New year- who’s got what planned for their Octavia?

7 minutes ago, xdq said:

Get the app on your phone already. You get 1 free credit/day when you open the app and can receive an extra credit for each video ad you watch (up to 5/day). The credits are then used for "apps" which are a quick means of making changes such as  enabling cornering fogs.

Good shout, I'm an iOS user but did borrow an old Moto G from a family member a while back with this in mind, I should boot it up and chuck the app on. I think I'll start off this weekend anyway trying the head unit sound improvement tweak from Sasha's thread. 

7 minutes ago, xdq said:

Change rear indicators and reversing bulbs to LED

Change front fogs to LED

Rear sill guards + 3m clear tape as my son now wants to climb in by himself

Actually I should get round to these too this year, I think even on the FL the front fogs are incandescents but not 100%, for sure some of the rear bulbs are.

7 minutes ago, xdq said:

Hardwire the dashcam

And after doing this the other day another job for the list is to put the :swear: glovebox damper back on. I was in a bit of a rush doing the hardwire and gave up quite quickly on that. 

Edited by uchuff
  • Like 1

Hardwire dashcam and fit sill protectors, both have been waiting to be done for too long.

Just ordered led puddle lights, led boot lights, and led reversing lights too.

A new gear knob would be nice, the leather on it is crap and is peeling. Rear view camera would be nice too. I keep looking at all the mods @SashaGrace has done and can see a slippery slope, maybe that's just from our Welsh rain though!

• Like 1

It’s not as bad as it’s made out until it’s written down :rofl: then it’s pretty bad haha. Like I say though it’s the best way for me to do it, I can’t justify PCP payments on a new/newer car because I drive so many miles, I never leave cars standard even when I try so I couldn’t have a lease, the best way is to finance a used car outright and save some ££ each month to spend on goodies that way I get a cheaper car but one that’s unique and I enjoy doing all the mods. It’s at least half of the fun :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I enjoy doing all the mods. It’s at least half of the fun :) 

Totally agree! I drive a long way too, and keep my cars until they are old, so might as well enjoy ownership! My last car did over 230,000 miles. The changes you have made really make the car yours, I see the dynamic indicators, rear view camera, radio change and think, ooooo that would be nice :-) and things like lighting make sense reversing in dark country lanes and unlit drive ways. It's a cool hobby, we admire you for doing these things.

• Like 1

Thanks :) I think I’ve pushed it a bit with the virtual cockpit because of the faff changing the radio again, but it’ll all be sorted soon. The rest were bargain mods, the reverse cam is honestly the best £16 I’ve ever spent so it’s made up for there I suppose :biggrin:

• Like 1

I've recently gone straight to a Revo stage 3 from stock on a mk2 VRS so now its time to improve handling and braking

I've had the whiteline 24mm RARB with endlinks through the post so will be fitting that over the next couple of weeks.

Future purchase this year will be a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers

And if things go well with the job

Brembo 345mm BBK with upgraded hoses

neuspeed RSe102 19x8.5j

22 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s not as bad as it’s made out until it’s written down :rofl: then it’s pretty bad haha. Like I say though it’s the best way for me to do it, I can’t justify PCP payments on a new/newer car because I drive so many miles, I never leave cars standard even when I try so I couldn’t have a lease, the best way is to finance a used car outright and save some ££ each month to spend on goodies that way I get a cheaper car but one that’s unique and I enjoy doing all the mods. It’s at least half of the fun :) 

I agree, it's definitely part of the fun and it makes it harder to part with the car when you've done mods to make it "yours". I'm the same, I spend hours on auto trader but cannot justify swapping for something newer and more expensive.

