What have you done to your Superb III today?

Driven it to the dealers....a Kia/Hyundai dealer and had a good look at a Stinger GTS and i30N. Dealer mentioned they’re expecting imminent news of the 2nd gen of both cars so I may hold off making any decisions. Their first effort is pretty damn good though. 

Didn’t want to test drive. That may have pushed me to the point of no return 😂

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Driven it to the dealers....a Kia/Hyundai dealer and had a good look at a Stinger GTS and i30N. Dealer mentioned they’re expecting imminent news of the 2nd gen of both cars so I may hold off making any decisions. Their first effort is pretty damn though. 

Intriguing! I was reading up on the gen 2 I30N. It sounds even better!

1 hour ago, boydeee said:

Intriguing! I was reading up on the gen 2 I30N. It sounds even better!

Two sales guys were giving conflicting info regarding the next i30N.  One said auto and AWD and the other said auto would be offered but only FWD.  I've seen various reports regarding test mules and such and Hyundai themselves have been quoted as saying an auto/AWD has been tested at 'the ring'.  Whether or not they are going into production remains to be seen.  

Out of both cars the i30N actually excited me more.  For me it just looks fun, like an eager puppy.  Some interior plastics are more of a comparison to the Fabia rather than the Octavia/Superb but everything seems solid and is well laid out.  The Performance version/fastback actually has a lot of standard kit and TBH I wouldn't bother with the standard one, mainly for the downgrades in kit.  Not sure if the seats are too high but they are very comfy, almost as plush as Volvo seats.  The Stinger is lovely and from aesthetics and tactility I'd say it's equal to the Superb in some areas and better in others. The interior has a bit more 'flair' to it Vs the Superb, defo.   Obviously there's a difference between a showroom prod and actually living with one.  My only concern with the GTS is a lot of power and RWD.  Having had the 280 I like the security that AWD and surefooted traction provides. 

Oddly the Stinger V6 is available in the US and a few other markets with AWD (even has a drift mode) so it could soon become available in the UK.  Whether or not they do that as a refresh or wait for the 2nd gen, I don't know, neither did the dealer. 

As I've already promised Mrs P; I won't be making any decisions or doing any 'sums' until I know more about the gen2.  The dealer said they are always receptive to deals as they don't like to lose business over Carwow and such.  

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Driven it to the dealers....a Kia/Hyundai dealer and had a good look at a Stinger GTS and i30N. Dealer mentioned they’re expecting imminent news of the 2nd gen of both cars so I may hold off making any decisions. Their first effort is pretty damn good though. 

I've been impressed by the few Stingers I've seen,though usually end up thinking "too 'Gangsta'". Which is interesting as it's exactly what I thought about the Superb until I bought one. In reality I'm just not a good enough driver to cope with that kind of power through the back wheels only. AWD could change that completely of course, so I'm looking forward to future developments.

At the moment the only car that might tempt me out of the Superb is the S90 Volvo (a completely unfair comparison given the difference in price I know). FWIW the i30N leaves me cold. Glad that unless something changes dramatically I won't have the problem of choosing a new car for at least a year!:D

Having probably derailed the thread enough, I should say mine is going in for a new windscreen on Monday following its second chip in two years. :mad:

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

One would argue that the imminent arrival of the 2nd gen will result in some bargain first gens of course! 

The Stinger is a very handsome car indeed.

As mentioned up-thread, had the windscreen replaced. Took it to the Autoglass on the outskirts of Bristol where they have the camera calibration unit on-site, so everything was done in one go. I'll be keeping my eye on it over the coming days, but so far so good. Genuine replacement glass. Lane Assist all working. Took just over 2 1/4 hours total. Based on what I've seen so far, I would recommend them to people living in this neck of the woods. 

• Like 1

several things this week:

Changed the rear discs and pads (90% worn and scored disc) at 56000miles. not sure of new brand but cost £270 at local garage, dealer quoted £322 so not that much difference. (but a lot closer)

Finally bit the bullet and bought OBDeleven to have a play with a  few settings. Thanks to @Gizmo for his work compiling a list of things that work and @grenness for his write up of using OBDeleven.

changed:

Coming home lights to fogs (minmise xenon light ups)

Fan blower speed in Auto (because you can)

Heated seat memory. (because I forget to turn it back on until i realise I'm not hot, but then I'm half way to work!)

Disabled start stop via the voltage threshold method.

I "THINK" I changed the throttle to Audi,  Mine was 0C..., changed to 0A..., rather than 01 to 02,OBDEleven says so (but thats relying on other use input) and the coding was accepted with no errors, can still change drive mode, rarely use ACC so dont know if it still works yet. couldn't feel much change in a quick drive round the block. 

Couldn't see how to get enable  DRL's in the MIB2. 

next steps, possibly rear leds with DRL's

also will look a lot harder in the windscreen wiper area. I think I may have enabled tear drop wipe, but I really want to get them to auto park with iginition off (they stop where they are at the moment)

need to re read about lane assist and high beam assist again (I have TSR)

Also bought a dual action polisher (Von Haus, looks the same as the Halford brand one re badged) if the rain ever stops I'll give it a go, washed and clayed it earlier in the week.  Halfords have got the Meguiars Ultimate Car Care pack , compound, polish and wax for £35 down from £50. 

Chazzy

• Like 2

Not quite as complicated as Chazzy but enabled a couple of things which the previous owner had deactivated presumably because they found them annoying but if the car has it and it's useful then so be it. Some of it I don't even understand but ticked the boxes anyway. Played around with the sound (bass,treble) and it more to my liking now although my car doesn't have canton the standard speakers are better than the Vrs245 I owned before.

Today I told my car to get ******, because it wouldn't let me reset the oil service message.

The oil change isn't due for another 6500 miles, but i've got a message telling me its due in 21 days.

I've gone through the reset routine, but it just won't let me reset it.

I've reached the point where it says "reset oil service?" , but I don't know what I should do next.

I've tried all sorts, but it just won't reset.

Have you seen the sketch where john cleese beats his car with a branch - well that's how I feel.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, eurotripwagen said:

Debadged the rear door today. I think it looks much cleaner without SUPERB 4x4 lettering.

Also got rid of 4x4 on the gear knob, opted for simple matt piece instead.

Without wanting to sound too rude...that is one good looking knob! Where is it from? 

As others have already mentioned, that is one lovely colour!

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2020 at 22:15, Chazzy said:

I accidentally reset my oil service by hokding the reset trip meter button for too long. (2017 my). You never know this may work on purpose too?

Nope. I tried that, and got fed up waiting for it to ask for a reset. But thanks all the same :thumbup:

• Like 1

Not exactly today, but Thursday last week I had an interesting drive along the A65 while going from home in West Yorkshire to SW Scotland

Edited by FatWolfie
Trying to get link to work
  • Thanks 1