What have you done to your Superb III today?

Agree with Colin on this as I've been to his house in our Karoq and despite its generous ground clearance decided that 2nd gear and 15mph was the MAXIMUM speed to take his giant local speed humps. Car just passed it's first MOT with no issues at 29,000 miles.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Enthusiastic approach to speed bumps? 

A neighbour of mine's wife & 2 x daughters each broke front springs on three separate cars over a period of 18 months (all different make / models of car). After the 3rd one broke he started asking questions. Seems they were hitting the local speed bumps (4 in our road) at excessive speed! Probably 35mph. So much so that on two cars the front bumper valance was also scuffed as the front end bottomed out on the road. 

Coincidently for the first time in a while I was driven by my wife in her car the other week & guess what, yep, she did the same thing. I actually hit my head on the roof of her car. A heated "domestic" then ensued as I tried to explain that hitting speed bumps at 35mph+ was not what they are in the road for:swear:

Uh, 35mph over a speed bump...  :worried:    I hate this type of drivers... 

Maybe @Toon99's car is being driven by other people too who are of a similar mindset like your neighbour's wife/daighters?

Talking of suspension (well a gearbox actually), after completing the build I'm currently trying to find out why the back end of my LR Discovery Lego kit is locked up & the wheels won't turn! Must have put a cog in backwards somewhere. Suspension works fine though!

image.png.46d1b0ca4b6a082dc973d4e326427da7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/01/2021 at 12:51, newbie69 said:

Uh, 35mph over a speed bump...  :worried:    I hate this type of drivers... 

Maybe @Toon99's car is being driven by other people too who are of a similar mindset like your neighbour's wife/daighters?

Absolutely no other drivers other than me, and this is absolutely nothing to due with driving style over any bumps whatsoever. It's pure mechanical failure under normal driving conditions. One of those things that just happen now and again guys - no blame to be apportioned anywhere that I can see. 

Anyway, pleased to report all is now good, car has been repaired and is back with its proud owner/driver. 

A commendable turnaround under the circumstances IMO (credit my local dealer and the SKODA ASSISTANCE team).......best thing is they have saved me my cross country commute in a shed of a VW Sharan that Enterprise had dropped off to use while mine way was "away".

Keep smiling and stay safe everyone 😊 

On 24/01/2021 at 17:09, MICKSVRS said:

I also got the Skoda valve caps but read here that they can be really difficult to remove. 

Maybe a dab of Vaseline (oooh matron) would suffice? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Brilliant, so glad you posted that, i've always used vaseline (for valve caps that is) and never had any problems, wasnt brave enough to admit it.  🤣

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Hope mine starts tomorrow. Not fired it up for a couple of weeks.:sweat:

How come, lockdown??

Yesterday had to travel to the dealers to get the clockspring replaced under warranty. 

4 minutes ago, MICKSVRS said:

How come, lockdown??

Yesterday had to travel to the dealers to get the clockspring replaced under warranty. 

No 2 weeks holiday and can't go anywhere plus wife's Karoq parked in front as we used it to make a couple of trips to the local tip to empty the garage after laminate flooring 6 rooms in our house. Been busy DIY but not going anywhere. Normally do 1,000 miles per month but since I bought it 4 months ago I've had 46 days on holiday so only done 2,500 miles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

What paint did you use or, was it new calipers?

I genuinely don’t know what type of paint was used. 

I got it done in a local panel beaters/Spraypainter when I saw they’d done the callipers on a white Ford Focus. 

I also asked them to get rid of the rust on the hubs. 

12 minutes ago, MICKSVRS said:

I genuinely don’t know what type of paint was used. 

I got it done in a local panel beaters/Spraypainter when I saw they’d done the callipers on a white Ford Focus. 

I also asked them to get rid of the rust on the hubs. 

