Stop/Start Fault?

My 64 plate Octavia 2.0 diesel occasionally cuts out when braking and changing down to negotiate a turn. Brakes and steering are non-existent almost immediately of course so it's dangerous. "Re-start manually" appears on dashboard so simply dipping the clutch doesn't get you out of trouble. I've had my Skoda dealer look at this twice but they found nothing. Anyone have an answer? I'm currently switching the Stop/Start off each journey. 

Had a Volvo diesel before the current one and I stalled that frequently when start/stop were used. Manual gearbox.

The engine hadn't got the revs up before I started to move, if I took it easier it worked ok.

Edited by GenOtmin

I know this is for DSG, but may have some info which will help you.

On 22/03/2019 at 06:05, ncgallagher said:

My 64 plate Octavia 2.0 diesel occasionally cuts out when braking and changing down to negotiate a turn. Brakes and steering are non-existent almost immediately of course so it's dangerous. "Re-start manually" appears on dashboard so simply dipping the clutch doesn't get you out of trouble. I've had my Skoda dealer look at this twice but they found nothing. Anyone have an answer? I'm currently switching the Stop/Start off each journey. 

Thanks for the comments evrryone. It isn't a dsg and this only happens with stop/start switched on. I'm not hitting the key with my knee and am pretty certain I'm not stalling it. I have stalled the engine but only when distracted (by my passenger!!) and try to pull away in too high a gear. On each occasion I have been changing down from 3rd to 2nd to turn at a junction or on entering a roundabout. I'm just disabling stop/start now each journey.

On 29/03/2019 at 08:13, ncgallagher said:

Thanks for the comments evrryone. It isn't a dsg and this only happens with stop/start switched on. I'm not hitting the key with my knee and am pretty certain I'm not stalling it. I have stalled the engine but only when distracted (by my passenger!!) and try to pull away in too high a gear. On each occasion I have been changing down from 3rd to 2nd to turn at a junction or on entering a roundabout. I'm just disabling stop/start now each journey.

I used to do all that but then there were the occasions  when I forgot to disable it. After a while I got used to it and now I never disable it and it functions ok .One exception is that on the first run of the day it may not operate for some time and I put that down to the battery not  yet having  enough power.

Your right the battery must have at least 95% charge to engage stop/start. Sometimes mine will work only half a mile after I leave home other times it may take 1 mile. However my alternator is constantly topping up the battery as most of the time my car gets a 40-60 minute commute of 26 miles each way for myself or SWMBO who is borrowing it tomorrow (got to keep her sweet driving the beast seems to make her very happy).:thumbup:

Do you have VCDS or can you find anyone on the VCDS thread who can scan the car for you so you can post it? That might reveal if it's grumbling about something.

On 31/03/2019 at 18:50, shyVRS245 said:

Your right the battery must have at least 95% charge to engage stop/start. Sometimes mine will work only half a mile after I leave home other times it may take 1 mile. However my alternator is constantly topping up the battery as most of the time my car gets a 40-60 minute commute of 26 miles each way for myself or SWMBO who is borrowing it tomorrow (got to keep her sweet driving the beast seems to make her very happy).:thumbup:

No, nearer to 80%, you have a smart charging system which tries to keep the battery at 75/80 SOC leaving room for any regeneration, The EMU will only allow the alternator to charge via the engine when the SOC is below 75/80%, that`s why on short journeys when the battery is not new the car fails to start, if you have little or no  regeneration on short journeys the battery remains in that 75/80% SOC, ok for a new battery not so for an older but still good battery.

A simple test is to charge the battery then disconnect the sensor on the negative rail of the starter battery and drive the car for a few days and see if the starting problem goes away, the system with the sensor disconnected will now try to charge the battery fully at all times. The charge voltage is now between 13.8 and 14.3 volts totally safe, you will loose Stop/start, that should be a bonus. My Merc runs fine on this sensor disconnect, I did it to get rid of stop start.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Pretty certain having stop/start activated all of the time helps my excellent average of 39.57mpg over 20,000 miles considering the 336bhp stage 2 map on my car.:thumbup:

Wow,  You must have a very light foot and nice long runs.

Try turning stop/start off for a week and check MPG, this would actually validate your statement.

I am not suggesting SS wont save you money in the short term. its the cost longer term that is concerning (beyond 3 years). The best AGM batterys made for stop/start systems have a warranty of only 3 years against good quality standard lead acid batteries for none SS cars of 5 years, that should tell you something. It is estimated that stop start vehicles do 500,000 lifetime starts against none stop start life time starts of 50,000. Every time the engine stops the oil between the crankshaft and the main bearings looses pressure and the two surfaces touch. Even though a warm start is not as bad as a cold engine start both surfaces touch and there is still wear. Some engine parts have supposedly been strengthened, we will see as time passes. Since the inclusion of stop/start systems there appears to be far more posts on the forums regarding battery related problems, from none starting BMW`s to system shutdowns on F150`s. 

