Police Yeti in Action

Brijo

Anyone recognise the (assumed) rally venue?

[Much later:  I should have advised that the liveried Yeti appears at ~0:38]

Edited by Brijo
Explanation, in case the link fails.

Judging by the way the Morgan was driven perhaps a Royal was behind the wheel. Why should you avoid an idiot who should have stopped in the central reservation until it was clear and safe to join the carriageway. Too busy trying to impress his fellow Morgan enthusiasts across the road. Numpty.:giggle:

2 hours ago, Beena said:

I like how their reaction was to jam on the horn rather than take evasive action. 

Yes, whilst the closing speed was high no attempt was made to try and overtake even though there is room!

Perhaps the driver was distracted by the group of spectators?

Yeah thats right, blame the innocent party, driving too fast, did not brake, did not swerve etc etc.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah thats right, blame the innocent party, driving too fast, did not brake, did not swerve etc etc.

The Morgan was clearly in the wrong but the person in the car behind maybe should have prioritised taking evasive action by turning right a bit and overtaking rather than just using the horn. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brijo said:

:thinking:   Predictable, I suppose.  The subject of the topic, the liveried Yeti, hasn't been mentioned in ten replies. 

You didn't mention it within your post either, to be fair!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, VAGCF said:

no attempt was made to try and overtake even though there is room!

Er, that road is marked as being a single running lane each way, so even if the Pug driver had time to react by steering, an attempted overtake might not occur.

1 hour ago, Brijo said:

:thinking:   Predictable, I suppose.  The subject of the topic, the liveried Yeti, hasn't been mentioned in ten replies. 

As I recall, the Yeti wasn't mentioned a couple of years ago when the clip was originally posted. ;)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, KenONeill said:

It may be the junction of the A82 (T) and A817 "Glen Fruin Road", just North of Arden on Loch Lomondside (My Mum lives a few miles from there).

Checking that location on Google Streetview I would suggest that  it isn't that junction - unless the junction has been extensively remodelled (for the worse) since 2009 when the Streetview car was there.  Superficially it looks similar but closer inspection reveals quite a view detail differences.  The one that sticks out to me is the large utility pole in the corner of the field which doesn't seem to be there in the video - in fact there's no sign of the electricity cables at all.  Plus the sign to Garelochhead on the central reservation isn't there in the video.

3 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

At 60mph you're going to travel about 70 yards in 2 seconds. Allow 1 second reaction time for an average driver say, and you have one second to decide where the Morgan is going to go assuming he's suddenly seen you as he pulls out, then take action to avoid what you're guessing he's going to do and hope you guessed right. Or you could slam the brakes on and hold your hand on the horn to tell him he's about to be stuffed up the arse. Or you could just take to the trees safe in the knowledge that he's not going to visit the hedgerow in an attempt to get out of your way. And that's presuming he's doing 60. Given it's a dual carriageway he's more likely to be (quite legally) doing 70mph. You can adjust the speed and timings to 70mph if you choose and have less time to react.

The description of the incident on YouTube says that the limit on that road is 50mph - which doesn't, of course, mean that the Pug was sticking to it.  (That would also tend to rule out the location suggested by KenONeill, since there don't seem to be any 50mph repeaters visible in the vicinity on Streetview - though obviously some could have been added since 2009.)

Edit: Rustynuts appears to have it right.

Edited by ejstubbs

Looking at the road signs on Google Maps reveals it to be National Speed Limit at the time Google were there. Clearly some time before (or after) the crash as the road markings are now different.

Edited by Rustynuts

Oh, one other reason the Pug driver didn't pull out and try to overtake the Morgan? The fact that there's an island and a road sign just in the middle of the road at that point. The only options are hit him or hit the trees.  ;)

I still think the Morgan was to blame though.

• Like 1

It looks like what used to be a merge lane (in the Streeview view that you posted) had been changed by the date on the incident to a hatched "ghost" island with, as you point out, a bollard and a rather solid-looking keep left sign smack in the middle of it.  Quite clearly visible in the current satellite view on Google.

No question in my mind that the Morgan driver violated the Pug's right of way.  It's not clear in the video whether there is actually a broken white line protecting the main road; the satellite view suggests that there is one but it's badly worn.  Still no excuse for pulling out in front of someone approaching on the main road, though.  (There certainly isn't any kind of give way line on the main road itself.)

5 hours ago, Wino said:

You didn't mention it within your post either, to be fair!

There's a rather noticable mention in the title, though

3 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

As I recall, the Yeti wasn't mentioned a couple of years ago when the clip was originally posted. ;)

Must have missed that post.  (Link, please, just out of interest, to see the original discussion?)  Goes to show how predictable, doesn't it?!   

• Like 1