CarPlay stutter... Eugh!

Just now, Rizzoed said:

No update available (unsurprisingly). 

I'm not sure about others, but i've had this issue for over 7 months which is pretty much as long as i've owned this car, i'm getting pretty tired of not being able to use this functionality properly. There must be something we can do, wether it'd be to constantly annoy Škoda or Apple about it.

I'll have had the car a year as of tomorrow, and no resolution. Last time I mentioned it, they said they'd need to bring the car in to check for updates, to which I said that wasn't necessary as they can check whether there's an update from the last time I logged the complaint.

I spent a fair amount of time in the car (will hit around 16,500 miles the end of the week) and not being able to listen to music through CarPlay without stuttering is not something I envisaged from a new car. I've defaulted to Bluetooth only as I'm not using maps, but when that time comes I'll be reluctant to do so through CarPlay. I could have gone for an older vehicle and had this working perfectly (like my OH's 2017 Polo).

3 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

I'll have had the car a year as of tomorrow, and no resolution. Last time I mentioned it, they said they'd need to bring the car in to check for updates, to which I said that wasn't necessary as they can check whether there's an update from the last time I logged the complaint.

I spent a fair amount of time in the car (will hit around 16,500 miles the end of the week) and not being able to listen to music through CarPlay without stuttering is not something I envisaged from a new car. I've defaulted to Bluetooth only as I'm not using maps, but when that time comes I'll be reluctant to do so through CarPlay. I could have gone for an older vehicle and had this working perfectly (like my OH's 2017 Polo).

It seems to affect specific cars, not entire ranges of cars. I never got the stuttering that other people found issue with, rather i had issues with the phone getting stuck in a disconnect-reconnect loop and occasional hangs and corrupt audio. Updating the head unit software fixed all that. Having a faster iPhone (went from a 6 to a 6S then 7+) helped too.

7 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

I could have gone for an older vehicle and had this working perfectly

My mom owns a 2018 Opel Karl and that hasn't given us any issue, only mine, using any iPhone or cable.

3 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Updating the head unit software fixed all that. Having a faster iPhone (went from a 6 to a 6S then 7+) helped too.

I think that's exactly what we're waiting for, a software update but who knows when that will be. I have a XS Max so it isn't exactly slow or old. My old 7+ also has this issue.

I will be contacting my dealership again as this isn't an acceptable situation, i'd ask for a head unit replacement but i don't even think that would solve it. 

On 03/03/2020 at 20:32, Rizzoed said:

My mom owns a 2018 Opel Karl and that hasn't given us any issue, only mine, using any iPhone or cable.

I think that's exactly what we're waiting for, a software update but who knows when that will be. I have a XS Max so it isn't exactly slow or old. My old 7+ also has this issue.

I will be contacting my dealership again as this isn't an acceptable situation, i'd ask for a head unit replacement but i don't even think that would solve it. 

I know Skoda have admitted that they have an issue with Apple CarPlay that they are dealing with but if that is the case why isn't it affecting all models or all models with a specific HU?

Just out of interest here..... Do you guys that have the stutter issue have the Amundsen or the Radio Swing Plus. Our colour edition has the Swing Plus and as I've mentioned earlier doesn't have the stutter issue when using an iPhone 8 Plus and an iPhone SE both running iOS 13.3.1

If you guys are also using the Swing Plus and get the issue then to me it proves it can't be the software (Unless it is a software issue that only affects certain handsets or iOS versions) and could indeed be a HU issue.

The only other issue that could cause it is the cable being used. (I have used an Anker 30cm lightning cable).

Maybe this is something you guys could go back to Skoda with..... Pointing out that others are not having the issues at all so is not a universal fault/issue at all.

Edited by WaveyDavey

1 hour ago, WaveyDavey said:

The only other issue that could cause it is the cable being used. (I have used an Anker 30cm lightning cable).

Or i'm thinking what about the short cable run from the head unit to the back of the USB port?

I have Anker cables for my phone but use a cheap Tesco one in the car (allows me to hide my phone as the anker cables are too thick and dont bend enough for me to shut the flap/compartment thing).

Ive tried multiple different wires all have had the same result, no specific cable had more or less issues than another.

3 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Or i'm thinking what about the short cable run from the head unit to the back of the USB port?

I have Anker cables for my phone but use a cheap Tesco one in the car (allows me to hide my phone as the anker cables are too thick and dont bend enough for me to shut the flap/compartment thing).

Ive tried multiple different wires all have had the same result, no specific cable had more or less issues than another.

yes could well be the cabling from the USB socket to the HU.  

12 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

yes could well be the cabling from the USB socket to the HU.  

