I got the reply back from Skoda.. following is the email

"  Re: ŠKODA OCTAVIA Hatch – CK67 XXX

Dear .................

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK regarding your vehicle timing belt change and service history enquiry.

I have gone ahead and spoke with our Technical Support Team to confirm about  your vehicle timing belt change. The team has advised that your vehicle is fitted with a timing belt and there is no mileage stipulation for the timing belt replacement on this vehicle however, the UK recommendation is that the timing belt be replaced every 5 years.

Having checked our records, I can confirm that the information attached is the service history that was done through our Approved ŠKODA retailer. Please note, this information does not include any servicing which may have been completed independently of our network. Should you have had your vehicle serviced independently you will need to contact them.

I hope this information proves useful.

You may receive a survey about the service that I have provided. I would be grateful if you have the time to complete this, as it will help me to provide the best customer experience possible.

Kind regards

Nomampondomise Plaatijie
Customer Relations Advisor

ŠKODA UK | PO Box 9004 | Leeds | LS1 9WA
Tel:  0333 0037504  "

Edited by automass
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, automass said:

I got the reply back from Skoda.. following is the email

the UK recommendation is that the timing belt be replaced every 5 years.

So just a repeat of the Skoda UK recommendation - which is inconsistent with VW techical documentation and all (AFAIK) other countries.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, toot said:

UK Owners are the Goose that keeps on laying the Golden Eggs for UK Main dealerships. 

They are not so keen to charge a reasonable price to do 1.5 TSI Timing Belts.

Owners of them can expect a shock if having them replaced @ 5 years. 

That's if a 1.5t owner were to use a Skoda dealership to change their belt on a 5 year old car, I certainly wouldn't, I'd use a good independent garage & save a considerable amount.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toot said:

They need the gear and more than ideas. 

Lets us know how much you are quoted please.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/507544-cam-belt-for-15-tsi-in-east-kent

I wouldn't use an independent that couldn't do the job. It's not due for a year, yet. I've used a few decent independents over the years that I'd trust. 

If I do have it done before I sell my car, I'll post prices. Looking at your link, I think Skoda would of had my eyes out. Yet their servicing prices seem more competitive generally, compared to some other manufacturers.

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 3

I know I'm repeating myself but a Skoda dealership in Munich informed me that, having checked my VIN (Irish Reg VRS TDI) that the interval was 210,000km without a time limit but would advise every 10 years just in case. 

The 10 year interval sounds far more reasonable. That said, on the issue of who I would get to change my belt, in Ireland the dealer wanted €500 but the peace of mind of the 2 year warranty is worth the extra €50 vs the independent imo. Got a quote of €550 from the German dealer.

Edited by foregonereality
  • Like 2

On 24/12/2022 at 17:04, Warrior193 said:

Get it carefully visually inspected at 5 years and consider replacing

Spoiler

t 6 - again depending on inspection. 

Wow, lots of different opinions. Totally confusing. What UK Skoda said was 5years intervals regardless mileage. Probably, I'll linger it as much as possible..when I'll hit 7miles or 120k miles, I'll consider changing..meanwhile I will keep it inspected every time I do servicing in my local garage .

• Like 1

Happy New Year guys.

I spoke to my local Skoda dealer today.  they also confirmed me that, my particular car has FIVE years interval for timing belt change regardless of mileage. So they gave me a quote of almost £900 and after especial discount it was £699 (inc. vat). No water pump changing required. water pump located at the back of the engine, therefore it doesn't have to do anything with the timing belt. I asked the man to give me the breakdown of the price. he gave me almost £300 for the toothed belt and other components of the timing belt. I am just wondering is it really that critical job that they have to charge that much money!!!!

10 hours ago, automass said:

Happy New Year guys.

I spoke to my local Skoda dealer today.  they also confirmed me that, my particular car has FIVE years interval for timing belt change regardless of mileage. So they gave me a quote of almost £900 and after especial discount it was £699 (inc. vat). No water pump changing required. water pump located at the back of the engine, therefore it doesn't have to do anything with the timing belt. I asked the man to give me the breakdown of the price. he gave me almost £300 for the toothed belt and other components of the timing belt. I am just wondering is it really that critical job that they have to charge that much money!!!!

Well that's not surprising is it as they'll just be reiterating the Skoda UK line re time interval that differs from the rest of the world... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, automass said:

Happy New Year guys.

The price quoted for the timing belt is outrageous! - cam belt kit GSF129VG0990 for my MY16 1.4TSI was priced at £98.42 when I had mine changed (at 6 years) in October 2021. 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2023 at 00:43, automass said:

Happy New Year guys.

I spoke to my local Skoda dealer today.  they also confirmed me that, my particular car has FIVE years interval for timing belt change regardless of mileage. So they gave me a quote of almost £900 and after especial discount it was £699 (inc. vat). 

That's outrageous, Barnstaple Marshalls Skoda only charged me just over £500 for timing belt, service and MOT on my 1.4TSI.

On 01/01/2023 at 00:43, automass said:

Happy New Year guys.

If you don't mind me asking, but which dealer did you use? 

• 9 months later...

Just spoke to a Skoda chat person who stated the time part of the intervals has been lifted across VAG group as of July and my 2.0l diesel mk3 is due at 140000 miles. 

IMG_3394.png

IMG_3393.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...