Trevorb33’s Fantasygreen Fabia 1.8t build take 2

TrevorB33

1 hour ago, Paul thornton said:

Hope you don't mind me asking but what's the score with removing the n249 valve?

I've just bought a beetle 1.8t and it's suffering with turbo chatter. Fault scanner says that the dump valve isn't working but I'm thinking of bypassing the n249 valve anyway so it's probably a good place to start.

Thanks.

Common mod mate lots of info about about it, but general consensus is it makes part throttle smoother, one less valve to go wrong and a big length of vac pipe to remove as well= less possible leaks. I’ve always removed it and never had any problems 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul thornton said:

What do you do with the 2 solenoids / valves? Leave them plugged in or replace with resisters?

Many thanks.

Either resistor them or get them coded out, I’ve removed the connections completely and dead ended the wires. I’m Going to get them coded out next time I get it mapped. You just get a constant amber eml otherwise

5 minutes ago, TrevorB33 said:

Indeed biggest regret I had getting rid, can’t wait to get cracking. Brakes and suspension is first call

Got to get my arse in gear and get mine back on the road to be honest. Almost thought about selling it a few times and talked myself out of it. I know if I did I would regret it afterwards.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Got to get my arse in gear and get mine back on the road to be honest. Almost thought about selling it a few times and talked myself out of it. I know if I did I would regret it afterwards.

I can’t believe how much I regretted it. And I’ve have some decent cars since. Just nothing compares to knowing you have built your own car. I learnt a lot from doing the first one and must admit I went a little too far with no heating and caged. I’d like to keep this as a useable 5 seater. That will take the occasional track day 

• Like 1

Had a spare hour tonight so been looking at the wiring on elsawin. Now I’ll be able to strip the Ibiza wiring under the dash remove the required relay/wiring to power the ecu, and pre install it in the Fabia so when the engine goes in it’ll be plug and play :). 

Getting some bits and bobs for next week and a trip to the scrappy to get some interior bits, hopefully be looking good by end of next week 

Looked into the central locking fault on the Fabia, drivers door lock would only lock and not unlock. Checked out the wiring on the Ibiza and it’s the same to the lock so they are interchangeable so went about swapping the lock over.

Ibiza front door stripped to take the hertz component speakers off too to swap over, and when stripping the Fabia found the door lock connector was broken and just pushed in, couple of pins were snapped inside. Unfortunately both Ibiza connector lock tabs are both broken too so I’ll have to get a connector from scrappy, I might even get a door loom as the led for alarm has been chopped off too, Fabia speakers have seen better days lol.

Got some sound deadening coming to do the doors when I fit the speakers. Probably stopped play until tues now. 

57D89AE8-2473-4B3D-AF1C-D83CC3186A88.jpeg

9D0F2CF0-2C17-40C5-8EA3-FDE7938382FE.jpeg

F40FF4F9-33A1-4293-9159-9EDF6B0A8895.jpeg

The silent coat sound deadening arrived so made a start on the n/s door and did the boot. Unfortunately the components out of the Ibiza don’t fit as they are too deep :( so I’ll look out for some more.

Also fitted the 16” spare and tool kit out of the Ibiza as it was missing on the fab. I’ll see if I can get another boot carpet as the reinforcement is missing too

F99BD33B-C83E-451C-B5A4-D0DC146E49F0.jpeg

90051550-7551-4AEF-BBFE-B36025E98026.jpeg

11DB2033-A407-40DC-A9C4-E5A935BF3B84.jpeg

Edited by TrevorB33
  • Like 3

Long list of bits to get from the scrappy tomorrow 

mirrors, I’ll probably go manual 

d/s window reg (runner held with cable tie lol)

d/s door wiring

all 4 door trims, 

electric window switches

N/s footwell trim (broken)

boot carpet.

key blank for n/s door so I can swap barrels over as the drivers door currently has a different key to ignition

also picked up some last second bits for the brakes/suspension swap, new rear pad/discs and front top mounts

Going to swap the nearly new rear calipers from Ibiza over to the Fabia along with the ST suspension hopefully Wednesday if the weather holds out. Also got some pioneer components to fit to the front doors coming weds too 

Edited by TrevorB33