Servicing

I've had mine set to variable as I did my Mk2.5.

On my old car I think I average between 17k - 18k per service.

Others will tell you that no, you should be sticking with the 12k fixed.

14 hours ago, D 1029 said:

What are the service intervals on the FL 2018 Octavia.

Coming from Oldham, I'd take a guess you should be on time and mileage - i.e. every 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

If however your driving avoids stop/start and involves longer runs ( is that possible in North Manchester? ) then you can get away with flexible servicing  (the car will indicate when it requires servicing) but to do so, your car needs set to longlife intervals and longlife grade oil was used at the last service. ( if car is less than 12mth old, it's filled with longlife oil at the factory).

note: when I say flexible servicing, that means a maximum of either:

24mth or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first)

24mth or 19,000 miles (whichever comes first)

24mth or 20,000 miles (whichever comes first)

Those are published figures for VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda - just depends what document you read. Don't think that the manufacturer / dealer must know because even their employees give different answers. Welcome to VW group servicing :devil:

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

Coming from Oldham, I'd take a guess you should be on time and mileage - i.e. every 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

It's 10,000 miles, or 9,320 to be precise (15,000 km's).

To keep it simple there are two different types of service interval to choose from...

1) Fixed (interim) - 10,000 miles, or 12 months, whichever is reached first. Suitable for low annual mileage, arduous conditions.

2) Variable (major) - Up to 20,000 miles or 24 months. The car monitors your driving style and decides for itself when it needs a service. Suitable for high annual mileage.

All Octavia models destined for the UK are set at the factory to Variable. The dealer should ask you which you prefer and change it accordingly before you collect the car.

A fixed service is £169. A variable service is £279...

Capture.JPG.861d62925e3c74665311ba5eac7c5425.JPG

As mentioned, if you press the 'Service' button in the infotainment system the car will tell you how many days and miles are left before it is due its next service.

I'm not sure you're quite correct with the statement 'Fixed is £169, Variable is £279' - the picture you've posted is for fixed service intervals only but on an alternating basis, so on the fixed regime you'd be servicing Interim, Major, Interim, Major, Interim, Major etc. etc. 

Variable is a bit more of a mystery and as I understand it effectively they tell you what the car needs based on whatever mileage you happen to be on at the time, with the price quoted at the time based on those requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenai said:

Variable is a bit more of a mystery

If ever there was an understatement :giggle:  but mystery is as good a word as any, because as far as I've been able to work out, both Skoda and SEAT are guilty of not having anything in writing. And anything they do write is ambiguous.

There is no wrong or right.

The post from silver1001 above is correct only for one particular circumstance. You also have to deal with the term FULL service, Inspection service, oil service (means different things to different people) cars under 3yr car over 3yr etc etc etc...  it's a minefield of confusion. But wording like eg arduous conditions is helpful to nobody - everyone (including each Skoda employee) will have their own definition of arduous.

At least VW and Audi make it clear on their websites exactly what that max. longlife figure is - 18k and 19k respectfully - even then they state this figure is an approximation. I've yet to see any written confirmation from Skoda or SEAT what the max. miles are for longlife servicing is but it's obviously going to be inline with what VW and Audi say (given it's the same engine using the same parts ad same service routine).  I've certainly heard different Skoda and SEAT dealers give different information - I've even heard the same SEAT dealership give conflicting information and then an argument broke out between the service reception staff.  :wall:

As long as the service is done by a VAT registered company, you can take it anywhere to be serviced and as long as they use recommended manufacturer parts, and keep proof of the service, parts used and note the car's mileage then the warranty is intact.

As for the published prices - those are the recommended prices - dealers are perfectly free to charge higher or lower (it's in the small print).

Let's not have another lengthy thread on servicing - it's been done to death and as I say, there's no wrong or right answer.  Best speaking to the garage who's going to carry out the work as their interpretation of manufacturer servicing is the only one that matters.

Edited by Guest

Just now, Scot5 said:

As for the published prices - those are the recommended prices - dealers are perfectly free to charge higher or lower (it's in the small print).

