New job - wrong decision?

Chris

I had been with my previous employer for over 5 years but a lack of progression and a different outlook of family life meant I needed to find myself a new job. I've been with my new employer a few weeks but I'm starting to regret it. 

I get paid more money, do less hours, it's closer to home (will be even closer upon completion of my training) and the benefits are better but I'm bored. I'm a manager, and was big box. Huge shop floor, 30 odd staff. Now, I'm in a trade counter, similar weekly figures but majority warehouse and it's just dull. 

Trying to suck it up but concerned I'm going to go crazy! Hopeful that when I get into my own branch it will be better.

Anyone else had this feeling. 

15 hours ago, Chris said:

Anyone else had this feeling. 

Can't say I have. Usually it's less money, too many hours and boring!

The way I see it - You work to live, not the other way around... and if you have a family to consider, supporting them is the only thing that matters. Everything else is secondary.

But really, if boredom is your biggest complaint, I'd say you're doing pretty well.

Almost like it's too easy?

Stop living to work, find the things you enjoy and have missing outside the shop and get back into those. 

Enjoy the time with the staff and the customers more. I'm telling you stuff you'll already know, but it's the personal touch that keeps people coming back in that sort of retail. Going the extra mile to listen, work stuff out, solve problems, and being like a mate to the customers. 

• Like 1

A few weeks isn't long enough to settle into a new job. I've always reckoned 3 months to get  to know what you're doing and who you're working with.

7 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Can't say I have. Usually it's less money, too many hours and boring!

This is why I've regretted moving. 

Less hours etc is a god send. 

I've re-evaluated things for similar reasons and am much happier not living to work. 

You're not really valued by most employers these days, and if you keeled over, would anyone really mourn you in work? Probably not. 

Given too much of myself over the years and thought of less than the bone idle suck ups who get all the promotions. 

Friend of mine had the same issue after a job move last year. It was into an area that he really really loves (air traffic control) where gets to apply his speciality from uni - mobile data transfer. He accepted the money was better than previous jobs, less travelling, but that the actual work wasnt challenging. He has toughed it out though, used the spare time to get back into other hobbies etc and told me on sunday hes just been promoted and will be transferring to a new role in transatlantic air traffic from domestic.

He is married, with one small daughter, wife is happy to move to the new location where quality of life (commute time etc) / cost of living is lower than where they are - inside the Dublin commuter belt.

The new role will also offer extra challenge in work but will give even more time for other pursuits, as he wont need to travel as far...

Neighbours Grass is always greener until you look at it properly and give yours a change to grow..

• Like 2

More money, less hours... more time do what you want, hobbies, family etc.

Most of us will never have a proper career that we love, so in your position I'd be looking at trying to accept it for what it is, and what it can provide me.

• Like 3

More pay, less hours, both good.
Boredom, when you think about it is also good, it means there is no stress!! Which means you can go home at the end of the day and just enjoy life, no getting stressed about work on sunday evening, just turn up, do the job, go home. Sometimes its how you look at it ;). As StevesTruck says, use the 'boring time' to perfect your skills, or find ways to improve things as a whole, then other more interesting (but hopefully not stressful) avenues will open up :)

Boredom can in itself be stressful. I hate being bored it something that would drive me out of a job but I think the OP hasn't been in post long enough to make a proper judgement yet.

Some years ago I was in a dull and boring job. An opportunity came up for something more interesting and dynamic. It was a nightmare. The place was in such a state I didn't know whether it was Wednesday or Easter, it was so manic. At the end of the first week I stood outside at about 8pm and thought to myself "what have I done?"

Weeks past and I was able to put my mark on the place - twenty five years later I am still there.

Just give yourself some time to adapt, step back and look at the bigger picture.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think I am in a similar position and certainly do regret the move.

5 Years for an International Electronics/Defence Contractor, Started as an Apprentice, worked into a Test Equipment Technician.

For my age it was okay pay, but no Degree so i had no career progression, but job was challenging and enjoyable.

Flexi Time, 37hr week, had to be in the office 5 days a week for core hours, but could do pretty much any hours i wanted. 1pm Finish on a friday too which was nice.

No quibble on Doctors visits, sick time. Only rarely did i ever have holiday requests declined.

Had paid Overtime too at 1.33 Weekday, 1.5 Sat, 2.0 Sun. I did do alot of it.

Left in Feb 2017, took a new job for a tiny <50 person company. Similar work, designing/building Bespoke Electronic test equipment. Relocated from Kent, to near Sheffield.

Main reason was a Promotion, 5k Payrise + Rent free stay in a company flat for 12 months.

The payrise meant  my "basic pay" equaled my old rate plus the overtime but at 37.5hrs a week.

"Flexi Start" but only Mon-Thurs.

Sick pay for upto 5 days, SSP after that. fewer holiday days.

No Overtime.

They have two sites, one in Scotland, the other where I work. But the production is done up there. I am the only Electronics engineer at my office (so no progression to Senior/Team lead etc). They cant seem to employ anyone else in the local area, they just dont get any bites/interest in the jobs, I dont think they offering enough pay for the expertise they are looking for. But none the less my job is hindered by the fact everything i design, is built 250 miles away and when communication is poor, it makes my job difficult. I had 6 weeks at their office and it was the most productive 6 weeks Ive had in the company!

While I was there I also found out that my colleagues in Scotland do get overtime, although my manager is adamant that we (at Sheffield) do not get it as we get some kind of sick pay (although that is not in the contract).  He threatened to doc my pay also if i continued to ask about it as I had half day sick due to food poisoning.

Issue is there was the promise of progression at the new job, but now I have been at the company for just over 18 months, ive realised there isnt any... 

Up til December I looked over a few dislikes about the company, I bought my first house and now Ive realised i am semi trapped which is not aiding the matter! However I have to admit, without moving to Sheffield, i would not have been able to afford to buy my first house on my own. The cost of living is significantly less here compared to Kent. 

Sorry to rant on a bit, but like you I have wondered if there are others out there in the same position, so I am partially relieved to know I am not a snowflake... or maybe i am acting like one?

Edited by Taylor93

You spend a lot of your life at work so it's important to be happy in your job and if you're not to take step to do something about it.

But that is often easier said than done when you have mortgages etc to consider.

• Like 1

Week 7 coming to a close. Supposed to have had 12 weeks training in my training store. End of last week, you need to go into your store from Monday as it's on its knees. 

I walk in on Monday to serious recruitment issues and a number 2 who was less than impressed with my appointment. Resolved that by having him moved to an alternative store and I'm getting someone else this coming Monday. Running the store with half the training I should have had is going to be fun....

Sounds like the next few weeks is going to be challenging. But on the positive side, it also means your new company has a lot of faith in you. If you can sort it you will be made - turnaround experts are rarer than hens' teeth, and you will be able to name your price to stay, or get five offers on the day when you put yourself back on the market. Good luck with it. 

• Like 2

You have to go in straight away with the big boots on to make your mark. Weed out all the dead wood and set it up how you want it and treat it as your own business.  Hugely satisfying. I left school with 4 CSE's. After completing my apprenticeship i vowed to do some training every year. That was 37 years ago. Did my MBA when my daughtet was 6 months old so that was a challenge. Get in there and mix it up a bit. You wont be bored then.