Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

I have a May '19 registered 1.5 SEL DSG and my VIN no. is one of the ones flagged as part of a recall campaign although it doesn't specify for what. 

I've not had any kangarooing but there is a lack of power at low revs especially in D2 but other than that I'm very happy with the car. I'm just a bit concerned that given the diverse range of opinions on this thread there's a chance that an update might actually be detrimental and it won't be possible to undo it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have a Aug 2019 1.5 SEL DSG, it had never shown any of the kangarooing issues etc but at its first annual service was update with 24EU.  Although as I said it never showed any previous issues it now appears to run more smoothly at lower speeds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJ1 said:

Quick update - Finally got on a Live Chat with SK UK and they confirmed my current ECU software version is "6020, while the latest is: 9752" So I will get it updated in 3 weeks time and report back on my jerkyness at start up which is more noticeable now it is colder in the mornings...

How do you see these software version numbers please ?

7 hours ago, Jim104 said:

Have a 2019 DSG and the engine has stopped once on trying to pull away when cold. Its going in today for a minor trim correction and the dealer has said that it is due an update for the engine management system. I do not have the knowledge about the 24EU thing, but I will ask them if it is this that is being updated. How can I tell what updates or original files are on the car please.

The car has had the engine software (not DSG software) updated so will wait and see what happens when its cold.

Appaulingly the garage could not tell me anything about what the update will do other than rooing and cutting out. They said I needed to talk to a technical person elsewhere to find out exactly what this update does. There was no mention of version numbers etc as outlined in the other thread. So where do I go now for this information ?

9 minutes ago, Jim104 said:

How do you see these software version numbers please ?

Hi,

Skoda UK provided these from their database. I don't know how you can check your own car.

You could chat like I did and ask them?

Forget 'chat', other than ask who is on the Chat to get a Communications Manager from Skoda UK representing the Warranty Provider and Importer to put in writting what your car.

On Headed Paper, their position in the company, name and signature.  Date.

With the

Reg Number and VIN is running in the way of Software Updates, from the Factory, or PDI or Service / Recall Action.

Date done and what you are driving with.

It is your property, you are the driver or responsible for the car and its safety.

Somehow Skoda / VW think they are the Keeper of Secrets for Owners Property.

2 hours ago, Gingola10 said:

I have a May '19 registered 1.5 SEL DSG and my VIN no. is one of the ones flagged as part of a recall campaign although it doesn't specify for what. 

I've not had any kangarooing but there is a lack of power at low revs especially in D2 but other than that I'm very happy with the car. I'm just a bit concerned that given the diverse range of opinions on this thread there's a chance that an update might actually be detrimental and it won't be possible to undo it. 

I took my March 2019 registered 1.5 SEL Manual for a recall just over a week ago. It concerned potential cracking of the front passenger seat frame and I was notified by post. On arrival I asked the service manager if there was a software update available for my car. I was told 'No' and he also said that if there was, I would have been informed by post, as in the seat recall.

The technician examined my seat frame, passed the documentation over to the service manager, who told me that the seat frame was fine, but the technician had discovered a software update for my car!! When I asked for info I was told it was to 'eliminate jerkiness'. Fortunately, my car has never suffered from the dreaded kangarooing, but on occasion, when approaching a roundabout or traffic lights and changing down and then finding I could proceed, when in second gear and applying the accelerator, I would find no response. A swift change down into 1st gear always solved the problem

Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and the software update was duly installed. Early days yet, but what I have found so far, is that try as I might to replicate it, the 'power fade' in second gear has disappeared, '2 cylinder mode' appears much more frequently than it did and the engine revs appear to have dropped when starting from cold. Too early to comment on any change in fuel consumption as yet.

I had concerns that the update could create more problems than it solved, but currently  I feel that the Karoq is an improved car. 

The only downside is the misinformation from the dealer which could explain all the confusion written on here about 'is there is there not' a software update.

I know your car is DSG, but I hope this helps.

• Like 2

Unreal how people who work full time in Dealerships do not know what is a Safety Critical Recall, or a Recall Action or just Service Campaigns which is all they are doing with Software Updates.

Safety Critical is what engines dying or DSG's losing drive is though and the DVSA in the UK know that.

http://car-recalls.eu/make/SKODA

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

http://gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Somehow VW Group get the DVSA to believe the issue is just with manuals, they have it all in hand, yet agents for them in Dealerships are mumpties quite often.

Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 17.32.14.png

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gingola10 said:

After posting this I went to my local main dealer and asked what this recall involved. The service staff described it as an 'Alternator Update'. A software update that rectifies a lack of power and a potential to stall at low revs. Pretty much what Apprentice described in a previous post. 

I think I'm going to go ahead and have it done in the next month or so when I get time. I'll report back the results!?!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gingola10 said:

After posting this I went to my local main dealer and asked what this recall involved. The service staff described it as an 'Alternator Update'. A software update that rectifies a lack of power and a potential to stall at low revs. Pretty much what Apprentice described in a previous post. 