The published pricing only applies to cars over 3 years old and on the fixed servicing regime. It also requires dealer participation (most do). Dealers are free to charge lower but not higher if a participant in the fixed price servicing scheme.

• Like 1

It’s kind of a grey area as described above. I don’t bother getting the major service done as it’s all checks apart from the fuel filter and I’ll either have TPS supply one for me to fit or leave it in the car for the dealer to fit and I’m charged £15 on top of the minor service cost. Air filter is also missing from the minor service but I asked nicely last time and the dealer chucked one on for free. At the moment they are doing a basic oil change for £99 which I’m tempted by as the car doesn’t need a wash by them, doesn’t need a test drive (their test drive is down from the VW building where the workshop is to the Skoda building anyway), doesn’t need software updates, doesn’t need a pollen filter, and I know about every defect it has and it’s funny how it came back with no advisories on the MoT despite the last health check (done before the MoT) showing some items that need changing. They don’t. I’ll probably go for that and have the air filter and fuel filter done and will work out cheaper than a major service, but be exactly the same lol

• Like 1

Wheels off sometime and & Servicing and Maintenance (Preventive Servicing) of the likes of brakes are nice.

(extra cost though with VW Group MDS.)

Full Main Dealer Servicing to Manufacturers Guidelines or Schedules would be nice,

& not just 'Oil / Filter' and look see servicing that Main Dealers call Services.

Instead of trying Up-selling on Fuel System Flushes, & Oil Flushes on 1 or 2 year old cars, & A/C Services and Advisories on things not even 20% worn let alone 80% it would be better 

if the Service Desk Staff could say, Your DSG Oil change is due, (@40,000 miles) but only for those that have Oil changes, or the Haldex (@3 years / 30,000 miles)

needs it and know if there is a filter, 

and know if the MOT is due then so is the Brake Fluid Change.

Handy if they tell owners a Cam Belt is due replacing that they know there is one and not a Timing Chain.

As it is Skoda tells owners there are Belt Checks and tension adjustment, again something 'Lost in translation'. 

Edited by Offski

36 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s kind of a grey area as described above. I don’t bother getting the major service done as it’s all checks apart from the fuel filter and I’ll either have TPS supply one for me to fit or leave it in the car for the dealer to fit and I’m charged £15 on top of the minor service cost. Air filter is also missing from the minor service but I asked nicely last time and the dealer chucked one on for free. At the moment they are doing a basic oil change for £99 which I’m tempted by as the car doesn’t need a wash by them, doesn’t need a test drive (their test drive is down from the VW building where the workshop is to the Skoda building anyway), doesn’t need software updates, doesn’t need a pollen filter, and I know about every defect it has and it’s funny how it came back with no advisories on the MoT despite the last health check (done before the MoT) showing some items that need changing. They don’t. I’ll probably go for that and have the air filter and fuel filter done and will work out cheaper than a major service, but be exactly the same lol

Mine got the £99 oil service by Vantage Morecambe last month and it was spot on. They offered to wash and vac (which I declined) even though it wasn't listed on the website, and they also did the free "health check" where you get the video sent to you. No made up additional work as being "required" just the £99 and job done. Fantastic.

All the filters are dead easy and cheap to do. The only one I won't do myself is spark plugs so I'll just ask for that as an extra cost item. Should still workout cheaper than the major service all in.

• Like 1

Skoda now advertise the interim at £159 and major still £279.

Do they charge extra if the car needs say, a pollen filter, or air filter ? 

The description is unclear as it lists all the things that are part of the service, implying they are included in the price, but with little stars on some things which will only be replaced if required.

56 minutes ago, classic said:

Skoda now advertise the interim at £159 and major still £279.

Do they charge extra if the car needs say, a pollen filter, or air filter ? 

The description is unclear as it lists all the things that are part of the service, implying they are included in the price, but with little stars on some things which will only be replaced if required.

Included in the price but price not reduced generally if not required. 

• Like 1

On the 3-10 year olds the £169 or £279 gets charged even if parts not replaced.

Odd that no parts, no labour checking or changing parts and no VAT on the parts not bought or supplied and it costs the same.

