Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

1 hour ago, clivecoo said:

Received this letter from Skoda yesterday for my 1.5 SEL DSG
I’ll get it done with 1st oil change this month. 
is it the same letter others have received ?

685FB42A-94A5-4A76-A72D-FCC5C508C4D2.jpeg

I had the 24EV Engine control unit recall done on my May '19 reg Karoq SEL 1.5tsi manual (they called it a workshop campaign) 1.10.19. I found out about it from a live chat with Skoda UK. Details about recall were on gov.uk, motor ombudsman, & Skoda website. Have never received a letter. 

After the update I am still having problems, sometimes a slight kangaroo & it is still bad picking up in 2nd gear.

1 hour ago, clivecoo said:

I didn't get this letter as I believe my Karoq is fitted with a 110 amp alternator not the 180 amp version plus the update/recall for my Karoq was 24EU not 24EV which is 2019 vehicle buid/production date specific.

25 minutes ago, Karr3 said:

So after testing this out, you found that your car had no problem what so ever pulling away when you applied the throttle in 2nd gear (apart from the steeper gradiant) while you were doing 7/8/9mph? Just as a matter of interest, does it make any difference if you have the start/stop on or off, or if you are using the hearing/air con?

There were no issues from leaving the house in the morning at which time the engine's water/oil temps wouldn't be at their maximum operating temps and an hour or so later when they would be still no issues, the stop-start was on all the time, the heating/air con was off first thing in the morning but the heating + fan were switched on with the air con off an hour or so later and once again still no issues.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

There were no issues from leaving the house in the morning at which time the engine's water/oil temps wouldn't be at their maximum operating temps and an hour or so later when they would be still no issues, the stop-start was on all the time, the heating/air con was off first thing in the morning but the heating + fan were switched on with the air con off an hour or so later and once again still no issues.

Thanks again for all the detail & info. 

2 hours ago, JakeB1941 said:

This is the letter which should have been sent out to the owners of every 1.5 tsi since it was first reported but very few have received them.  It acknowledges the fault as a safety recall which should have been the response from DVSA when it was  brought to their attention. God knows what rubbish VAG gave them and shame on them for not investigating it properly.

All who have received this letter should be very aware of driving before the fault is rectified as you are driving a vehicle declared unsafe. I would speak with my insurance provider first.

I agree with your post, Jake, the DVSA appears to have been hoodwinked. However, immediately prior to the first update, my 1.5 Karoq was taken in and replaced with a diesel Scout - and I do wonder if the DVSA had made some intervention at that point. I did not receive a letter, though, and everything was done via my dealer and phone conversations with Skoda UK.

Returning to the last update (done on 20th September) ....... I had an early scare about a week afterwards when the car died when pulling onto a main road, and again the next morning; it has been fine since with only a slight bounce on taking off. I switched off the auto stop/start at the start of every trip and used 'sport' mode - but I really don't know if this was truly affecting things or not. After another conversation with Skoda UK earlier this week, the car will be checked out by the dealer in 10 days time. The dealer has asked me to leave the auto stop/start active, and I'll use it in 'normal' mode - and report how things are after that. The car has done 1112 miles since the update.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, clivecoo said:

I received the same letter this week. Not sure why they are being so selective with who is on their mailing list? 

Do you own you car outright? I do. It was suggested earlier in the thread that they may only contacting people who are not leasing/PCP in case they don't have their servicing by Skoda? 

While we are talking 'updates', it is useful, if not VITAL, that posters include their car/model/engine/gearbox/MY detail in their 'header details'. See e.g. Apprentices post above. Thanks.

I've got a Karoq 1.5 TSI 150 manual MY18 which i bought outright (with aid of bank loan), but haven't had the letter. I did have a software update back in June or July bit still get slight kangarooing and 2nd gear hesitation, though no repeat (yet) of the total power loss at low rev in 2nd gear.

10 minutes ago, RichardKE said:

I've got a Karoq 1.5 TSI 150 manual MY18 which i bought outright (with aid of bank loan), but haven't had the letter. I did have a software update back in June or July bit still get slight kangarooing and 2nd gear hesitation, though no repeat (yet) of the total power loss at low rev in 2nd gear.