Out of curiosity, where do you find the inspiration for some of these mods? I haven't seen some of them done on Briskoda before until you had done them, so curious to know where you are seeing these and getting the info from. Always looking for new car goodies and ideas to relieve me of my hard earned! :)

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

There is a Mk3 Octavia page on Facebook that started over the summer which is a good one, plenty of google searches, kit that I’ve had from previous cars, stuff that’s been done on other MQB platform cars etc etc. Sometimes I just want to see if I can do something so I go off and see if it can be done. Sometimes it can’t be, but other times it can :) We also found out the other day that the FL Amundsen display definitely works with the MIB1 Columbus so that’s one to add to the list haha

• Like 1

A part of me wants to lower the suspension a little bit, make it a bit firmer, but another part of me needs to stop spending money. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

There is a Mk3 Octavia page on Facebook that started over the summer which is a good one, plenty of google searches, kit that I’ve had from previous cars, stuff that’s been done on other MQB platform cars etc etc. Sometimes I just want to see if I can do something so I go off and see if it can be done. Sometimes it can’t be, but other times it can :) We also found out the other day that the FL Amundsen display definitely works with the MIB1 Columbus so that’s one to add to the list haha

Interesting.... What's the benefit of the FL Amundsen screen Vs the MIB1 Columbus screen?

• Like 1

Depends on your wants and preferences. It adds no more features or screen real estate and it removes the functioning TRAFFIC button and replaces it with a non functioning APP button but it looks really good and gives the old Columbus a facelift :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Depends on your wants and preferences. It adds no more features or screen real estate and it removes the functioning TRAFFIC button and replaces it with a non functioning APP button but it looks really good and gives the old Columbus a facelift :)

Thanks, I agree it does look better (apart from the mismatched backlighting to the rest of the car!). Might give that one a miss if it's purely cosmetic, unless a screen comes up crazy cheap. I also find the traffic button quite useful sometimes too.

• Like 1

Just now, SashaGrace said:

The mismatched backlighting is a nice OEM touch these days!! Hateful, but I’m joining the crew with my new steering wheel and radio screen. Gunna have to learn to solder tiny LED’s and get the rest of it changed to white now!

Wow that's some dedication! Reminds me of the days of soldering LEDs to change the backlighting of instrument clusters - mostly people doing blue ones to mimic the cool blue backlighting of VWs from the MK4 Golf era.

I can cheat with the climate panel as one from a Superb fits, I can also get Superb window switches for the drivers door. I can practice the rest on the spare interior light circuits I have and then all I’ll have to do is those again in the car and the lower switch bank, headlight switch and the rest of the window switches. Or farm it out when I realise I don’t have a steady enough hand :D

3 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I can cheat with the climate panel as one from a Superb fits, I can also get Superb window switches for the drivers door. I can practice the rest on the spare interior light circuits I have and then all I’ll have to do is those again in the car and the lower switch bank, headlight switch and the rest of the window switches. Or farm it out when I realise I don’t have a steady enough hand :D

Headlight switch from the Golf has white backlighting if the Superb one doesn't :)

Service - been putting off for a while now :sweat:

White line RARB and Anti-lift kit

concept 2 front and rear splitter/diffuser

Black gloss roof (painted or wrapped not yet decided)

Forge Short shift

need to get around to changing my disc and pads soon

another set of tyres PS4's again soon as getting close(ish) to the limit

full detail - when the weather picks up abit

• Like 1

Stop it - trying desperately to keep this one standard - well apart from the rear vRS sills and colour coded badges when I get round to fitting them.

Keep getting tempted with an exhaust swap - it is a shame that the 230 stock system doesn't sound a bit more sporty - the one on my Mrs's 2017 Mini Clubman Cooper S from the factory has a nice sound.

Mind I keep craving more power as well :devil:

• Like 1

My vrs boring list is....

Spare wheel

And to try and get some more umpth, into my bolero without changing the speakers or the unit....so if anybody has any ideas how i can do this....

Then I'm all ears lol

42 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Check my thread out, around page 42-43 there’s instructions to code Skoda Surrond and Virtual Subwoofer. If you have a MIB1 the options won’t show in the menu, but the sound will be richer. If you don’t like it, turn it off again :)

Thanks !

Will have a look !

Ceramic polish is also on my list, but i don't know how much of a hole that will burn into my wallet ! 

• Like 1

Just had the car Valeted so that's one thing off the list already, water stain on back seats is now gone :)

Dynamic mirror indicators and LED puddle lights are making their way to me in the post.

Oil Change and Inspection message showing up now so organising a service for later this week. Taking it back to the Skoda garage where I bought it as they changed the water Pump and Timing belt due to valve sticking issue but seem to have broken off a piece of the timing belt cover while doing it.

First NCT due this month so must book that after the service is done.

Keep looking at the reversing cameras mod. Might do it once I figure out how easy/hard it'd be to route the wires.