Suspension knock - can't believe what I found!

I purchased my 2016 Skoda Superb SE L Executive 2.0 TDI 190 in May, it has now covered 27k miles but had been developing a knocking noise coming from the NSF suspension over the last few months. I discovered today that one of the shock absorber delivery spacers (part no. 5Q0 412 117 A) was left in place (see photo). These spacers are used for delivery of a vehicle from factory to dealership and must be removed before sale.

This is a severe quality control oversight by the original dealership and has resulted in a dangerous vehicle. The NSF bump stop is now completely destroyed (see photo) and has damaged the shock absorber and possibly resulted in further damage.

Has anyone else ever seen this before and can recommend how to best go about making a warranty claim? I have emailed Skoda North Wales (where I purchased the car) but I'm in Glasgow so obviously not taking it all the way down for repair.

20180808_131626.jpg

20180808_133938.jpg

Unfortunately it's not uncommon for these to be overlooked by the dealer, when doing the PDI. 

Might be worth sending an email to the dealer principle, explaining the suspension knock and your subsequent find. 

Did you report the knocking noise to the dealer?  I'm guessing at 27K your car has been in for a service?  Nice to know that somebody took the time to visually inspect your suspension components.  

It is pretty disappointing but I can see how they could be easily missed. I better check the rears too.

Yeah i'll send some strongly worded emails and see what happens.

Yes it has full dealer service history (2 services I think).

14 minutes ago, Wright Bro's said:

It is pretty disappointing but I can see how they could be easily missed. I better check the rears too.

Yeah i'll send some strongly worded emails and see what happens.

Yes it has full dealer service history (2 services I think).

Did you get a service book with yours and if so, do dealers continue to use them even though newer cars are issued with 'e-service books'?  If you do have a physical service log then it may also be worth checking to see if a 'visual inspection' was carried out and then also speak with whoever did the servicing.   From photographs I've seen of the transport blocks, they are easy to spot when in place. 

i'd be asking to have the shocks and springs replaced - free of charge.

that's shocking and **** poor from the dealer PDI.

let Skoda HQ know as well.

I will be fighting for at least new shocks, bump stops and top mounts. It's really disappointing!

Now I think about it I better actually check the rears haven't been left in too...

Sorry to hear you have had these issues.   I’ll hopefully be collecting a new order in a couple of months and am interested to know how easy it is to check this in situ.  Can it be done without jacking the car / putting it on a ramp? With a 400 mike journey ahead of me I really don’t want any surprises en route..

• Like 1

If it is sitting in such a way that there's a big arch gap you may be able to get in and prize up the plastic boot on the shock absorber and look under it. Easiest way is to jack it up a little. Don't have to take the wheel off.

• Like 1

I would have thought that these would be manufacturing spacers to ensure the shocks are all the same length when they are fitted to the sub-assembly and when the sub-assembly is fitted to the car.  I would expect them to be removed on the production line.

Why would they drive a car on and off transporters, around storage yards, docks and so on with these fitted?   Mine had done 15 miles on delivery and it is only 6 from the dealer to to home.

3 minutes ago, IJWS15 said:

Why would they drive a car on and off transporters, around storage yards, docks and so on with these fitted?   Mine had done 15 miles on delivery and it is only 6 from the dealer to to home.

To have better clearance when they load and unload the cars, and to prevent bouncing on the trailer.... I guess.
I dont see other reasons.

:) I went to check my car... to see if I have them removed... :D

Edited by U241170

6 hours ago, JR RS said:

i'd be asking to have the shocks and springs replaced - free of charge.

that's shocking and **** poor from the dealer PDI.

let Skoda HQ know as well.

Shocks and springs wouldn't get damaged, just everything else (like tires, rims, chassis etc).

• 3 weeks later...

This seems to be more common than I thought! Pretty disappointing...

It is now booked into Skoda, they are going to sort it free of charge and are providing me with a courtesy car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xman said:

What have they agreed to do?

They haven't agreed to anything in particular but have agreed to fix any damages. I will be pushing for a pair of front shock absorbers and bump stops at the very least.