MY2019 vRS orders who's got what coming?

Yeah, stay away from eco and you'll see an improvement. I don't think there's really anything else to set up that makes much difference. 

My long term average in the 245 is currently 39mpg (as measured by fill ups, not the OBC) but mine spends most of its life on A roads where the traffic is flowing at 55 to 65mph. If I sit on the motorway at 70mph the drop is noticeable, just from that 5mph increase. My AC is permanently enabled too, obviously that's worth a couple of mpg and you might find a lot of people turn it off. 

Like you, I didn't get the car to be super economic, it's just a happy coincidence that it's returning such figures on my daily drives to work. It's easy to drag those numbers down when you want though! If I had no fun at all in it, I reckon the long term would be more like 44mpg for me! :blink:

1 hour ago, Kenai said:

If you have a DSG, you'll probably find you get better economy in normal rather than eco. In eco it constantly drops into neutral and the engine idles but in normal, it stays in gear and in the same situations the wheels keep the engine turning and fuel is shut off. The biggest gain is always from anticipation and coasting to a stop rather than using brakes. Every time you touch the brake, that's a little bit of mpg thrown away. 

Eco mode can coast for miles without touching the accelerator pedal though. Engine braking kills so much of the kinetic energy by comparison.
I imagine the savings depend on the roads you normally travel, but I'm sure it's better for me as I am fortunate to have an "A road" style journey for work where eco coasting is great. Sadly I'm not in a vRS though.

24 minutes ago, DavidY said:

Eco mode can coast for miles without touching the accelerator pedal though. Engine braking kills so much of the kinetic energy by comparison.
I imagine the savings depend on the roads you normally travel, but I'm sure it's better for me as I am fortunate to have an "A road" style journey for work where eco coasting is great. Sadly I'm not in a vRS though.

Most of my driving is A roads, mixed with a few B roads and Normal has always outperformed Eco for me, easily. And that's with Eco having the added benefit of no air con running. I find it easier to hit 40mpg in Sport than Eco. 

I make a lot of use of engine braking though, where eco mode fails for me, as you can't tell it "this time I want to slow down gradually not try to coast as far as possible". 

Sat on a long straight A road with no changes in speed, maybe Eco would work better. Whilst I drive on A roads, around the South/South West lots of them are up and down hills, twisty etc. so your speed is up and down all the time, so engine braking for all that gives more benefit than coasting. 

20 minutes ago, Kenai said:

I make a lot of use of engine braking though, where eco mode fails for me, as you can't tell it "this time I want to slow down gradually not try to coast as far as possible". 

Sat on a long straight A road with no changes in speed, maybe Eco would work better. Whilst I drive on A roads, around the South/South West lots of them are up and down hills, twisty etc. so your speed is up and down all the time, so engine braking for all that gives more benefit than coasting. 

If I want to slow down gradually with engine braking, I find it's easy enough to very lightly touch the brakes for an instant (which stops Eco mode until I accelerate again), or move the lever over into manual and let it drop down through the gears (remembering to put it back over into D before accelerating).

But yes I can see that lots of tight bends or big hills would be less suited to it. Most of the hills and bends on my journey are gentle, and crucially it's a fairly quiet route so I don't normally have someone right behind me and I can, for instance, let go of the accelerator before the brow of a hill, slow down a little as I coast over the crest, and not end up with too much speed freewheeling down the other side. 

As above I will trigger engine braking to slow down though.

I do appreciate that what works on my route won't work so easily everywhere, though.

I was always told that if you have an accident with the car in neutral and the police will not be impressed as they can say you are not fully in control or it's not being controlled properly, I would recommend that you be careful doing it. 

6 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I was always told that if you have an accident with the car in neutral and the police will not be impressed as they can say you are not fully in control or it's not being controlled properly, I would recommend that you be careful doing it. 

