CarPlay stutter... Eugh!

Morning ladies and gents!

CarPlay is great... however, I'm getting random stuttering during songs when playing Spotify via CarPlay. I've tried downloading the songs so there's little 'buffer' and it carries on. It's a micro-second stutter intermittently. I've only tried with a new Syncwire cable (decent quality) and will try with a proprietary cable but it's a fairly widely reported issue from what I've seen.

iPhone is up-to-date for what it's worth.

Anyone experienced the same and have any fixes? :wondering:

Edit: I don't get any stuttering whatsoever through Bluetooth. 

Edited by Benz3ne

I've had stuttering issues with Android Auto. Seems to be worst when on maps, as if there's not enough bandwidth between the phone and the car. 

Update: I've tried it with an Apple branded cable. Same issue. Interestingly, the OH's '17 Polo and her iPhone 8 don't have any issues with stuttering when using Carplay.

I've tried it with downloaded as well as streamed songs, as well as songs of lower quality and same issues. 

Further updates: The OH's car doesn't stutter at all regardless of cable or phone (mine or hers). Both phones stutter through my car, regardless of cable. I can see no obvious discrepancy in the CarPlay software version, and there's no difference in our iOS versions. Tried with both streaming and downloading, podcasts etc. and everything stutters regardless. There is no stuttering through Bluetooth.

In short, I've resorted to emailing the sales chap I dealt with, so hopefully he'll come back with an explanation or offer to try and get it sorted. Either way, considering I've clocked up 800 miles in the two weeks I've owned it, I'd like to have the option to listen to my music, with the interface, stutter free on the new car I've just bought. I don't think that's really too much to ask? My gut feeling tells me there's either a dry solder joint or marginally loose connection, or faulty USB jack which is causing the issue seeing as there's no issues with any other operation.

My last test would be to put some music on a USB stick and try that out, but I don't know when will be the earliest opportunity for me to give that a go. If that stutters, I know it's the USB input and not CarPlay, per se.

On 12/03/2019 at 09:00, Benz3ne said:

Morning ladies and gents!

CarPlay is great... however, I'm getting random stuttering during songs when playing Spotify via CarPlay. I've tried downloading the songs so there's little 'buffer' and it carries on. It's a micro-second stutter intermittently. I've only tried with a new Syncwire cable (decent quality) and will try with a proprietary cable but it's a fairly widely reported issue from what I've seen.

iPhone is up-to-date for what it's worth.

Anyone experienced the same and have any fixes? :wondering:

Edit: I don't get any stuttering whatsoever through Bluetooth. 

Weirdly, I found stuttering to be particularly bad in two Fabia SE courtesy cars I’ve had recently. Doesn’t seem to be a problem on my older 2016 Monte. It could be an issue with Spotify (I am noticing that Spotify intermittently doesn’t start up in CarPlay, meaning I have to stop and unlock my phone to ‘wake it up’). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Octy09 said:

Weirdly, I found stuttering to be particularly bad in two Fabia SE courtesy cars I’ve had recently. Doesn’t seem to be a problem on my older 2016 Monte. It could be an issue with Spotify (I am noticing that Spotify intermittently doesn’t start up in CarPlay, meaning I have to stop and unlock my phone to ‘wake it up’). 

How strange. My reading has pointed towards there being some issue after one of the iOS updates (iOS 11.3 for those who care), with respect to stuttering. I'd be surprised if it hadn't been fixed by now, plus this doesn't particularly tally with the OH's car carrying on without issue.

I'm afraid it's not an issue with Spotify - I've tried Spotify, Apple Music, Podcasts and I get the occasional 'blip' in phone calls, though this is less prominent. Spotify itself works fine, and there are no issues with stammering/stuttering over Bluetooth which leads me towards it being a CarPlay/USB issue.

Thanks for the direction, all the same.

Edited by Benz3ne
Lack of manners on my part.
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 11:17, Iceax said:

Ive noticed this a few times, let me know if you hear anything back

Thanks

Andy

Booked in for the 9th as it's the earliest they can get me a courtesy car. They want it for the day so hopefully the issue should be immediately obvious to them and they can resolve it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I've mentioned in another thread, they've heard the issue first-hand, confirmed that there is an issue (was twice in a 1 minute period when I showed them) and have said that it'll be raised as a technical enquiry with Skoda. Skoda should report back within 72 hours, apparently oftentimes it's sooner than that. I still reckon it's a USB connection issue, so hopefully I'll sort out a USB stick with some music on to trial soon. Car is back in my possession for now.

• 1 month later...

Phoned up the dealer yesterday to 'gently' mention that I'd not been updated. Was told I'd receive a return call 'shortly', but no sign of any call. Will phone again today as it's as prevalent as ever.

Edited by Benz3ne

Technical enquiry response as below... would be interesting to see whether everyone who has mentioned this has the '8740' version of radio. Can be found under 'setup (button)' > 'system information' at the bottom of the page on the radio screen.

We are aware of some cases where audio tracks "skip" occasionally when IPhone is used as a source and is connected via USB on MIB entry with software 8740 so ensure comparison vehicles are the same for the comparison to be valid. The cause is under investigation so currently there is no update available. It should be confirmed this is the customer complaint, in cases we are aware of only Apple devices are affected and only when connected via USB, function is normal when using Bluetooth or on Android devices regardless of connection type.

Question is, do I keep my old, slightly dying, iPhone 7 for now or replace it for a Samsung S9+... Hmm...

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, vc-10 said:

Get a OnePlus. Like Samsung, only cheaper 🤣

I'm huge into my tech - if I was to get a new phone now it'd probably be the S9 (2nd hand prices are ludicrous) or the Pixel 2. Price vs performance they're up there with the best of them, OnePlus included. The 5T is not to be sniffed at though! 😛

I love my 5T. I'm unsure about the Pixels though- a friend has a Pixel 3XL and he's already having trouble with it slowing down, he thinks due to the 4GB RAM (my 5T has 8GB). The 5T? Still as slick as the day I bought it, which is super impressive for a phone that's basically 2 years old at this point (the 5 having the same processor chipset as the 5T, differing only in the screen and camera setup). Camera aside, the 5T still holds its own against newer flagship devices IMO. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bit of a random one, but it seems that the latest update to my iPhone has resolved the CarPlay stutter issue...

...either that or I'm now completely oblivious to it - though I don't think that's the case!

Just had a VW Polo Dec 2018 as a hire car.

With Android Auto and Maps working the radio and/or music from the phone would go quiet every 30 seconds for about 2 seconds.

It would not happen every time and once I turned the car and phone off and back on which stopped it happening. 🤔

Thanks AG Falco

On 22/08/2019 at 14:40, Benz3ne said:

Bit of a random one, but it seems that the latest update to my iPhone has resolved the CarPlay stutter issue...

...either that or I'm now completely oblivious to it - though I don't think that's the case!

Is that 12.4?

• 4 weeks later...