CarPlay stutter... Eugh!

I've found it to be considerably less noticeable over the last couple of updates. To the point that I've only picked up on one stutter when it was simultaneously streaming music and using Google Maps. Happy enough with it as it stands.

(FWIW: iPhone 7 and '19 Fabia).

Edit: This is accounting for iOS 13 which I updated to last night.

Edited by Benz3ne

4 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

I've found it to be considerably less noticeable over the last couple of updates. To the point that I've only picked up on one stutter when it was simultaneously streaming music and using Google Maps. Happy enough with it as it stands.

(FWIW: iPhone 7 and '19 Fabia).

Edit: This is accounting for iOS 13 which I updated to last night.

I've had the head-unit in the car updated (thanks to @pab567 ) and haven't noticed any issues since then,

Before it would often get stuck in loops where it would connect, complain then disconnect, then reconnect again etc..

I've noticed the audio stutter has been more dependant on iOS updates, since my phone has gone through later iOS revisions that has improved significantly. There were a couple late revisions of iOS 10 which seemed bad for it.

Since the head-unit update and the latest iOS update, i have had only 1 instance of stuttering audio in the past ~2 months.

I'm going to update iOS again too now...

15 minutes ago, macsmurf said:

iOS 13.1 is out today...

I hope it fixes the awful night colour scheme on maps! Aswell as siri seemingly going missing, and it ignoring voice input for searching for destinations.. man someone did not test carplay! It was fine before lol

9 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I hope it fixes the awful night colour scheme on maps! Aswell as siri seemingly going missing, and it ignoring voice input for searching for destinations.. man someone did not test carplay! It was fine before lol

And the ability to turn off the bloody 'memoji' crap. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind an emoji from time to time, but I'm not going to be sending any moving purple unicorns to friends anytime soon.

Also, Siri seems to have shat it's pants in that when I ask for it to phone my better half, it says it can only phone one person at a time. I know her emotions can change quickly, but I don't think she's two people... 

1 hour ago, Benz3ne said:

And the ability to turn off the bloody 'memoji' crap. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind an emoji from time to time, but I'm not going to be sending any moving purple unicorns to friends anytime soon.

Also, Siri seems to have shat it's pants in that when I ask for it to phone my better half, it says it can only phone one person at a time. I know her emotions can change quickly, but I don't think she's two people... 

Haha, yes the memoji thing is so annoying! Siri usually gets things right, but i wasn't aware i occasionally have an accent so strong that it thinks im trying to go somewhere in london when im from up north! 😂

Updated to 13.1 now, i'll see how it is tonight, so far i'm not impressed with the quite drastic changes they made to carplay screens and layout etc.

I have the same problem with my Fabia III Swing. Spotify and Apple Music stutters at CarPlay with my iphone 7 on iOS 13.1. I´ve tried it also in my Octavia with Amundsen MIB2 without any problems there.

Do anyone knows the latest software for Fabia III Swing? At the moment I´ve installed version 8740.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Phoenixd said:

I’m glad it’s not just me then, did Skoda ever find a solution for you? 

Well it improved for me over the last couple of updates but now back to its own ways (if not worse). 
They have not. Not pleased with it considering my other half’s older (2017) polo works flawlessly with CarPlay. 

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem. I was on a finance plan so it made sense to trade in my 2016 Fabia before the first MOT was due but I actually wasn't that bothered about changing as I really rather liked my old Fabia! No problems at all using Carplay on the old Fabia. 
Picked up my new Fabia last month and noticed the stuttering problem straight away. Plus when I make calls on Carplay, the person on the other end has a constant echo on the call meaning they can't really understand what I'm saying. No stutter or call problems on Bluetooth but I use maps loads so really need carplay to work for calls rather than use bluetooth. I've also got a fault line down the screen - which is there all the time not just with apple carplay. 
Tried the software update on my iphone, made no difference. Took back in to show the garage after a couple of days, tried one of the staff's phones - same problem. So they booked it in for today to look at. Just had a call to say Skoda have said it's a problem with iphones and they're not going to do anything about it. The lady at the garage was very apologetic but has said there's nothing they can do if Skoda won't fix it. The stutter is annoying but I can put up with if I have to. But the problem with the calls makes it unusable.

Has anyone else had the issue with calls? It sounds fine to me in the car but the person on the other end hears everything in the conversation repeated. 
I genuinely would have kept my old car if I'd known I'd not be able to use car play. The fact that it was a known issue to Skoda (From @Benz3ne's May 16th post) and they've not declared it makes me wonder if I have a stronger case to complain? 
Anyone else gotten anywhere with this? 

30 minutes ago, Clobbi said:

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem. I was on a finance plan so it made sense to trade in my 2016 Fabia before the first MOT was due but I actually wasn't that bothered about changing as I really rather liked my old Fabia! No problems at all using Carplay on the old Fabia. 
Picked up my new Fabia last month and noticed the stuttering problem straight away. Plus when I make calls on Carplay, the person on the other end has a constant echo on the call meaning they can't really understand what I'm saying. No stutter or call problems on Bluetooth but I use maps loads so really need carplay to work for calls rather than use bluetooth. I've also got a fault line down the screen - which is there all the time not just with apple carplay. 
Tried the software update on my iphone, made no difference. Took back in to show the garage after a couple of days, tried one of the staff's phones - same problem. So they booked it in for today to look at. Just had a call to say Skoda have said it's a problem with iphones and they're not going to do anything about it. The lady at the garage was very apologetic but has said there's nothing they can do if Skoda won't fix it. The stutter is annoying but I can put up with if I have to. But the problem with the calls makes it unusable.

Has anyone else had the issue with calls? It sounds fine to me in the car but the person on the other end hears everything in the conversation repeated. 
I genuinely would have kept my old car if I'd known I'd not be able to use car play. The fact that it was a known issue to Skoda (From @Benz3ne's May 16th post) and they've not declared it makes me wonder if I have a stronger case to complain? 

Yes, the other half has commented on hearing an echo on her end, as has one of my work colleagues. 

Unfortunately not got anywhere with it despite some fairly consistent pestering (when I first received the car). They essentially said that I’d have to wait until the next radio update. 

if I were in your shoes I’d keep bothering them as they’ve sold you a faulty car after taking your good one. I’ll keep on at them as I’m in the same boat (need calls, enjoy music, dislike the radio and use maps) and they’ve not actually resolved the issue; one I didn’t think would be present in a car made in 2019. 

19 hours ago, Clobbi said:

My other half quite often complains that she can hear an echo when I call her and the call breaks up quite a bit, any audio that I play from my phone also breaks up. I hadn’t mentioned it to Skoda (only had the car 4 months) but spotted @Benz3nes post and realised it’s a common problem. Very poor that they aren’t trying to fix it! I’m in the same boat of needing to use CarPlay rather than Bluetooth.

I've been to my local dealership today and they basically gave me exactly the same response that @Benz3ne was given in May. Skoda are saying they are aware of a fault and are working on a software update. I showed the dealership the posts on here that show they've been saying that for months and that they've yet to do anything about it. 

The manager at the dealership as has said he's going to escalate it. I'm considering a complaint to trading standards. I know it sounds a bit extreme but I feel like Skoda have known about the fault for a while and continue to knowingly sell the car with the fault, whilst advertising apple carplay as a feature of the car. I'm not blaming those at the dealership as they didn't know anything about it but I will be taking things further with Skoda themselves. It not only effects the quality of my calls/music... It would also have a potential impact on the value of the car if I came to resell. I really wish I'd just kept my old car instead!! (which the dealership are now selling for £2000 more than they told me it was worth!) 
@Phoenixd maybe you should log it with your dealership too -surely the more of us that kick up a fuss the more likely it is they will look into it? 

I’m so glad I’m not the only one!...

I mean.. this issue is ballsack, I can’t even use CarPlay. I got my Fabia Monte mid July and started having this issue in beginning of August, I wonder why it took 2 weeks and 800km before the issue started. 

is this what it sounds like for you guys as well?

Reading around this issue it does seem to be an iPhone iOS issue as it is not restricted to just Skoda but appears to be affecting a number of manufacturers.