There have been a whole range of symptoms described ......... I can't say that I've ever associated any of my cars problems with 2nd gear - it was always in 1st gear when it died at junctions (it didn't make it as far as 2nd); and it was in 1st gear when kangarooing was experienced. It's all very odd.

In fairness the kangarooing was mainly in 1st, but the total power loss was in 2nd as I was working down the gears preparing to stop at a rounadabout / junction but then didn't need to stop, tried to accelerate and instead the engine just lost all power, not a stall. I now try to get out of 1st asap to avoid any kangarooing, but recently had to slow crawl up a hill close to my house due to road works. It was a total nightmare in the karoq.

3 hours ago, Gingola10 said:

I received the same letter this week. Not sure why they are being so selective with who is on their mailing list? 

Do you own you car outright? I do. It was suggested earlier in the thread that they may only contacting people who are not leasing/PCP in case they don't have their servicing by Skoda? 

I do own the car outright it's MY 19 but doubt if Skoda would treat it differently. It said safety recall on the envelope so would apply to the car not the way it was purchased.

I've not had any real issues with the car but  thinking about it maybe a slight resistance to pick up for the first 100 yards after driving off with a cold engine but sat in the sun all day so Aircon and blower is on max when I drive away. We all tend to start and go so I thought it was just me punishing a cold motor.

It will be interesting to see if I notice any difference.

• Like 1

Out yesterday, early evening, dark, a little rain, about 10degrees. Cold engine, small gradiant, heater + fan on. Slowed for speed bumps in 2nd, about 8mph & not able to accelerate which is what normally happens. (Before & after update, with & without fan). Stopped, changed to 1st, still with fan on, nothing from accelerator. Took out of gear & back in, still nothing until I turned off fan.

Well we had the software update on our Karoq 1.5TSi SEL manual built late 2017 and first registered 26/01/2018 last Wednesday and today I used it for my commute (it needs fuel normally the only time wife lets me drive it). What a difference, now drives like it should have done nearly 22 months ago. Anyone who has the kangaroo problem I would advise them to get it done and it was 0C this morning so a proper test. I used to hate driving this car but finally it may be worth keeping long term and it averaged 50.8mpg today which is not bad considering how cold it was. Car has now covered 20,500 miles.:thumbup:

• Like 1

On 09/11/2019 at 06:57, shyVRS245 said:

Well we had the software update on our Karoq 1.5TSi SEL manual built late 2017 and first registered 26/01/2018 last Wednesday and today I used it for my commute (it needs fuel normally the only time wife lets me drive it). What a difference, now drives like it should have done nearly 22 months ago. Anyone who has the kangaroo problem I would advise them to get it done and it was 0C this morning so a proper test. I used to hate driving this car but finally it may be worth keeping long term and it averaged 50.8mpg today which is not bad considering how cold it was. Car has now covered 20,500 miles.:thumbup:

Do you know which update was applied,  we’ve a similar vintage Karoq and I’d like to get the update applied.  It’s my wife’s car but lately I’ve been driving it a lot and really noticed the kangaroo effect since the weather has turned colder.

thanks!

1 minute ago, Ricey7000 said:

Do you know which update was applied,  we’ve a similar vintage Karoq and I’d like to get the update applied.  It’s my wife’s car but lately I’ve been driving it a lot and really noticed the kangaroo effect since the weather has turned colder.

thanks!

Sorry just gave them the registration and date first registered and the dealer knew which update to apply. Car is now a joy to drive and no more surging at low revs in cold temperatures. They did a free health check while they had the car.:thumbup:

4 hours ago, Karr3 said:

Has anyone got any results of the 24EV recall?

What is you nearest town/city as someone might be able to recommend a good/better Skoda dealer service workshop in that area or not too far away?

Need to get the Karoq checked to see if it is the 24EV recall/update you got and that it was applied correctly and completely to the ECU.

4 hours ago, Apprentice said:

What is you nearest town/city as someone might be able to recommend a good/better Skoda dealer service workshop in that area or not too far away?

Need to get the Karoq checked to see if it is the 24EV recall/update you got and that it was applied correctly and completely to the ECU.