OK. Like many my hubs are a bit grotty as well & the calipers could do with a spruce up. I might have a go at them when the weather gets a bit better so I was interested to find out how yours were done. I've been polishing brass this week (don't ask) for something to do so I might use my mini dremel tool to help clean up the hubs with some metal polish. Might as well put the trolley Jack & axle stands to good use & rotate the wheels / tyres while I'm at it. As for caliper paint I will have to investigate but I assume any paint suitable for engines would be OK. Question is what colour?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

What paint did you use or, was it new calipers?

If you're after good quality calliper paint, I used this:

BITS4REASONS - NEW MODEL E-TECH BRAKE CALIPER PROFESSIONAL GRADE PAINT KIT- PERFORMANCE HIGH TEMPERATURE RATED TO 220 C GRAPHITE: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

One kit has done the all four callipers (in 'graphite') on the Yeti and the front callipers and rear drums on the Citigo. Brushed on easily onto the callipers and hubs/drums and has lasted well. Still some left over in the tin.

Almost looks like the Citigo has discs on the rear....

Loads of different colours available.

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_8795.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

As for caliper paint I will have to investigate but I assume any paint suitable for engines would be OK. Question is what colour?

eBay has lots available - 250ml should easily be enough and red would be my preferred choice. No offence @MICKSVRS!
You might need some carb cleaner or similar to ensure the callipers are totally clean first though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, john999boy said:

eBay has lots available - 250ml should easily be enough and red would be my preferred choice. No offence @MICKSVRS!
You might need some carb cleaner or similar to ensure the callipers are totally clean first though.

Yep. Just been watching a couple of You Tube videos of guys painting calipers on their cars. Quite a bit of work & as usual the prep is all important. I have no garage (well not one I can get the car into) so I will have to wait for warmer weather. 

36 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

OK. Like many my hubs are a bit grotty as well & the calipers could do with a spruce up. I might have a go at them when the weather gets a bit better so I was interested to find out how yours were done. I've been polishing brass this week (don't ask) for something to do so I might use my mini dremel tool to help clean up the hubs with some metal polish. Might as well put the trolley Jack & axle stands to good use & rotate the wheels / tyres while I'm at it. As for caliper paint I will have to investigate but I assume any paint suitable for engines would be OK. Question is what colour?

There are loads of YT videos on both spray and brush painting of callipers. 

I have the axel stands etc but just don’t have the place (and in truth probably neither the patience) to do it myself. 

23 minutes ago, john999boy said:

None taken 😉

Everyone I know has painted their callipers red. 

I just want to be different I suppose. 

Now, if I was to change alloys, which ones?🧐

I seem to be doing something wrong using the search function.

I’m leaning towards black rims. But I think I may well be losing the plot 🤪

I have changed my mind four times in the past fortnight regarding replacement wheels. 

This is the white goddess 🤣🤣

E1F7DCE1-C7AF-43E1-B130-09E3923787A4.jpeg

55 minutes ago, MICKSVRS said:

None taken 😉

Everyone I know has painted their callipers red. 

I just want to be different I suppose. 

Now, if I was to change alloys, which ones?🧐

I seem to be doing something wrong using the search function.

I’m leaning towards black rims. But I think I may well be losing the plot 🤪

I have changed my mind four times in the past fortnight regarding replacement wheels. 

This is the white goddess 🤣🤣

E1F7DCE1-C7AF-43E1-B130-09E3923787A4.jpeg

Lowered?

How about getting the existing wheels powder coated black to match the black sportline trim. 

For me I don't think red calipers would do it on an L&K which is all about being more subtle. Mines black so perhaps black calipers to match.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Lowered?

How about getting the existing wheels powder coated black to match the black sportline trim. 

For me I don't think red calipers would do it on an L&K which is all about being more subtle. Mines black so perhaps black calipers to match.  

Yes, Eibach springs plus Eibach spacers. 

Powder coated is a great shout, never thought of that!

with all of that black going on, maybe a shiny silver for your callipers? 

Has anyone replaced the chrome piece on the bottom of the flat bottomed steering wheel with a ‘Superb’ one from Superskoda?

would like to get the metal footrest also but am anxious about fitting it myself!