Insurance at 70 Years Old; Big Hike?

gumdrop

Coming up to the big 70, first thing anyone says is your car insurance will soar.

Has anyone experience of this hike in prices?

This could affect whether or not I keep the Yeti as it is coming to contracts end.

I am sure someone has said that there is an age premium

Obviously different companies price their risk profiles different ways, so it might be worth shopping around

Also check you are not still on some historic thing you no longer need, why include commuting or business use if no longer needed

One other thing is don't forget to renew your driving licence, as the expire at 70th birthday

• Like 1

I am 71 and my premiums have not been noticeably affected.

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that older drivers are a higher risk.

Edited by gkr47
  • Like 1

It all depends on your individual insurance company statistical analysis of 70+ yr olds and their claims, maybe even in your local area or driving the same model of car, maybe even the same colour. Secret knowledge.

You'll find out when you renew, but don't panic, rejoice, plenty of alternative companies out there desperate to get your business. Shop around.

Edited by xman

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Coming up to the big 70, first thing anyone says is your car insurance will soar.

This could affect whether or not I keep the Yeti as it is coming to contracts end.

Certainly not the case in my experience. 

I am now 71 and Fully Comp plus Business Use plus SWMBO to drive for my brand new Kodiaq 1.4TSI SE 5 seater comes in at under £200, same as for my 4.5yr old Superb 1.6 TDI Greenline which was traded in for the Kodiaq. 

This is comparable to what I was paying before I became a grumpy old septegenerian. 

I always shop around at renewal, (Confused.com, Compare the Market etc).  Switching is easy and I always go for the cheapest premium from a reputable insurer.

• Like 1

!!!!! :wait:

This thread is not "really" about insurance, its about finding out how many 70+ yr olds there are on Briskoda...

:nerd:

Simple formula

N >= M/2

where N is no. of 70+ yr olds, M = total no. of Briskoda members.

:blush

I'd second LV= as I've stayed with them for about 15 years, and have never had a renewal over £250, including protected no claims, cover for me driving 3rd party's vehicles and use for my employer's business.

7 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

One other thing is don't forget to renew your driving licence, as the expire at 70th birthday

Be very aware it might not be just a straight renewal!

If you want/need to keep the entitlement to drive over 3500kg then you need a doctors cert. It doesn't bother most people but will prevent me from towing my caravan/boat if I don't keep the relevant groups.

You will also have to do it by post not online.......easy trap to fall into

Edited by idleness
  • Like 1

With so many online sites “go compare “ “uswitch” etc etc  a quick search will usually bring the price of you insurance down,it means a short search every year but saves you hundreds ,I had my house /contents ins renewal from LV this year and it had gone up from £185 to  £300 so a quick search and a better deal for £175.(wasn’t the lowest) if you don’t look you can be paying more each year.

12 hours ago, gumdrop said:

I am 81 and have not been Penalised because of my Age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sad555 said:

I had my house /contents ins renewal from LV this year and it had gone up from £185 to  £300

LV proposed a 40% increase this year, no explanations, no apologies.  Bye bye. They'll lose my car business, too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I'd second LV= as I've stayed with them for about 15 years, and have never had a renewal over £250, including protected no claims, cover for me driving 3rd party's vehicles and use for my employer's business.

We’ve used LV quite a bit but as with the house ins (now gone to ( Churchill ) also changed the ins on the wife’s car to saga, fully comp ,protected,+ named driver and just over £110. it appears most companies are not interested in loyalty any more and in fact use it against you to increase premiums as it has shown in recent reports so for the sake of an hour on the inter web in can be very cost effective in fact over 15 years ago my car and house ins were  together reduced by over £400 because I’d just accepted their renewal quote without a check.

I have been with the Coop for twenty odd years and I have been incident free. My premium actually went down this year and is around £230. In two years time I also will be 70 so awaiting if I get a premium hike.

Edited by edbostan

The main problem is that some insurance companies have a maximum age limit. My late father as mentioned in an earlier post at 93 years old found L&V to take him on. Although he had a Kia Picanto his premium was in the £400s. This was 5 years ago so the situation may have changed. He had driven for 50 years and claim free.

Edited by edbostan