Skoda Scala will it truly compete with Golf ,Focus &Others?

vrskeith

1 hour ago, xman said:

Looks like a facelifted Rapid!

:o

Thats coz, if you read any of the marketting blumff released so far... it IS a facelifted rapid... new name though.. so its all new..

It's certainly not in the same league as the new Focus Vignale.

When Skoda announced that the Rapid replacement was going to be a serious shift upmarket I expected it to be a mini Superb, which the Vignale is.

Sadly I can't see it being popular in the UK.

53 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Lets hope that this is better for you.

Saw that video in one of the other Scala threads. Still the same boring interior I assume?

Doesn't matter how good the car looks from the outside, if the bit you interact most with isn't to your liking....

One thing I noticed was a manual handbrake, which considering a lot of new cars are switching to electronic handbrakes this seems a step back, especially when the presentation make a big deal about the Scala’s technology.

Steps back in technology might well be the future.

Scala with a 1.5TSI and no kangerooing and a manual parking brake without issues holding a car would be welcomed by many.

No point going all 'Connectivity' with a Vision RS or the likes, lots of IT and maybe Licensed Software and part from Ericson or Bosch relying on phone or gps.

That might just be a step too far for Skoda. 

Skoda need to get the 'technology' in current models more reliable & functioning correctly and Dealerships able to calibrate stuff without charging owners a weeks wage to do so.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Yes I there have been issues with electric parking brakes but as they become more prevalent in cars, the facelifted SEAT Leon has one now, then cars without will appear dated looking to some buyers. But Skoda enthusiasts on here will of course appreciate the benefits to a good old fashioned manual hand brake.

Edited by match14

I love an e-brake and also Autohold other than in the coldest of weather so not cursed it yet this winter.

Pity so many are 'not as the engineers intended' in vehicles after a while on the roads or even within a short period of use let alone when out of Manufacturers Warranty.

Surely Skoda have all the past Motorsport Success & Heritage and part bin from the VW Group to turn out a simple car like a New Scala 

in different performance levels and with all the gear people might want and put a 5 year warranty as standard. Maybe even 7 years...

Offer heated screens, steering wheels etc and other stuff on small to medium sized cars as other manufacturers offer but without that much additional costs or heavens above, something unheard of for Skoda, as standard.

As to Warranties more than 2 or 3 years Hyundai can build cars in the Czech Republic and give that.

How long until this 'in the future model' actually features in the Skoda model range. & can be ordered and then delivered.

Edited by Offski

It might put Skoda in better stead at competing with the Focus/Astra etc but those models are so well established it's going to take a LOT to tempt people away from them. Saying that, Hyundai and Kia seemingly managed it a few years back so there's hope for Skoda yet. But why not just buy an Octavia?

I know it's said during every generation but cars really do look too similar these days. I'm also not a fan of all the creases and lines they add for seemingly little benefit. It just looks like it's already been dented! :D

On 08/12/2018 at 19:33, match14 said:

One thing I noticed was a manual handbrake, which considering a lot of new cars are switching to electronic handbrakes this seems a step back, especially when the presentation make a big deal about the Scala’s technology.

Step back toward doing something for yourself?

Yes, a very retrograde, retarded move. The future is about removing ALL human presense in vehicle control systems, having only an Alexa-integrated GO and STOP facility. You won't even need to tell it where to drive as it will read your calendar entries and auto-decide where you need to be.

Seriously, what kind of moron at Škoda decided that a human might actually enjoy controlling a vehicle manually, eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Step back toward doing something for yourself?

Yes, a very retrograde, retarded move. The future is about removing ALL human presense in vehicle control systems, having only an Alexa-integrated GO and STOP facility. You won't even need to tell it where to drive as it will read your calendar entries and auto-decide where you need to be.

Seriously, what kind of moron at Škoda decided that a human might actually enjoy controlling a vehicle manually, eh?

An electronic parking brake still requires a human to operate the switch.

I only meant it was a step back it terms of looks in the cabin as the electronic park brake looks more modern and frees up space. Sure though a manual handbrake is more preferable to enthusiasts, just not everyone who buys a car is an enthusiast.

• Confused 1

Not all e-brakes need a human to operate them. I have not touched mine for over a year / 15,000 miles to apply or release the parking brake.

Once you have once selected what setting you want, same with Autohold you need not touch it again with lots of VW Group vehicles.

Doh, sorry not cleaned it either!

DSCN4731.JPG.95b7fd6aca0007c03a5da9e4fd2234fd.JPG

DSCN4732.JPG.50f4fd7310d4312690987d76b88de0c0.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Offski said:

Once you have once selected what setting you want, same with Autohold you need not touch it again with lots of VW Group vehicles.

It worked the same on a BMW X5 I rented in the US a couple of years ago.

38 minutes ago, Offski said:

Not all e-brakes need a human to operate them. I have not touched mine for over a year / 15,000 miles to apply or release the parking brake.

Doh, sorry not cleaned it either!

DSCN4731.JPG.95b7fd6aca0007c03a5da9e4fd2234fd.JPG

DSCN4732.JPG.50f4fd7310d4312690987d76b88de0c0.JPG

Excellent 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, match14 said:

An electronic parking brake still requires a human to operate the switch.

I only meant it was a step back it terms of looks in the cabin as the electronic park brake looks more modern and frees up space. Sure though a manual handbrake is more preferable to enthusiasts, just not everyone who buys a car is an enthusiast.

The more 'modern' a cabin gets, the more hideous and like an Apple Store it becomes... Saab had the right idea with their interiors.

But the more generic and featureless they make interiors, the less people will care about the car they drive, the less they will care about driving, and the sooner they can remove the human element from driving entirely.

6 minutes ago, Ttaskmaster said:

The more 'modern' a cabin gets, the more hideous and like an Apple Store it becomes... Saab had the right idea with their interiors.

But the more generic and featureless they make interiors, the less people will care about the car they drive, the less they will care about driving, and the sooner they can remove the human element from driving entirely.

Too right SAAB interiors were great before GM took over.

Edited by match14
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Offski said:

The great thing with old vehicles or older cars are keep the ones you have or go and buy the best example of the one you liked and keep it.

Not exactly rocket science.

Of course, how silly of me. Why didn't I think of that?

I'm sure such a simple solution will present itself when ICEs are finally banned, or fuel prices them out of the market....

• Haha 1