Edited by Bobclive2

1 hour ago, Bobclive2 said:

Wow,  You must have a very light foot and nice long runs.

Try turning stop/start off for a week and check MPG, this would actually validate your statement.

I am not suggesting SS wont save you money in the short term. its the cost longer term that is concerning (beyond 3 years). The best AGM batterys made for stop/start systems have a warranty of only 3 years against good quality standard lead acid batteries for none SS cars of 5 years, that should tell you something. It is estimated that stop start vehicles do 500,000 lifetime starts against none stop start life time starts of 50,000. Every time the engine stops the oil between the crankshaft and the main bearings looses pressure and the two surfaces touch. Even though a warm start is not as bad as a cold engine start both surfaces touch and there is still wear. Some engine parts have supposedly been strengthened, we will see as time passes. Since the inclusion of stop/start systems there appears to be far more posts on the forums regarding battery related problems, from none starting BMW`s to system shutdowns on F150`s. 

26 Mile commute each way and yes I drive with a light right foot (best tank 527 miles 50 litres). Only time will tell how long the battery will last. Not expecting more than 5 years or 60,000 miles.:thumbup:

27 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

26 Mile commute each way and yes I drive with a light right foot (best tank 527 miles 50 litres). Only time will tell how long the battery will last. Not expecting more than 5 years or 60,000 miles.

As the manufactures say NO Gain.

AGM AFTERMARKET FALTERS AS DRIVERS DISABLE START-STOP FUNCTION

Johnson Controls, the world’s largest start-stop battery manufacturer, told BESB on August 10 that ‘parties’ were discussing the complete removal of the option to override the start-stop function in new cars.

Another global lead battery manufacturer that asked not to be named also said it “does believe there will eventually be a requirement to remove the choice of using start/stop in the vehicle given its use is directly tied to CO2 emissions and fuel economy standards”.

But although AGM or EFB batteries are more expensive than standard SLI, the cost of having to replace them more often would be balanced by the fuel savings, said Riedel.

http://www.batteriesinternational.com/2017/08/10/agm-aftermarket-falters-as-drivers-disable-start-stop-function/

4 hours ago, Bobclive2 said:

As the manufactures say NO Gain.

AGM AFTERMARKET FALTERS AS DRIVERS DISABLE START-STOP FUNCTION

Johnson Controls, the world’s largest start-stop battery manufacturer, told BESB on August 10 that ‘parties’ were discussing the complete removal of the option to override the start-stop function in new cars.

Another global lead battery manufacturer that asked not to be named also said it “does believe there will eventually be a requirement to remove the choice of using start/stop in the vehicle given its use is directly tied to CO2 emissions and fuel economy standards”.

But although AGM or EFB batteries are more expensive than standard SLI, the cost of having to replace them more often would be balanced by the fuel savings, said Riedel.

http://www.batteriesinternational.com/2017/08/10/agm-aftermarket-falters-as-drivers-disable-start-stop-function/

So to save some CO2 Emissions, we'll change the car to not allow a user to keep it running.

This will mean more expensive batteries, which are more complicated to manufacture, requiring more fuel to generate the electric to make them, will fail more often.

Consumers will save fuel, which will help offset this, and better manufacturers will be happy as they will make their R&D back and sell more batteries that are a likely harder to recycle.

Sounds an amazing environmental decision, more waste and way more energy burned to make the new batteries that is saved I imagine.

Plus much of that waste is plastic (Yay)

Maybe they should just deal with the congestion by reducing the number of pointless lights and doing something about traffic flow combined with non **** public transport options that don't cost the earth to use?

Rant over

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a break over the winter, I plucked up the courage to again  tell the local Skoda dealer that my Stop/Start is still not working(been in 4 times). And the 12v battery is low warning is still popping up.

Car never fails to start, but the warning is alarming. Warranty runs out in June.

3 hours ago, gregoir said:

After a break over the winter, I plucked up the courage to again  tell the local Skoda dealer that my Stop/Start is still not working(been in 4 times). And the 12v battery is low warning is still popping up.

Car never fails to start, but the warning is alarming. Warranty runs out in June.

Assuming your battery is an AGM or EFB   put it on a charger that is suitable for stop/start battery. That will make a difference but if the problem soon returns, then it's for the dealer to get sorted.

It's for the dealer to get sorted indeed. Its been given back to me 3 or 4 times as "sorted". No interference required from me while it is still under warranty .:dry: