Sat nav update

DRGW

I had my Yeti booked in to have the sat nav updated as this didn’t get done before I collected it recently. Due to a mix-up/computer glitch, they weren’t able to do this. I was advised of a cost of £200+ to have it updated when I was previously advised there would be no charge which they will now honour.

My radio is an Amundsen+ which I was advised needs updating via a CD rather than by the internet which I was previously advised by the sales guy.

Looking online, there are CD’s available to do this and at a fraction of the cost. Is this something easy to do or would it be best for the dealer to do it?

i don’t really want to have to pay £200+ for future updates.

The Amundsen + unit is an SD card update. Cost is in the region of £120 or so from a main dealer for a single use card which can't be used again. You cannot use a cd. This was the means of maps use in the older Amundsen unit so not relevant to the Amundsen + unit (the + bit makes a big difference).

There are ebay sellers doing cloned cards for £30 or so, but given the issues with maps updates making the unit reboot every few minutes I'd let the dealers do it this time, then if it goes wrong they can sort it out for you. There's a few different maps versions, V9 is the latest stable version, and V10 - V11 are available but will probably make the unit unstable and will then need reverting to a working version (V9). You might warn them of this before they go ahead, or you might just like to sit back and watch.

• Like 1

Or abandon it and use google maps, or even better a TomTom. Much cheaper and probably better.

I only use my later system as it was standard to the car and gets free updates, but even this is not very good. Last version kept telling me to leave a dual c'way and go around the roundabout at every junction. latest update doesn't do this, but on 60mph roads, now shows two speeds 60 and 50!!!

Tomtom was much better and accurately predicted delays and offered good alternate routes when there was a problem, and it neatly  folded up in the top dash box when not in use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed the built-in SatNav is not the best. Some of it's proposed routes have been eccentric and road junctions still missing after latest update. Now use Waze via Smartlink which is much better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

The Amundsen + unit is an SD card update. Cost is in the region of £120 or so from a main dealer for a single use card which can't be used again. You cannot use a cd. This was the means of maps use in the older Amundsen unit so not relevant to the Amundsen + unit (the + bit makes a big difference).

There are ebay sellers doing cloned cards for £30 or so, but given the issues with maps updates making the unit reboot every few minutes I'd let the dealers do it this time, then if it goes wrong they can sort it out for you. There's a few different maps versions, V9 is the latest stable version, and V10 - V11 are available but will probably make the unit unstable and will then need reverting to a working version (V9). You might warn them of this before they go ahead, or you might just like to sit back and watch.

There is a card slot on the left hand side of my radio but the dealer was adamant it is a CD update. I’ll wait until they get it sorted and let them do it. Although I also have a Garmin sat nav, it would be nice to have the one in my car up to date.

22 minutes ago, DRGW said:

There is a card slot on the left hand side of my radio but the dealer was adamant it is a CD update. I’ll wait until they get it sorted and let them do it. Although I also have a Garmin sat nav, it would be nice to have the one in my car up to date.

If the unit doesn't have a CD slot how can they update it with a CD??

I have an amundsen+ (RNS.315) it has a CD drive and an SD card slot, map updates are only available via an SD card and has to be downloaded on to the hard-drive!  Then remove the card and put your personal one back in.

My cheapo V9 works fine.

My 2017 17 reg Yeti has an Amundsen. I updated the maps very recently free on the Skoda website, via the SD card. The satnav works better now than before the website update. I used a laptop computer. I had one failed attempt before I got my head round it, but in the end it was quite easy. Have a google, if necessary get someone, such as a computer savvy young person, to help you. Your dealer isn't knowledgeable. Other threads on here can help you. Best of luck! 

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

@PeterKn - there are at least four different satnav headunits that have been fitted to the Yeti over the years and have different update procedures. For extra fun, three have basically the same name!

Amundsen (RNS-310) - early maps were on CD but later versions are on SD only. The CD/SD needs to be left in the headunit to work.

Amundsen+ (RNS-315) - maps are provided on a 'one-shot' SD and are copied to the headunit during the install. The SD is locked/wiped during the install.

Columbus (RNS-510) - maps are provided on DVD and copied to the headunit during the install. The DVD can be used in other units.

Amundsen (MIB PQ STD2) - maps are free from Skoda and copied to an SD card which is left in the headunit.

Dealers charge £150-£200 for map updates for the three RNS units. Only the later Yetis (2015 onwards?) get the MIB system which gets free updates :)

5 hours ago, PeterKn said:

My 2017 17 reg Yeti has an Amundsen. I updated the maps very recently free on the Skoda website, via the SD card. The satnav works better now than before the website update. I used a laptop computer. I had one failed attempt before I got my head round it, but in the end it was quite easy. Have a google, if necessary get someone, such as a computer savvy young person, to help you. Your dealer isn't knowledgeable. Other threads on here can help you. Best of luck! 

Are you getting the multiple speed limits on the screen on 60 mph roads where it puts a 50mph over the top if you have the directions box open, or one above the other if you close that view box?

I had not come across it before until we went to Norfolk last weekend, when it was showing most of the time.

1 minute ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Are you getting the multiple speed limits on the screen on 60 mph roads where it puts a 50mph over the top if you have the directions box open, or one above the other if you close that view box?

I had not come across it before until we went to Norfolk last weekend, when it was showing most of the time.

I have never seen the multi speed limits at all, only ever the single. I think it was January I updated. I'll keep an eye just in case. 

16 minutes ago, DRGW said:

From the photo, does this mean I’m on version 5? What new features etc will be on the latest version?

That's your maps version, newer versions should be updated with new roads etc.

6 hours ago, PeterKn said:

When I first saw the Yeti I asked the dealer if they would make sure that the sat nav is updated. I asked twice more including on the day I collected it. I was then told that as their internet was playing up they were unable to update it and given the link you mentioned. When I put in my VIN it refers me back to the dealer. I had it booked in yesterday but due to another glitch on their part, this wasn’t done.

18 minutes ago, DRGW said:

When I first saw the Yeti I asked the dealer if they would make sure that the sat nav is updated. I asked twice more including on the day I collected it. I was then told that as their internet was playing up they were unable to update it and given the link you mentioned. When I put in my VIN it refers me back to the dealer. I had it booked in yesterday but due to another glitch on their part, this wasn’t done.

I think that is standard BS from most dealers. Better off doing it your self if you can.

20 minutes ago, DRGW said:

I can update it for you, but you have to come to me and have coffee while I do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1