Boot Light

Looking at replacing my boot light with something vaguely effective as the stock light in the VRS is poor to say the least. I've found https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32791071534.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32791071534&productSubject=32791071534&shortkey=fyayy22m&addresstype=600. What are people's experience with Aliexpress, I've never heard of them before?

Thanks.

My vehicle threw up a fault code when I fitted a pattern part puddle light that had a different bulb type and wattage, I could not even see the difference in illumination but it was enough for the control module, it said wrong wattage so I would expect a LED bulb to be seen as a blown or missing bulb.

I will try some for the luggage compartment lights nonetheless.

7 hours ago, Maverick567 said:

Looking at replacing my boot light with something vaguely effective as the stock light in the VRS is poor to say the least. I've found https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32791071534.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32791071534&productSubject=32791071534&shortkey=fyayy22m&addresstype=600. What are people's experience with Aliexpress, I've never heard of them before?

Thanks.

I got some off Aliexpress and the car had a fit when trying to lock it, car wouldn't lock as it thought the boot was open... then closes.... then open over and over so had to tear them out just to lock the car.

I bought these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-2x-LED-Car-Door-Courtesy-Laser-Logo-Projector-Light-Footwell-Luggage-Lamp-For-AUDI-VW/32791071534.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1afe4c4dn6e7Gw

No problem with delivery, I've bought about £100 worth of Xiaomi home automation stuff on there as well. No problems.

The LED are great, very bright and makes the boot usable in the dark. No problems locking, but when driving, if the passenger opens glovebox, the car thinks the boot is open/close/open/closed. Apart from glovebox when driving, it's been great, been in my car for over a year now.

I've used AliExpress for quite a few things - they're OK - no better, no worse than any other site like that.  Delivery times are often a bit long though.

I used these Osram bulbs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-Cool-White-LED-6000K-501-W5W-12V-1W-Retrofit-2880CW-02B-x2/142791008169?epid=1805416658&hash=item213f01dfa9:g:zQEAAOSwyGBa9aM9

You can do the whole interior with them - two in the front, three in the back, two in the boot and one in the glovebox

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JulieD said:

I used these Osram bulbs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-Cool-White-LED-6000K-501-W5W-12V-1W-Retrofit-2880CW-02B-x2/142791008169?epid=1805416658&hash=item213f01dfa9:g:zQEAAOSwyGBa9aM9

You can do the whole interior with them - two in the front, three in the back, two in the boot and one in the glovebox

I'm looking to update my interior lights to LED. You've not had any issues with these at all?

I am reading a couple of threads where people have used LED's and then had locking problems and one who said that if whilst driving the glovebox is opened they get a "door open " warning on the dash. Nothing like that with these?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Stoofa said:

I'm looking to update my interior lights to LED. You've not had any issues with these at all?

I am reading a couple of threads where people have used LED's and then had locking problems and one who said that if whilst driving the glovebox is opened they get a "door open " warning on the dash. Nothing like that with these?

Thanks.

No problems at all with these bulbs.  Just make sure you check they work when you put them in - turn them through 180 degrees if they don’t (unlike normal bulbs LED bulbs are polarity sensitive)

• Like 1

I use the philips xtreme leds on the interrior with the exception of the boot interrior and doors where i used the superskoda full led replacement units for the extra brightness. No issues at all 

On 14/11/2018 at 14:17, Pump said:

Just changed mine for these :thumbup:

Before and after photo's, taken three minutes apart, same iPhone SE, no flash and no change in the ambient light, and I'd say what the photo's show are a pretty good depiction of what you get:

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

Having seen the difference, MrsV6TDI now wants me to do her Polo, so they also come with the SWMBO seal of approval (quite unusual).

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, V6TDI said:

Just changed mine for these :thumbup:

Before and after photo's, taken three minutes apart, same iPhone SE, no flash and no change in the ambient light, and I'd say what the photo's show are a pretty good depiction of what you get:

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

Having seen the difference, MrsV6TDI now wants me to do her Polo, so they also come with the SWMBO seal of approval (quite unusual).

Gaz

They look amazing, seem a bit steep at 35 euros but worth it if they do the job. Can anyone else show their osram versions at £10 a set for comparison?

I have a mk3 2016, ive also got a my19 on order. At this point I feel happy enough to order thinhs and pry apart my current car as a tester for the new one coming. I dont want to continue with the yellow lights. I'd really like to do everything, including puddle lights etc.

I took the Superskoda option on these too. I picked my car up last Saturday and immediately had a problem with the original lights, they weren't always coming on. I was told that the bulbs can get lose.

Fitted the Superskoda ones on Thursday when they arrived (took all of about 5 minutes to do them both) and they have never failed to light-up once and they are oh so bright.

More expensive that just replacing the bulbs I know, but in my opinion, well worth it.

23 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

They look amazing, seem a bit steep at 35 euros but worth it if they do the job. Can anyone else show their osram versions at £10 a set for comparison?

I have a mk3 2016, ive also got a my19 on order. At this point I feel happy enough to order thinhs and pry apart my current car as a tester for the new one coming. I dont want to continue with the yellow lights. I'd really like to do everything, including puddle lights etc.

I've just had a set of Philips X-tremeUltinon interior LED bulbs turn up, along with some Philips WhiteVision regular W5W bulbs. My plan was to fit the Ultinons in the boot lights, will give some feedback when I get them in. Not expecting them to match the SuperSkoda set but at least to be better than the originally installed dim bulbs.

39 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

They look amazing, seem a bit steep at 35 euros but worth it if they do the job.

I agree, they are pricey.  In their defence (not that they need it), they are whole units, not just bulbs.  Easy enough to change, if a tad fiddly getting both the plastic side clips prized at the same time.

It was a bit damp when I did it, and not wanting the lights on when I changed them, I closed the tailgate.  It's worth thinking about how you'll get back out of the car before closing the tailgate :blush

G

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just stuck the Philips Ultinons in the boot - they're brighter but not 'OMG HOW BRIGHT' brighter. Happy enough with them given they were cheap in the Black Friday deals but wouldn't suggest they're the best option if people are happy throwing £35+ at the SuperSkoda option, as they definitely seem 'WOW' brighter.

These Philips are certainly more than bright enough for what I need though - enough light to see where i'm chucking my bag as I leave work!

Only downside is that they're obviously a nice white light and the little torch that clips in the side of the boot is now very yellow in comparison.

Edited by Kenai

I got 4 of these (colour 9)

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32848599226.html?spm=a2g0n.orderlist-amp.item.32848599226&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=6229amp-HhMyu9nZZbU0SXLUvCzX-Q1543184217422

2 in the boot, and 2 for the red marker lights in the door cards. Really good, no Canbus problems, cheap enough that if they do cause any issues you can sling them.

All the LEDs are on one side, which is much more efficient than the 360 degree coverage ones, as the festoons don't have reflectors in them. And they are the correct polarity for the light to shine outwards!

Edited by O3SouthWales

On 17/11/2018 at 19:34, JulieD said:

No problems at all with these bulbs.  Just make sure you check they work when you put them in - turn them through 180 degrees if they don’t (unlike normal bulbs LED bulbs are polarity sensitive)

I fitted a couple of these into the front interior light this evening, based entirely on your recommendation! Theres been a few horror stories recently about bowiing tracks off circuit boards due to shorting out the 12v with the wrong kinds of housings on LEDs. These ones were perfect, Ive ordered some more for the rear, the glove box and the boot. I may or may not fit them, Im usong my My16 as a practice run for my My19 turning up! Thanks for the recommendation and the link, Ive not been able to find them cheaper anywhere else and they look great!

• Like 1