The Wash & Vacuum can take longer than the Service and the Roadtest and Diagnostic checks seems to take less importance with some Dealerships.

People trust that a 'Service' ensures a safe car, good inspections and really it is a Oil Service and maybe stuff done and maybe not...

Money for old rope but odd that regardless of a Citigo or a Superb the profits must be variable.

HMRC / Tax Payer maybe the loser and owners getting just an Oil & Filter and a look see, No plugs, fuel filter, air or pollen....

Edited by Offski

Mine is clearly still set to variable it was showing something like 19k miles to the next service the other week. Next week I'll have had the car a month and It's just got to 500 miles. It's PCH on 8k limit per year so is it going remind me early Nov next year? I don't think so

10 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

Mine is clearly still set to variable it was showing something like 19k miles to the next service the other week. Next week I'll have had the car a month and It's just got to 500 miles. It's PCH on 8k limit per year so is it going remind me early Nov next year? I don't think so

Why would it remind you November next year if set to variable and showing nearly 19k to next service? Fixed is maximum 1 year or approx 9300 miles, Variable is maximum 2 years or approx 18600 miles. 

6 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Why would it remind you November next year if set to variable and showing nearly 19k to next service? Fixed is maximum 1 year or approx 9300 miles, Variable is maximum 2 years or approx 18600 miles. 

Of course it wouldn't.. Lol they aren't that clever yet. My point being it's in my financial interest to do as few services on my car as possible but just enough to keep vwfs happy.

So can cars themselves be set to fixed rather then variable? That was more the point.

7 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

Of course it wouldn't.. Lol they aren't that clever yet. My point being it's in my financial interest to do as few services on my car as possible but just enough to keep vwfs happy.

So can cars themselves be set to fixed rather then variable? That was more the point.

Yes they can if you ask the dealer to swap it. Like you said though, it's in your interest to service it as little as possible.

Mine is on fixed despite me hitting the mileage in about 8/9 months, but privately owned and £99 per oil change so it's fine by me.

15 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Yes they can if you ask the dealer to swap it. Like you said though, it's in your interest to service it as little as possible.

Mine is on fixed despite me hitting the mileage in about 8/9 months, but privately owned and £99 per oil change so it's fine by me.

Thanks for confirming, just a little surprised given my car why it would be left on variable that's all. I'm only allowed 8k miles per year so it's not gonna be hitting the 9.3k you mention as far as I can tell before it reaches one year old.

I need to be averaging 667 miles a month to hit my pch limit in a year. The car is sitting at just over 500 miles and around a week till I've had it a month. It's not used for commuting.

Edited by Scotty72

Just now, Scotty72 said:

Thanks for confirming, just a little surprised given my car why it would be left on variable that's all. I'm only allowed 8k miles per year so it's not gonna be hitting the 9.3k you mention as far as I can tell before it reaches one year old.

I need to be averaging 667 miles a month to got my pch limit in a year. The car is sitting at just over 500 miles and around a week till I've had it a month. It's not used for commuting.

My understanding is that all cars leave the factory set for variable and it's switched at the owners request by dealer if preferred or deemed better (for the owner, or dealer?!)

Whilst fixed annual services would probably be better for the car, there's no requirement to remain under the manufacturer guidelines. If I was in your shoes with a 2 year rental and I could get away with 1 service, I'd be doing the same and questioning it if it was set to fixed.

My plan

5 minutes ago, ahenners said:

My understanding is that all cars leave the factory set for variable and it's switched at the owners request by dealer if preferred or deemed better (for the owner, or dealer?!)

Whilst fixed annual services would probably be better for the car, there's no requirement to remain under the manufacturer guidelines. If I was in your shoes with a 2 year rental and I could get away with 1 service, I'd be doing the same and questioning it if it was set to fixed.

My plan is just to do one service and have it ready for its next service just after they've collected it.

My car left the factory on variable servicing and currently showing service required at 18,500 miles and it is the FL2018 model year to answer the OP's question. The service will be done January 2019 and is a dealer scheme that includes the first 2 services and M.O.T. for £10.52 per month so easy to budget for.:blush