We're not talking about the putting the selector into neutral, the gearbox effectively puts it into neutral by disengaging the clutch when it engages 'coast' mode on the eco setting. The gears will immediately reengage as soon as you touch either pedal, which isn't the case in a manual that you've dropped out of gear.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DavidY said:

If I want to slow down gradually with engine braking, I find it's easy enough to very lightly touch the brakes for an instant (which stops Eco mode until I accelerate again), or move the lever over into manual and let it drop down through the gears (remembering to put it back over into D before accelerating).

But yes I can see that lots of tight bends or big hills would be less suited to it. Most of the hills and bends on my journey are gentle, and crucially it's a fairly quiet route so I don't normally have someone right behind me and I can, for instance, let go of the accelerator before the brow of a hill, slow down a little as I coast over the crest, and not end up with too much speed freewheeling down the other side. 

As above I will trigger engine braking to slow down though.

I do appreciate that what works on my route won't work so easily everywhere, though.

Ok so about 60ish mile trip all round cross country, dual carriageway, A and B and proper country lanes today. I used normal both ways and didn't go crazy as the family were in the car but then I don't drive like miss daisy either. Coming back I got 38.8 avg mpg :) getting closer to that magic 40mpg avg challenge

58 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

Picked up mine today :)

Meteor Grey DSG, only option is spare wheel.

old and new.jpg

Awesome, identical to mine save the colour. Enjoy! Was just out driving mine after work as it was a working at home Friday today. We're on around 280 miles now. Basically it's not a commuter car, my wife uses it to get around town in the week and it gets used properly on the weekend

2 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

It’s early days, but so far the rear suspension seems better than on my old VRS. Far quieter and less boomy. Wonder if there have been some improvements to the setup?

I think the Estate bodyshell contributes to this problem more than the hatch. My aftermarket exhaust has not affected cruising refinement at all. Indeed at Snetterton the noise levels were tested and found to be only 76 decibels at 4,500rpm (135mph in 6th gear).:D

• 1 month later...

I've activated a few things on mine via VCDS - High beam assist, Cornering Fogs, Auto close windows when raining, Front wipers auto park, Tear drop wipe front and rear and Traffic Sign Recognition

Edited by SimonD316
Doh!

On 16/11/2018 at 17:09, SimonD316 said:

On 16/11/2018 at 17:09, SimonD316 said:

Picked up mine today :)

Meteor Grey DSG, only option is spare wheel.

old and new.jpg

10 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

I've activated a few things on mine via VCDS - High beam assist, Cornering Fogs, Auto close windows and sunroof when raining, Front wipers auto park, Tear drop wipe front and rear and Traffic Sign Recognition

I must congratulate you on activating Auto Close for the Sunroof when it's raining.  Looking at the Picture you have no Sunroof..........:shake:

38 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

I've activated a few things on mine via VCDS - High beam assist, Cornering Fogs, Auto close windows when raining, Front wipers auto park, Tear drop wipe front and rear and Traffic Sign Recognition

Can you explain to me what the teardrop wipe is please?

1 minute ago, Scotty72 said:

Can you explain to me what the teardrop wipe is please?

After you've cleaned the screen with the wipers, there is always a bit of water that ends up left on the screen. The teardrop wipe gets rid of that. You can see it in this video

5 minutes ago, SimonD316 said:

After you've cleaned the screen with the wipers, there is always a bit of water that ends up left on the screen. The teardrop wipe gets rid of that. You can see it in this video

Thanks, got it now :) I was wondering if it's possible to make the auto wipers more sensitive.. They can be pretty bad at picking up drizzle or very light rain. I've found them very inconsistent lol am I expecting too much?

Edited by Scotty72

5 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Thanks, got it now :) I was wondering if it's possible to make the auto wipers more sensitive.. They can be pretty bad at picking up drizzle or very light rain. I've found them very inconsistent lol am I expecting too much?

The sensitivity adjuster is on top of the wiper control arm

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Pop around if you wanna know anything else

I'm at the Christmas lights display just down from King George the 5th play park

Thanks for the kind offer, given the weather I'll skip this time thanks. Just cycled home from the station (with waterproofs) time to warm up and dry out. :)