High Beam Assistance doesn't work, got error code

milan_ns

Sensor that is still attached to the windscreen is, as far as I know, daylight sensor (for auto low beam; i.e. for when you set headlights to 'auto'). If auto low beam works, no need to replace it.

High Beam Assist sensor on the other hand is part of the mirror assembly (bit that you have removed and are holding on your hand in the photo). So if you have problems with HBA system, this is the part you need to replace.

BTW HBA sensor is that camera looking part on the front of the mirror.

Edited by milan_ns

I have managed to separate the plastic now..mine should be at the bottom part where it needs squeezing..not on the top part on the video..thanks for prompt reply..i have ordered the mirror..once it comes i hope i will be able to replace it and hope problem will be fixed..my wiper works fine..its just hba. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

15498779771578647276846816947305.jpg

No prob.

When reinstalling the mirror, it's easier to first snap the mirror back into place, then connect the cable, then replace the plastic cable cover (top plastic part that you have just removed, in the photo).

Also, your new mirror will likely arrive without plastic covers (those are in fact sold under different part numbers), so you'll have to remove the entire plastic cover (both plastic parts) from your old mirror and place it on the new mirror.

Edited by milan_ns

I could win a battle rather than putting that plactic back in place easily..finally i had it done by breaking few clips and some wear and tear on the fabric. You recon i may need to take other plactic cover off too..i tried to take it off,but couldn't figure out. I hope that mirror will come with the cover..

Ouch! Ah well, you live and learn :)

My replacement mirror came from VW Golf mk7. It came with plastic bits attached, but I couldn't use them as those were different from mine (Golf's plastic cover are different from Octavia's), so I had to replace the plastic cover from my old mirror.

Worst case scenario could simply buy those plastic bits from Skoda dealer. Those should cost a few pounds at most.

Edited by milan_ns

Wow..it works good..just had almost all the clips broken..i have ordered this part though..nicely fitted now..thanks a ton milan_ns..

Edited by automass

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:45, Biblobong said:

I have managed to code HBA with VCDS but how do I adjust the speed it turns on and off. I live on a dark windy road and need them to come on earlier that the speed they do it is for a Skoda Superb Mkiii. I can't find any information on how to do this. Please can anyone help me?

Hi,

have you managed to find the way of doing it? it seems I also need it.

56 minutes ago, automass said:

have you managed to find the way of doing it? it seems I also need it.

If it's possible, it'll be a pretty obvious adaption channel in either 20 or A5 depending on the camera fitted.

Just to point out, not all modules will allow this change so if there isn't an obvious adaption channel, it's probably not possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

guys,

can you believe it. My hba got faulty again. this is third time it got faulty since i bought this car. i think its a chronic problem for my car. have anyone suffered like me!!!!

On 24/02/2019 at 00:40, automass said:

guys,

can you believe it. My hba got faulty again. this is third time it got faulty since i bought this car. i think its a chronic problem for my car. have anyone suffered like me!!!!

Maybe you should buy a new part rather than a used one. Therein lies the problem I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rustynuts said:

Maybe you should buy a new part rather than a used one. Therein lies the problem I guess.

I think it is just bad luck.

I had to go through two used mirrors until I found a functional one.

With used one costing £70 and the new one costing £530, solution is really obvious :-)

• 1 year later...

Appears that R12 had a major combustion fault..

I can still solder from days gone by, but surface mount components, weren't in any ofmy Maplin Electronics projects in 1990, more like full size resistors and capacitors on copper boards with holes drilled in it!

Love to what you did to diy fix it. 

Edited by paulski
  • Like 1

What i did is disassamble the mirror, then you need to clean everythink that is contaminated with burn residue. 

After that all you need is to solder a 0 ohm smd resistor on a place where burned resistor is (you can use only a wire to bridge, but my opinion is that thats not safe). U need to remove the burned resistor before solder a new one 😁. After that assamble the mirror and voila HBA is working again. 

Btw sorry for my english 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2020 at 21:52, golfabimu said:

I found another way 😁. Very cheap fix. 

received_252322916215859.jpeg

received_383205725992988.jpeg

received_884707322014999.jpeg

can you describe what to do after removing the mirror from the car to get to this module ?
how to separate the mirror housing so as not to damage anything ?

• 3 weeks later...

Octavia 2.0 tdi dsg 2014

After 5 years the Light Assist has failed. Dealer has replaced the sensor 5 times, all 5 failed after a few 2-4 months. Skoda technical have suggested replacing the wiring loom (at my expense).

Has anyone out there that has had similar fault managed to fix it ?

• 1 year later...
On 8/23/2020 at 2:21 PM, GrantRWilson said:

Octavia 2.0 tdi dsg 2014

After 5 years the Light Assist has failed. Dealer has replaced the sensor 5 times, all 5 failed after a few 2-4 months. Skoda technical have suggested replacing the wiring loom (at my expense).

Has anyone out there that has had similar fault managed to fix it ?

which, what wiring harness? (wiring loom) - the one that goes from the mirror to the module?

11 hours ago, TheClient said:

Do you have an idea how to disassemble (disassemble) the photochromic mirror so as not to damage it?

I had the mirror out today. The casing is very tight. My pry tools wouldn't get under it. Need something thinner. Maybe a pry tool for mobile phone.... the casing did seem to flex away so guessing its not plastic welded shut.  

• 1 year later...
On 27/01/2022 at 21:19, Lukas345 said:

which, what wiring harness? (wiring loom) - the one that goes from the mirror to the module?

I found this thread this evening and it has given me some hope! Starting in 2019, I had the same issue as Grant, paid for a whole new mirror unit only for a second failure. Further testing done and gave up at the point where Skoda technical said same for me, replace (or at least take out and troubleshoot) the wiring loom all at my own expense. Garage said a "complete wiring continuity testing between the mirror control unit and the central electrics control unit."

Am I heading for another burst bubble here, I'd really love for the high beam assist to work more than the one time it did and then failed 😞

The garage gave great detail at the time if it's any use but I am eternally grateful to any knowledge from here that can be shared. Thanks!