Having said that I can't really comment further as I'm on Android which seems to work fine on cars that have reported carplay issues.  :biggrin:

@Rizzoed your stutter is worse than mine!! Again, I'd say you should take it to your dealership and log a complaint if you haven't already. The more of us that do that, the better :)

@skomaz It's a problem between the skoda software and the Apple Ios - but skoda are saying it's their software that's the problem, not apple's. Many of us have had skoda's before and used apple carplay with no problems. It's the newer model of Fabia's that have the issue. Hoping if we kick up enough fuss they'll sort it out. 

37 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Reading around this issue it does seem to be an iPhone iOS issue as it is not restricted to just Skoda but appears to be affecting a number of manufacturers.

Having said that I can't really comment further as I'm on Android which seems to work fine on cars that have reported carplay issues.  :biggrin:

I used to occasionally get random audio corruption, that would then be followed by the car not wanting to detect the phone and causing a loop of "connect-detect-fail-disconnect" for 5-10 tries then either the head unit would crash or it would just deactivate carplay on that device (and just treat it as a usb stick).

Since i update my head unit's software (thanks to @pab567) i've not had any of that since.

My iPhone 6 didn't seem to cause any issues,

My iPhone 6S was notorious for causing crashes

Then i updated the head unit

My iPhone 6S then occasionally would throw a wobbly but it wouldn't crash the head unit and simply unplugging and replugging the usb cable fixed that, later iOS updates improved things further.

My iPhone 7+ initially had issues, turned out to be the cable finally giving up! £8 tesco's one i've had for many years has definitely paid off vs buying several hundred rubbishy 50p ones from scam shops 😂

Now i begin to wonder if the previous issues were anything to do with the cable..

9 hours ago, Rizzoed said:

I’m so glad I’m not the only one!...

I mean.. this issue is ballsack, I can’t even use CarPlay. I got my Fabia Monte mid July and started having this issue in beginning of August, I wonder why it took 2 weeks and 800km before the issue started. 

is this what it sounds like for you guys as well?

Definitely worse than mine. Mine simply goes silent for a split second (literal) then continues. 

8 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I used to occasionally get random audio corruption, that would then be followed by the car not wanting to detect the phone and causing a loop of "connect-detect-fail-disconnect" for 5-10 tries then either the head unit would crash or it would just deactivate carplay on that device (and just treat it as a usb stick).

Since i update my head unit's software (thanks to @pab567) i've not had any of that since.

My iPhone 6 didn't seem to cause any issues,

My iPhone 6S was notorious for causing crashes

Then i updated the head unit

My iPhone 6S then occasionally would throw a wobbly but it wouldn't crash the head unit and simply unplugging and replugging the usb cable fixed that, later iOS updates improved things further.

My iPhone 7+ initially had issues, turned out to be the cable finally giving up! £8 tesco's one i've had for many years has definitely paid off vs buying several hundred rubbishy 50p ones from scam shops 😂

Now i begin to wonder if the previous issues were anything to do with the cable..

Cable might have been the perpetrator in your case but not mine if this helps. :) have tried with 3 iPhones and several cables, two from amazon, one cheap one not as well as the OEM cable that came with the phone. If genuine Apple can’t solve it I don’t think others will, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

The response I got was largely due to licensing issues with Apple And Skoda (or at least the manufacturer of the software as it presents on some seat etc I’ve been told) the stutter appears only for iPhone and not android, so that validates your theory. :) 

5 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

The response I got was largely due to licensing issues with Apple And Skoda (or at least the manufacturer of the software as it presents on some seat etc I’ve been told) the stutter appears only for iPhone and not android, so that validates your theory. :) 

For info I've seen reports of stuttering affecting (in no particular order):

Mercedes

Peugeot

Citroen

Suzuki

Subaru

B MW

Honda

Audi

Mazda

VW

Nissan

Renault

Jaguar

MG

And I’d bet there are other manufacturers suffering as well that I’ve not listed.

Now unless those manufacturers all get their infotainment system supplied by the same manufacturer (which I highly doubt) it would appear to be an Apple issue and not a manufacturer issue.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

Definitely worse than mine. Mine simply goes silent for a split second (literal) then continues. 

Admittedly this is definitely a worse case scenario, if happened a bit in the beginning but mai my just stuttering for a split second as you said. 

who do we complain to then? Apple or Škoda? I just need to sharpen my pitchforks 🤧