Too much interference can introduce jitter, which USB can handle upto a certain point but eventually it can't correct any more.

If someone is able to get hold of the cabling from the USB socket to the HU, we would see if it's something that could be improved. Ideally the power +/- and data +/- should be twisted together seperately. And the whole cable should be shielded. The shielding should be connected to ground, but if it isn't it can make interference worse as it can act like an antenna.

http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/usb-cables-shielding-matters-as-well

Image result for usb shielding

If it's shielded anything less than that, it's technically not in spec, and could give issues.

Adding a ferrite bead may or may not help (the kind that clips round the cable externally).

Car electrics are a noisy place, USB doesn't like noisy places.

Just wanted to add details of our system which as mentioned previously doesn’t seem to stutter....... 

Do these match up with others‘ systems which are having issues?

EAA9723A-3BD0-44C7-BDFF-E1A5E501CC6B.jpeg

interesting...... So if it is a software issue as Skoda are saying then it must be only affecting systems that are connecting to a certain handset or iOS version....... Or as FG says could it be the cabling between the socket and the HU that is at fault depending on what quality of cables the current batch are when they are installed in the car in the factory?

It certainly doesn't seem as simple as first suggested and may explain why it's taking them so long to try and rectify.

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

interesting...... So if it is a software issue as Skoda are saying then it must be only affecting systems that are connecting to a certain handset or iOS version....... Or as FG says could it be the cabling between the socket and the HU that is at fault depending on what quality of cables the current batch are when they are installed in the car in the factory?

It certainly doesn't seem as simple as first suggested and may explain why it's taking them so long to try and rectify.

Ive tried both my phone and the other half’s - both apple, her newer than mine, through a variety of OS updates. Similarly I’ve tried a number of USB cables including the OEM one and a variety of lengths of aftermarket ones and still stuttering. One of the IOS updates did perform better than the rest with respect to stuttering but didn’t full rectify it. 

I did initially think cabling behind the unit and suggested this as a potential issue but that was dismissed as a possibility really quite quickly by Skoda. 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 14:57, wGBC said:

I have the same details as you and I have the stutter issues 😞

Iphone 7 + Iphone XR

• 1 month later...

Somebody in Denmark got a call from Skoda, and got issued this way to try an rectify it. (And it worked):

+ Update IOS to version 13.4.1 (newest)
+ On iPhone remove car from Carplay menu.
+ Put ignition on car while holding button on stereo, wait untill Skoda logo.
+ Press "Car" and toothwheel -> Factory Settings -> all and choose reset.
+ Press "Setup" , choose factory settings -> reset.
+ Remove key .
+ Put ingnition on car while holding button on stereo, wait untill Skoda logo
+ setup carplay again

Not sure about the factory settings. Thats what its called in danish (fabriksindstillinger)

(Translated from Danish, soo....)

If that's the case that would explain why it isn't affecting all users and isn't a system wide software issue as they were saying previously as it can be rectified by what seems like clearing your connection and defaulting to factory settings before reconnecting again.

On 16/04/2020 at 12:52, fum said:

Somebody in Denmark got a call from Skoda, and got issued this way to try an rectify it. (And it worked):

+ Update IOS to version 13.4.1 (newest)
+ On iPhone remove car from Carplay menu.
+ Put ignition on car while holding button on stereo, wait untill Skoda logo.
+ Press "Car" and toothwheel -> Factory Settings -> all and choose reset.
+ Press "Setup" , choose factory settings -> reset.
+ Remove key .
+ Put ingnition on car while holding button on stereo, wait untill Skoda logo
+ setup carplay again

Not sure about the factory settings. Thats what its called in danish (fabriksindstillinger)

(Translated from Danish, soo....)

Gonna be honest, i was 100% sure this wasn't going to work (as im pretty sure my dealership also tried this back in October/November when i went there) but i tried it and it seems to have removed the stuttering issue completely. It also seems to have removed the echoing issue on the receiving end of phonecalls from CarPlay. I guess this was 100% an Apple/Carplay software issue?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fum said:

Probably. I am not the greatest translator. 🙂

It was a perfectly sufficient translation!

To clarify for all reading, I interpreted as the power button for the button pressed and held above.

Appears to have worked for me at the first instance! No stuttering in 2x 20-ish minute drives. Glad to have it working the way it should be. Only thing left to test is the phone calls and echoing on the other side - might give that a go soon!

On 20/04/2020 at 09:41, Benz3ne said:

Only thing left to test is the phone calls and echoing on the other side - might give that a go soon!

Have you been able to test this yet?

52 minutes ago, Rizzoed said:

Have you been able to test this yet?

I’ve had a couple of phone calls for work with the managing director and he’s not mentioned anything but yet to specifically test that.