Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

Any 24EV update results?

Now with the wet & colder weather, using heater, fan, windscreen wipers etc & due to 2nd gear problems at low speed & being told to change into 1st gear at 10mph, when stopping to change into 1st gear, the rpm seems to drop to about 600 & the car does not respond to the throttle unless excessive revs are used.

Well I am pleased to announce that after driving now for 4 weeks on from the "Kangarooing fix".......Its back! It's my wife's car, and though I don't drive it very often we both agree the fault is back. It is no way as bad as when it was at it's frustrating worst, but the fault is creeping back in. I am absolutely pig sick of this car, and all our dealings with our local dealership. I can't wait to get rid,and I will tell anyone who asks, exactly how bad it has been. Why VW and Audi had a fix available months before Skoda is completely staggering.

• Like 2

I agree! Can't wait to get rid of this car although the kangaroo isn't back I still get that annoying (very) little jerk when pulling away in 1st. Also the drone noise I mentioned in an earlier post is getting worse. The dealer agreed with me but as yet cannot identify the cause therefore the car is booked in for a full examination next Thursday. More inconvenience, £12 for courtesy car insurance and time spent sorting it out. 😡😡

3 hours ago, JakeB1941 said:

£12 for courtesy car insurance and time spent sorting it out.

Your dealer charges you for the courtesy car, even when it is in for warranty work?

Servicing, fair enough, but for warranty work I'd be asking them to pass the charge onto Skoda UK.

• Like 2

I must admit that I feel quite disconcerted when I read negative reports following the 24EU update. Shortly after that update, my car died leaving junctions a couple of times and I thought we'd returned to the bad old days but, 2 months and 1500 miles later, the car seems to be going very well. When I leave our house, I have to cautiously drive round a neighbour's house and, at this slow speed, I can sometimes sense a slight hiccup which feels very similar to my wife's 1.0 petrol B-max.

After reading Jake's last post, we took the Karoq out this morning for a short trip that I could have walked; it had been a cold night, and I thought that I'd just take another opportunity to test the car. My wife came with me; she thought the car was 100% ok, I just felt the very slight hiccup. Maybe I'm getting good at anticipating this and timing/applying  just the right amount of throttle?

On the topic of courtesy cars, my dealer (Vindis, Bury St Edmunds) has always offered me a courtesy car when the Karoq has been in for warranty work. I have tried Rapid, Fabia and Octavias, but nothing comes anywhere near the driving position, the comfort and the ambience of the Karoq.

• Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly regarding the fee for the courtesy car and will take this up with them but I believe that will depend on whether or not the problem is a warranty repair. The annoying 'jerk' when pulling away is countered by clutch and throttle control when expecting it and this becomes the norm but why should it be like this. I have had and driven many cars in the past including 3 Skodas and this is the first that has had this problem. As you say it's a great car and is being let down by the engineering transmission.

On 23/11/2019 at 08:28, JakeB1941 said:

……. I still get that annoying (very) little jerk when pulling away in 1st. 

Could this be due to the automatic handbrake releasing? Perhaps try releasing the brake manually and then pull away? Just a thought.

The only time I had  courtesy cars was when Skoda UK booked the Karoq in for a fault to be diagnosed and then a couple of weeks later for a new door lock to be fitted to fix the fault, obviously it was warranty work so the dealer was happy. I didn't get offered one when the Karoq was put in to get the 24EU update as SUK left it to me to contact the dealer/retailer as they call it, no recall letter for that update.

Just over 600 miles driven since that last update and it has improved the way the engine runs at low revs no end even in the cold frosty weather we've had and no problems with the stop start either although I deactivate it on the odd occasions I visit the city of Inverness ..... too many traffic lights there and they always seem to be red.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Apprentice said:

The only time I had  courtesy cars was when Skoda UK booked the Karoq in for a fault to be diagnosed and then a couple of weeks later for a new door lock to be fitted to fix the fault, obviously it was warranty work so the dealer was happy. I didn't get offered one when the Karoq was put in to get the 24EU update as SUK left it to me to contact the dealer/retailer as they call it, no recall letter for that update.

Just over 600 miles driven since that last update and it has improved the way the engine runs at low revs no end even in the cold frosty weather we've had and no problems with the stop start either although I deactivate it on the odd occasions I visit the city of Inverness ..... too many traffic lights there and they always seem to be red.

SNAP! on the red lights.

Edited by JakeB1941

5 minutes ago, JakeB1941 said:

SNAP! on the red lights.

