41 mpg for Superb, is this reasonable?

Goderich

Hi,

I have found that over a series of mostly long runs I have got 41 mpg. I have a 2010  automatic estate with a 2 litre diesel engine and 18 inch wheels. I know there are a lot of variables but this seems low compared to what other people seem to be getting. I am light-footed and on other cars have generally got better than average mpg. It also seems low compared to what the display was showing with one run displayed as 53mpg.  Does this figure seem reasonable? Is there anything I should be looking at to improve MPG? Is it possible the display figure is wrong. (I do have it set to imperial gallons).

Thanks,

Andrew

Sorry, but confused by what you mean by you genarally get better than average.

Average is made from the average of highs and lows.  

Your car takes 5-10 miles of a journey does it not before the engine and oil is at an efficient temp, so not getting average MPG, getting the lowest. Sitting ticking over with the engine running it is doing 0 miles per gallon.  That is the lowest of the average.

?

Does it ever show better than 53 mpg on the maxidot like at 50 mph through Average Speed Camera areas?

The thing is that if sometimes you get 53mpg and sometimes just 32 mpg then 41 mpg from 10 gallons so 410 miles might be right.

Nicer if you can get 45 mpg, & 450 miles for 10 gallons. but then you might need to showing 58 mpg sometimes.

How many miles do you get from a tank brimmed then how many litres needed to brim the tank again.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Goderich said:

Hi,

I have found that over a series of mostly long runs I have got 41 mpg. I have a 2010  automatic estate with a 2 litre diesel engine and 18 inch wheels. I know there are a lot of variables but this seems low compared to what other people seem to be getting. I am light-footed and on other cars have generally got better than average mpg. It also seems low compared to what the display was showing with one run displayed as 53mpg.  Does this figure seem reasonable? Is there anything I should be looking at to improve MPG? Is it possible the display figure is wrong. (I do have it set to imperial gallons).

Thanks,

Andrew

I get better than that out my manual petrol Superb .

Is yours the 4x4? Are you sure brakes aren't dragging?

I have calculated this from 386 miles for 43 litres. It is not the 4 x4. I don't know about brakes dragging, I guess I would have to get a mechanic to look at it. Honest JOhn quoted 46 mpg for real mpg for Mk II Superbs but might include smaller engines.

But if Honest John gets that from others MPG that would be an Average, so some might get 50 mpg and some 40 mpg.

& then there is different road surfaces in different counties, and flat areas and hilly areas, and cars with a driver and ones with passengers and some will be Taxis 

and sitting idling many hours a day and never cooled down.

Thats why there is no 'Real World Driving Figures' because there are millions of cars in the world.  Big place, the UK South to North has many different weather conditions ever day and night as well.

• Like 1

Hi I have a 2012 170 dsg, on a run maxidot shows~50mpg @70mph, however 60mph on a 5 mile run to work at best shows 43mpg. On the way back from work the average gets to 50mpg but this is mostly 50mph.  However when we were on our hols up in Newcastle I was easily achieving >50mpg but this was cos where we were staying anywhere was at least 30 miles away and the roads were straight and free flowing. Basically i have found that the best results are obtained at>60mph and that the dsg shifts to 6th too soon labouring the engine. Mine has been remapped and  has around 200bhp now... in slow traffic I use the manual option with the dsg

Edited by roynhayley
fat fingers

Hi Goderich, many will agree a remap will be beneficial, I had  £17 insurance increase but to be honest the car now is what is should have been from the factory. The choice of remap is up to you, there re several people that sing the praises of Shark performance. I went for a local remap at oxford performance autos in Freeland a few miles from where I live, had it done at the same time as having my alloys refurbished. I have now done 12k on the remap and the car stlill makes me smile.

• Like 1

What other cars have you had? The figure you mention doesn't sound implausible for the Superb. With a driver and full fuel tank it's heading for 1.8 tonnes kerbweight, and the DSG gearing is a bit shorter than the manual's, which chips away a bit more at the economy.

I have more or less the same car as you and average around 7.5-8 l/100 km (~35-38 mpg) but most of my driving is urban. On a motorway run it'll drop to about 5.8 @ 120 km/h.

34 minutes ago, roynhayley said:

The choice of remap is up to you, there re several people that sing the praises of Shark performance. 

Unfortunately I believe that Shark are no longer trading. 

Hi, yes looks like they have been taken over;

Shark Performance Limited, Mansfield, has now ceased trading and will not re-open.

Shark’s operations and IP have been taken on by RacingLine Performance Ltd, meaning that all Shark Performance dealers will continue to offer the same excellent performance tuning software and hardware as before. Existing Shark Performance customers will of course continue to be fully supported via the Shark Performance dealer network, with the backing of RacingLine in Milton Keynes.

We can’t wait to make more cars go faster with all of our dealers, customers and friends as a new chapter opens up at RacingLine.

Please direct all enquiries to [email protected]

• Like 1

I've done a 180 mile trip today -  mostly on dual carriageway roads,  travelling at the legal limit with some slower stretches due to roadworks and the Maxidot showed 64mpg. I acknowledge that the reading is usually very optimistic so I would suspect that 55mpg is closer to the mark.  Nonetheless I'm happy with this.  Car is CR140 Elegance on 18" wheels. 

I've noticed that the mpg is significantly lower on shorter trips, which is to be expected. 

Drefaldwyn 

• Like 1

Short trips for me have supercar economy.......less than 20mpg, going to the shops with a stone cold engine,  start stop  traffic on the A40 never getting above 30mph A40 in west oxford is a nightmare anytime of the day due to stupid traffic lights.

1 hour ago, roynhayley said:

Short trips for me have supercar economy.......less than 20mpg, going to the shops with a stone cold engine,  start stop  traffic on the A40 never getting above 30mph A40 in west oxford is a nightmare anytime of the day due to stupid traffic lights.

Most cars have awful economy for the first few miles until warmed up - although some later engines try to address this in varios ways eg multiple water pumps.

For lots of stop/start traffic hybrid is the way to go - a friend has a Toyota Prius Touring Hybrid and in stop/start traffic conditions it's fabulous

Edited by bigjohn

For me 2011 DSG 170 combi TDI. I do mostly motorway, 96 miles  a day each way. I live a mile from the motorway. Work is about 5 miles from the motorway. Car can say 58-60+ mpg. Brim to brim it pretty much always says 48mpg. 

I drive through 50mph m1 and m6 stretches. I do give it some beans. Like to cruise around the speed limit. Traffic is heavy most of my trip. And I also get to crawl a for the last 10 miles both ways. I also stick it in manual in traffic. Local roads the mpg is appalling. Car says 35 most the time if I do a local trip. 

• Like 1

Dear all,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. WIll certainly look at air filter and tyres. Re-mapping sounds tempting, but I just wonder if the tradeoff is engine longevity? Why would VAG as one of the world's second-biggest auto manufacturer be so far out on their tuning? It doesn't quite make sense.

18 minutes ago, Goderich said:

Dear all,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. WIll certainly look at air filter and tyres. Re-mapping sounds tempting, but I just wonder if the tradeoff is engine longevity? Why would VAG as one of the world's second-biggest auto manufacturer be so far out on their tuning? It doesn't quite make sense.

The stock tune has to accommodate a lot of in-service variables: fuel quality, servicing, air temperature, etc, etc. It is normal for any manufacturer to keep the stock tune conservative to avoid problems as much as possible. So there's room for aftermarket tuners to boost performance.

OT,  but as to a Toyota Prius touring hybrid, great to hear that it is doing what it is designed to, using electric power when the ICE is not needed.

Big difference between a diesel using or not using stop start and a 1.8 petrol plug in hybrid though.

VW had the Golf GTE & Passat & A3 Plug in Hybrids, and these 1.4TSI are discontinued and we are waiting on the 1.5TSI Hybrids and what the WLTP / RDE figures are.  Correctly tested ones.

Edited by Offski

It is reassuring in a way that others find the maxidot overreading on mpg in so far as I am not doing anything wrong. However, Either VAG have got their engineering wrong, unlikely, or they are trying to deceive people about the mpg, it would seem,

Long term average for my 280 is 32.5 MPG.  Mixed driving yesterday over 200 miles and I had 43.7MPG indicated on the last stretch of motorway.  This car also has all season tyres which aren't always the best for economy.  I've had 11 years of diesel ownership before this, ranging from the 130 PD to a 240ps remapped CR, all of them easily hit 50+MPG.  The remapped TDI was the best on economy and was problem free for the 3 years I owned it.   Though in fairness EU compliance has made the engines in MQB cars much more refined and efficient IME. 

I'd say low 40's from a diesel Superb is 'worrying'.  

Any signs of leaks, cracked hoses or similar?  Have you had the car scanned for faults or similar?  Is yours the 140 or 170 flavour?  I had a 140PS Passat CC (6spd man) in 2009 and that would achieve 55-60MPG, without much effort. 

Though my driving routes, duration etc may just lend themselves to yield better economy.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I'd say low 40's from a diesel Superb is 'worrying'. 

It depends very much on your driving patterns. Mine is routinely worse than that but most of my driving is urban which is where a diesel hauling a heavy car around is always going to suffer. If I spent all my time on the motorway I'd have different expectations.