in the receiver at the headunit. 

I'm looking for advice on where to take power and connect to earth for the receiver, please.  The power needs to be a switched live on the ignition and must remain on when the headunit is powered down so that the reverse camera picture can still be displayed.  I think power should ideally be supplied by the headunit.  There is a blue wire labelled ANT at +12V, not in use, but I think this will power down with the headunit.  There is also a brown wire labelled CAR BACK which is wired to the CANBUS decoder as well as the headunit - i'd like to know whether this is live.

I'm not in a position to test this out at the moment, but I'd like to hear from you lot how you've powered your wireless receivers!

I have an Xtrons PB88UNVP headunit with external CANBUS decoder.

Cheers

Picture of wiring harness supplied with the headunit, for reference.

Brown wires are labelled BACK-CAR, KEY1 and KEY2 (brown/black).

Thanks

EDIT:  Turns out KEY1 & KEY2 brown wires are something to do with steering wheel controls, so probably not suitable for power.  Still curious about the BACK-CAR wire.

http://bbs.xtrons.com/viewtopic.php?t=48

20200421_104716.jpg

Edited by mrhappy
more info

Youve rekindled my interest in swapping units. There is one on the bay. Its the ATD one looks to have all the right specs. It's just over 250.00 Anybody installed that one.? 

Should fit without any mods

On 19/04/2020 at 18:05, Koda_VRS said:

Here's a link to the video, sorry about the sun. 

Hopfully you can see enough, the fit is much nicer that just the rectangular unit with an obvious adapter plate. 

And if you get a reversing camera the park assist lines should just work and move with the steering wheel and are actually pretty accurate.

I know its Chinese and maybe less support than the typical units but I cant fault it, anymore questions let's me know.

• Thanks 1

I have fitted then to both my Skodas, both unfortunately have had OE radios requiring a specific faceplate and there are only one or two available at a silly price, the answer was to make fascia adaptors for them both which cost nothing, took not a lot of time but required precision and patience, here is the result of my last efforts.

IMG_20200330_193925[1].jpg

IMG_20200330_220524[1].jpg

You will see that the unit has the shaped faceplate for the more common VAG installs so is anot a square unit and looks the part when installed, at £80 for the radio/CD inc satnav, bluetooth etc I am delighted especially as this one is not buggy like the previous, was only another €9 for a reversing camera integrated into the number plate light with LED illumination for night use.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ididit99 said:

Here's a link to the video, sorry about the sun. 

Hopfully you can see enough, the fit is much nicer that just the rectangular unit with an obvious adapter plate. 

And if you get a reversing camera the park assist lines should just work and move with the steering wheel and are actually pretty accurate.

I know its Chinese and maybe less support than the typical units but I cant fault it, anymore questions let's me know.

Thanks for the video! I think I've got my heart set now! 😊

Payday is just round the corner so I think I know the first thing on the list! I'll post a photo when it gets done and leave my thoughts for any future "me's" browsing the forum!

Thanks for your advice :)

Hi Idiot99, 

That really does look good I have to say... I appreciate there is an element of get what you pay for. I wondered if anybody has bought one of the ATD head units from ebay.? They are 259.00 and just wondered if they worked OK... 

I bought one. It was fantastic and seductive with how big and great it was. Then it broke. Then I found out it was just an erisin one, which had the worst reviews I’ve ever seen for a product on the internet. Then I had to deal with atd, who are terrible for after sales.

my one bit of advice is, if you do chance it, to buy it through eBay with PayPal, because you have more chance of getting your money back through PayPal 

1 hour ago, Koda_VRS said:

Thanks for the video! I think I've got my heart set now! 😊

Payday is just round the corner so I think I know the first thing on the list! I'll post a photo when it gets done and leave my thoughts for any future "me's" browsing the forum!

Thanks for your advice :)

Just checked through my paypal for around the same time I ordered the stereo, I did have to order a facia it was 28 quid so not the end of the world and they had the nice silver that matched my car. 

So might be worth a quick email to them to confirm the right facia and stereo.

Yeah my first is an Erisin, now that I know what the limiting factor is and have revised my expectations and how I use it its fine for the money.

Basically it wont multi-task, reversing camera and/or parking sensors operating while satnav displaying may cause it to crash even just changing tracks on a CD, all these functions work fine individually with the satnav switched off.

Reprogramming so the shatnav did not autostart, only switching it on when I needed it and when I did not playing music when I did made it pretty stable as long as I drove forwards only :D

New unit seems identical, not an Erisin but probably from sameproduction line, works fine so no excuses for the Erisin, I would avoid now but was not so traumatised as to pay twice the price for an Xtrons etc, I took a gamble and paid half as much for the current one and was well rewarded.

A bigger screen is always nice but I really didnt want one with only touch screen controls, I am currently blind in one eye and cant afford to take my eye off the road to be swiping and pushing at tiny icons, the buttons I can feel without looking plus I have steering wheel controls, without binocular vision using a smartphone or tablet is really hard and typing on a screen virtually impossible, a keyboard where you have tactile feedback is much better as are physical buttons on a radio or heating controls.

This one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stereo-DVD-Player-GPS-Sat-Nav-for-VW-Tiguan-Polo-Jetta-Sharan-Caddy-T5-DAB/193273063055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It was cheaper at £84 inc delivery because it was a returned unit, was in perfect order and none of the cables etc had ever been connected, all worked perfectly. I would happily pay the full price for another one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have skoda superb mk 2 2010. Can anyone tell me if these aftermarket units have a socket on the back to take the airbag connector?

I have removed the bolero in the car before and the airbagwarning light came on. Had to put back the bolero and go toa garage to turn off the light

Cheers

There is no wired connection between the airbag system and the radio other than they both use the Can data bus.

Removing the glovebox and/or disturbing the switch to isolate the passenger airbag will cause the problem that you describe.

Hello

I have skoda superb mk 2 2010. Can anyone tell me if these aftermarket units have a socket on the back to take the airbag connector?

I have removed the bolero in the car before and the airbagwarning light came on. Had to put back the bolero and go toa garage to turn off the light

Cheers

Thanks JR

What do i do with the airbag connector when i disconnect it from my Bolero?

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There is no wired connection between the airbag system and the radio other than they both use the Can data bus.

Removing the glovebox and/or disturbing the switch to isolate the passenger airbag will cause the problem that you describe.

Thanks JR. What do i do with the airbag connector once i disconnect from my bolero radio?

12 minutes ago, moogyfoogy said:

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

There is no wired connection between the airbag system and the radio

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

There is no wired connection between the airbag system and the radio other than they both use the Can data bus

Moogyfoogy has a superb so iirc there is an airbag light on the stereo facia.

@moogyfoogy if the airbag light is connected to the facia, you'll probably need a new facia with a separate airbag light with the right sized hole for your new head unit.

OK, my apologies, every day is a learning experience.