Moi aussi re red lights -the following mess is just up the road from me, joy!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3644931/Junction-dubbed-red-light-district-42-separate-traffic-lights-possibly-fewer-say-engineers-designed-it.html

15 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Wow! Now that is what you call a red light district. Lol

• 2 months later...
On 02/11/2019 at 09:52, clivecoo said:

Received this letter from Skoda yesterday for my 1.5 SEL DSG
I’ll get it done with 1st oil change this month. 
is it the same letter others have received ?

685FB42A-94A5-4A76-A72D-FCC5C508C4D2.jpeg

Hi clivecoo, 

I just wondered if you are still having any issues with your Karoq after having the 24EV update as in your letter, or is everything running as is should?

Edited by Karr3

6 hours ago, Karr3 said:

Hi clivecoo, 

I just wondered if you are still having any issues with your Karoq after having the 24EV update as in your letter, or is everything running as is should?

Hi Karr3. 
I’ve  done a couple of thousand miles since the update and no problems at all. 
I’m very pleased with the car. On quite a few mornings I’ve left home early with minus temperatures and the engine just pulls away as smoothly as a warm start. 
No hesitation at junctions and no sign of kangarooing.  👍

• 1 month later...

Had the software update done for second time at end of February. First time had made no difference but could not be bothered going back as I thought I would see to it at first service visit. Second time was really pleased with car as it performed brilliantly for once (steady rev counter at switch on and no kangaroo or power fade). Four weeks later and the same old problems are back. Booked in for third upgrade ( same software I believe - just reloading it). Totally sick of this as I’ve had this problem since the day I drove away brand new . Just getting fobbed off until the warranty runs out I think. 
karoq 1.5 tsi sel manual nov 18

• Sad 1

Is it the same Skoda dealer/retailer who has done all the updates if so why not try another?

My Karoq has done around 7000 miles now in 13 months and can say that after the updates all is good,  fortunately the Kroo problem wasn't that bad from new more a Joey issue when the engine was cold but the lack of power issue at low revs in 2nd gear was noticeable and a PITA.

Whatever is thought of Inverness Skoda - Arnold Clark the service techs must have uploaded the ECU updates correctly.

Edited by Apprentice
typo

Some Polish studios already have chip tuning for our engine. 
I wrote to them asking if they knew a kangaroo.  They said they had never heard of it.  It seems that in Poland there is no kangaroo at all, as well as in Ukraine (I wonder how the cars there differ from ours).

Very interesting how tuning the firmware will affect the kangaroo.  Whether it kills the kangaroo forever, or nothing changes.

I would love to experience this, but they are too far from Finland 😞
It seems they have an office in Germany.  Are there any kangaroo owners from Germany?

Edited by kifir

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, GrovesK said:

Hi .. has anybody had the Kangarooing return after the software update? My 2nd gear issue is resolved but the kangaroo seems to be making a slow return. 

On another thread, Jake B mentioned that the kangaroo had started to creep back on his Karoq. Mine seems to have a very slight kangaroo when it's cold but, when I leave the house, I have to reverse off the drive then crawl round another house - so I am very gingerly using the throttle and clutch anyway. Of course, by the time I'm making the return journey, the engine is still slightly warm and I don't really notice any issues.

Yup, me too.

The kangarooing is beginning to creep back and seems to be getting worse. No sign of the dreaded stall yet though. The second gear issue is back too . Sometimes when I’m deliberately crawling in second gear - car park  etc, the ECU takes it upon itself to speed the car up quite rapidly. Some sort of anti stall system, I presume, but it’s quite random. And this too was meant to be fixed in the last update. 

The car was booked in for its first oil change / check on the very day

the lockdown started and the dealership closed. I was going to get this sorted ( again) then. 

Ho hum! And have I told you about the transmission warning light that came on for a few days, no limp mode,  and went away again. AND the ‘ automatic parking brake fault’ warning that came and went? 

Im struggling to like this car! 

2 hours ago, StEdmund said:

On another thread, Jake B mentioned that the kangaroo had started to creep back on his Karoq. Mine seems to have a very slight kangaroo when it's cold but, when I leave the house, I have to reverse off the drive then crawl round another house - so I am very gingerly using the throttle and clutch anyway. Of course, by the time I'm making the return journey, the engine is still slightly warm and I don't really notice any issues.

All still good with mine. No kangarooing and no 2nd gear problem. Update carried out in October 2019 and has not missed a beat ever since

Our's is definitely occurring again, along with a knocking from somewhere front right, and the central locking going mad everytime you slow down and pull away again. The second service was due a while ago,  but no chance of that or anything else been sorted anytime soon. Good job we aren't using it much.