I'm in Cambridgeshire, bought the car at Peterborough. I have already been to a different Skoda dealership who say the recall, (workshop campaign) was loaded correctly. They were the ones who told me to change down to 1st gear while doing 10mph.

"My opinion is at the speed of 10mph and the revs at where they are in 2nd gear it is taking the time for the engine to build up torque to allow it to accelerate. This is caused by the revs dropping very low. Likewise dropping it down to 1st gear would help alleviate this issue."

Have been in touch with Dekra, waiting for a callback from one of their engineers.

Just had my second service at local dealer in MK and they after some strong pushing on my part have updated the ECU software version to 9752.

I told the Receptionist / "service" chap that it had a TPI outstanding and he said no it didn't need anything...

So after some firm discussion he said he would raise a warranty job. I must say I was very disappointed with him and if I had not known about it nothing would have been done.

When I picked the car up he tried to give me no paper work on the update and then when I said I wanted proof he went off and got me the job sheet. I asked what was done and he said he did not know!!!! I asked what TPI it was he said the workshop guy was on lunch and would find out...

What a *ucking Joke...

Anyway I had to pull some things together and he found me before I left and said it was same number as I told him... So I am still not certain they have updated to 9752...

The paper work shows £75.74 for Labour but no more details other than "check and report on judder from cold" which he used that phrase so they have some idea that people have an issue...

Anyway I will monitor and see if it has made start up on cold mornings smoother.

The whole Skoda experience has been very poor and as that was my last free service (2 free deal) I will not bother with MK again... I think I will start looking at Kia as a serious option I think they maybe the new Skoda in the car world with 7 year Warranty...

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, MJ1 said:

Just had my second service at local dealer in MK and they after some strong pushing on my part have updated the ECU software version to 9752.

I told the Receptionist / "service" chap that it had a TPI outstanding and he said no it didn't need anything...

So after some firm discussion he said he would raise a warranty job. I must say I was very disappointed with him and if I had not known about it nothing would have been done.

When I picked the car up he tried to give me no paper work on the update and then when I said I wanted proof he went off and got me the job sheet. I asked what was done and he said he did not know!!!! I asked what TPI it was he said the workshop guy was on lunch and would find out...

What a *ucking Joke...

Anyway I had to pull some things together and he found me before I left and said it was same number as I told him... So I am still not certain they have updated to 9752...

The paper work shows £75.74 for Labour but no more details other than "check and report on judder from cold" which he used that phrase so they have some idea that people have an issue...

Anyway I will monitor and see if it has made start up on cold mornings smoother.

The whole Skoda experience has been very poor and as that was my last free service (2 free deal) I will not bother with MK again... I think I will start looking at Kia as a serious option I think they maybe the new Skoda in the car world with 7 year Warranty...

Disgusting service from your local Dealer, quite the opposite to my experience recently with our update and excellent knowledge of the issue with Marshalls, Leicester.:thumbdown:

What on earth is wrong with some of these Skoda dealers? Where on earth do they think there income comes from and what quality of service checks do Skoda carry out on their front line franchises. 

Thankfully my own dealer has been first class so far however my Karoq has developed a droning sound (not engine related) which is quite annoying. They are doing a test drive with me on Friday so we shall see if they are consistent. 

Yes some of the Skoda dealers are a joke I had a similar experience in Carlisle when they claimed that no software update was available. Fortunately I had liaised with Skoda UK beforehand so could put them right.

I find that on some road surfaces the tyres do drone it seems to be where the surface is rippled, heavy goods vehicles tend I believe to cause tarmac to ripple.

Others on here have complained about noisy tyres. Mine are Bridgestone Turanza that according to tests are very good gripping tyres both in the wet and dry, perhaps the noise is a negative characteristic .

• Thanks 1

One thing I've noticed this past few mornings which have been frosty with temps of -1.5 to -3.0 degrees C is that the initial idle speed on startup is just below 1000rpm, when I first had the Karoq that initial idle speed was 1000rpm but after the first update it changed to 1250rpm and then after less than a minute it would drop to 1000rpm and would settle at 750rpm after a few minutes running.

Looks like something doesn't like the cold, no issues like the rooing etc etc when put into gear and the clutch let out the Karoq moved off quite smoothly in the frosty cold air.