I think I'm going to go ahead and have it done in the next month or so when I get time. I'll report back the results!?!

I had the 24EV A-Engine control unit recall done on my May '19 reg Karoq SEL 1.5, & I still have a slight kangaroo (better than it was) & 2nd gear problems (the same as before). Since it was done I managed to find out that the build week of my car was week 14, commencing 1st April. I have been told it was the correct update.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Unreal how people who work full time in Dealerships do not know what is a Safety Critical Recall, or a Recall Action or just Service Campaigns which is all they are doing with Software Updates.

Safety Critical is what engines dying or DSG's losing drive is though and the DVSA in the UK know that.

http://car-recalls.eu/make/SKODA

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

http://gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Somehow VW Group get the DVSA to believe the issue is just with manuals, they have it all in hand, yet agents for them in Dealerships are mumpties quite often.

Screenshot 2019-10-21 at 17.32.14.png

Roottootemoot,

My experience precisely!

I find it difficult to understand, reading replies to this thread , the variety of different responses from dealers, as to the reasoning for the update. 'Alternator Update', 'Removing Jerkiness'...or as in my case, no real explanation at all, however much I pressed. If it was not for the technician who carried out my passenger seat recall inspection, I would not have been offered the update at all. The service manager told me there was not a software update for my car, immediately prior to my passenger seat inspection.

I count myself lucky however, that I was pleased with my car pre-update and since the elimination of my second gear problem after the update, even more so!

• Like 1

Decided to put the Karoq in for the 24EU update and having driven 80 miles to get home from the local dealer so far so good the engine is running smoother at lower revs in 2nd and 3rd than previously although the Q2 update in April did remove the hesitation issue.

The weather here is due to get a lot colder overnight with a light frost possible so will see how it drives tomorrow morning plus it will be interesting to see if the mpg gets slightly worse or maybe even better :wondering:

Edited by Apprentice
typo
  • Like 3

I am not sure how relevant this is.

My car is a 1.5 SEL Manual, MY 19 build, built on 03-09-2018.

It originally suffered the 2nd gear hesitation but not the 1st gear kangarooing. The hesitation software update was installed a few months back and  has cured the problem.

Yesterday the car travelled 150 miles to the coast with five adults on board plus a large dog, so was a fully loaded test.

The journey was event free and one of the adults commented frequently on how quiet and smooth was the drive, he is more used to a diesel car so that would explain his comment re the noise but it did surprise me to hear him say " smooth".

• Like 2

@Apprentice

Remember that in the last week or so the filling station you get your fuel at should have had Winter formulation petrol delivered if they have had their tanks filled.

My cars always like Winter Fuel. 

Be that Unleaded / Super Unleaded. (Or my Diesel in this past week, much improved economy with the last tank of fuel, and then the refill i did today.)

No frost this morning but light snow on the mountains and hills with sleet and rain showers, the outside temp was around 3C. Started the Karoq and moved off after doing the usual checks with no throttle problems at all, no slight k'rooing and no hesitation, the 24EU update/recall seems to have improved the overall running of the engine even when compared to how it was after the Q2 hesitation fix.

Fuel consumption on a 46 round trip to the local supermarket was 45mpg and a previous round trip of 6 miles the day before gave a reading of 37 mpg, never heard anything from the workshop about a 600 mile run in for the ECU to get re-educated, mind you they never mentioned it with the Q2 update either, if I remember correctly that came from Skoda UK.

• Like 2

I had to chase after reading about the issue on this forum and experiencing power loss and kangarooing.

Have to say that Bristol Street Skoda Derby (part of Vertu group) couldn't have given a ****, it took a threat to demand a refund before they did anything and then no follow-up to see how things were going. Proper spivs.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Scruffy said:

A quick show of hands please.

Who has had the recall/fix done after Skoda had contacted them ( dealer or otherwise), or who had to chase them up?

No notification received by me. In fact, I was told there was no update for my car by service manager, when I took it in for a seat inspection. Immediately afterwards I was told there was by the technician who examined my car. It has been carried out and I'm pleased with the result

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scruffy said:

A quick show of hands please.

Who has had the recall/fix done after Skoda had contacted them ( dealer or otherwise), or who had to chase them up?

When I visited my local dealer to ask about the new update they said that Skoda didn't contact people directly because they expected most people would have their servicing done at a main dealer anyway (ie, the two free services on PCP) so one way or another most cars would be updated during their scheduled service whether it be now or some point in the future! 

• Like 1

@Gingola10

Which is why the term 'Recall or Recall Action' should not ne used by them, 

and with Variable / Flexible servicing that can be 2 years before a car is in and during that 2 years the Service Desk staff, Sales Staff or even the Wokshop Manager and Skoda Customer Services are telling owners there is no Service Campaign / recall action or what ever.

People can even have traded a car in to a 'not Skoda / VW Main Dealership' and lost money as some on here and others not on Social Media have done.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 2