VRS MPG - Miles per Gallon

Having previously owned a VRS TDI 170 I am considering buying a new VRS 245 TSI but have bothered about the mpg you get from them.

I have searched for "vrs mpg" in the forums but didn't find this discussed in the first two pages.

Would owners of VRS 230 TSI or VRS 245 TSI mind commenting on the MPG you get? I mostly motorway drive but it is very busy around Manchester.

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, TheWanderer said:

Just got an nice 38 on a 7 mile trip into work this morning and I got a 44 mpg on a trip from Guildford to Calais/St Omer recently which isn't bad considering the car has less that 1k miles OTC. 

Thanks - thats not so bad as I read a magazine article saying real world was about 29 mpg !

36 minutes ago, awhitham said:

Thanks - thats not so bad as I read a magazine article saying real world was about 29 mpg !

29.5mpg here over the last three years.  I'm an interloper here though as I've only got a 220 :biggrin:

Gaz

Got a 230 and I average about 34-35mpg for a 10 mile trip through B-Roads and a short stretch of a Dual Carriageway. I take it fairly easy and don't often give it the beans either.

Edited by Ash_

3 minutes ago, V6TDI said:

29.5mpg here over the last three years.  I'm an interloper here though as I've only got a 220 :biggrin:

Gaz

Most petrol TSI with 220 to 330 Bhp can easily achieve 40+ Mpg  on long motorway runs keeping up with the flow of traffic. I recently got an indicated 42 and 44 Mpg on a 250 mile journey to Dorset and back with an average speed of 55Mph, even with very heavy rush hour 1st and 2nd gear crawling queues at every motorway junction on the return leg. Not sure what it would drop to on the Autobahn though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

if you are bothered about MPG get an oil burner?

Have a Diesel 150hp Octavia now and had a VRS 170hp before.

Not had a petrol in years but thinking with government policies might be way to go

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Im closer to 250 bhp now (a few mods done) and getting 45mpg average around town, hardly any motorway driving anymore as ive switched jobs. I could push that up to 50+ if i drove conservatively,

Only 250bhp!:giggle:

15 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

should get around 290 with a proper tune.... which is the limit for this type of engine due to the crappy head design

Wouldn't really want to go any further with mine as 517NM of torque at 2,600rpm is enough to get wheelspin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear in the wet. Seeing the traction control light flickering at 77mph in 3rd is a concern.;)

• Haha 2

Amazed you didn't find any results around VRS mpg, it's been done loads of times.

Ultimately shorter trips are closer to 30mpg and longer trips are closer to 40mpg. Favourable traffic conditions on long runs and sensible speeds might even see 45mpg ish.

Knowing what it's like getting in and out of Manchester and how busy it can be, I think you'd do well to break 40mpg, but then the diesel isn't going to be 50mpg+ in those circumstances either.

2 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

Im closer to 250 bhp now (a few mods done) and getting 45mpg average around town, hardly any motorway driving anymore as ive switched jobs. I could push that up to 50+ if i drove conservatively,

My spidey senses are tingling.........

Had my 245 DSG Estate delivered Wed and since then averaged 28-32mpg drive pretty conservaitvly though so I am sure this will pick up a bit. Going by onboard computer should be looking at 340 miles from a tank. A bit of a shock to system after averaging 60mpg in my V60 D3 R-Design but I am really impressed by the drive and feel of the car in comparison. Will be interesting to see how it does on a longer journey when I return to Germany next week.

6 minutes ago, flash222004 said:

Had my 245 DSG Estate delivered Wed and since then averaged 28-32mpg drive pretty conservaitvly though so I am sure this will pick up a bit. Going by onboard computer should be looking at 340 miles from a tank. A bit of a shock to system after averaging 60mpg in my V60 D3 R-Design but I am really impressed by the drive and feel of the car in comparison. Will be interesting to see how it does on a longer journey when I return to Germany next week.

I went from 2016 Superb 1.4Tsi giving 700 miles per 66 litre tank to 450 miles in my 50 litre Vrs. Compensation comes from the extra 188bhp though.:notme:

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I went from 2016 Superb 1.4Tsi giving 700 miles per 66 litre tank to 450 miles in my 50 litre Vrs. Compensation comes from the extra 188bhp though.:notme:

11 minutes ago, TonyD said:

I have a 245 with 1200 miles on the clock. Just averaged 44mpg on trip from Bristol to Nottingham. Local runs it's about 36.

It’s still pretty good, I’m impressed, I should have got a vRS instead of a 1.4.

From full tank to zero range on mine would be doing well to get 400 miles:crying: