2010 Superb estate “restoration”

So I brought an estate to replace my wife’s aging Golf and wanted one that my two young boys could grow into. After looking at some of the options within our price range I decided on a nice Superb.

The car had one previous with a full history and an exceptional interior (with a minor blemish on the gear stick surround).

The exterior has a few issues but nothing that wasn’t to be expected from a car of its age and mileage.

There’s been some body work done on the near side rear quarter and front off side wing as far as I can tell but the quality of work looks good other than a little over spray and lack of effort in parts alignment.

The paint work needs some detailing but as it’s the wife’s car I’m not going to worry too much about the odd chip here and there, the main job will be a proper clean which the car has never had.

The wheels have just been restored with Pirellis wrapping them up.

Im about to put new discs and pads all round (is there anything out of the ordinary to think of with this job?)

Im looking forward to getting to know the car and you guys better. 

Cheers,

Chris.

68023406-1AFF-4472-A7A3-A47FA559FF0E.jpeg

Nice Superb mate!

As for the brakes, its a fairly easy job if you have done this before, its practicaly the same as on a Golf, only "special" tool you will need is a caliper wind back tool and a M14 triple square bit.

On 22/04/2019 at 18:17, Mcturk said:

Nice Superb mate!

As for the brakes, its a fairly easy job if you have done this before, its practicaly the same as on a Golf, only "special" tool you will need is a caliper wind back tool and a M14 triple square bit.

And probably a breaker bar for the bolts attaching the caliper to the bracket. One trick that worked for me on the fronts last time I did them was use the trolley jack to push the end of the ratchet to undo those bolts - I couldn't get the reach on the passenger side with the breaker bar.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately I came unstuck at the first hurdle. The wheels got refurbished as part of the sale, unfortunately the numpties that put the wheels back on didn’t torque the locking nuts on and wound them too tight with a windy gun. Now the locking key is damaged and I can’t get the purchase on the key to remove the bolts. So I’ll try taking it to a garage to see if the can get them off with a gun (I did manage to remove one with an impact driver).:notme:

30 minutes ago, Chris300 said:

Unfortunately I came unstuck at the first hurdle. The wheels got refurbished as part of the sale, unfortunately the numpties that put the wheels back on didn’t torque the locking nuts on and wound them too tight with a windy gun. Now the locking key is damaged and I can’t get the purchase on the key to remove the bolts.

Try using a Dremmel to make the key faces more vertical and you might get a second chance without having to purchase another one. :thumbup:

On 26/04/2019 at 07:55, superbdreams said:

worth buying a spare now though, look for a letter stamp on the back of the key socket

To be honest I’m going to ditch the locking nuts. They’re a PITA, either I’ll lose the key or numpties do them up to tight you can’t get them off when you need to. Who’s going to want to pinch a set of 17” standard rims from a Skoda. And the letter stamp is “F”, might see how much a new key from Skoda is thought. Thanks for the advice! :thumbup:

Edited by Chris300

20 hours ago, Chris300 said:

To be honest I’m going to ditch the locking nuts. They’re a PITA, either I’ll lose the key or numpties do them up to tight you can’t get them off when you need to. Who’s going to want to pinch a set of 17” standard rims from a Skoda. And the letter stamp is “F”, might see how much a new key from Skoda is thought. Thanks for the advice! :thumbup:

£20 from an auction site

I have a new one for my use and the old one for tyre fitters to damage :D 

• 4 weeks later...

Took the car to Skoda to see if they could get the two locking wheel nuts off with a spare nut but they had no joy. Looks like I’m going to have to get them smashed off now. 😖

On a more positive note I had a day to properly clean the car today. Looks like it had never had a good clean in all its days. I started off by removing a lot of tar, then the clay bar came out, followed by a polish and wax. She cleaned up as well as I could have asked for apart from the chrome. The roof bars are ok but the chrome around the windows still look a little milky. I’ve attached a few before and after picture. Any recommendations on chrome polish would be welcome. These results were from Autosol.

DCBE039E-402E-4880-9D74-1B8B14DA2A02.jpeg

DB1A4B49-0F09-46BE-88C5-ADE93BF59CE0.jpeg

A10AC3BC-BB64-4823-AC2E-D60B7F913BA5.jpeg

4889F7CC-B11C-48C9-B7C2-D08464A3FFD8.jpeg

Edited by Chris300

Hey Chris. Thanks for posting this. I'm following your thread.

After owning 4 xS1 and S2 Octavias I've moved onto a Superb 2 Greenline. These cars are ridiculous Value for Money (in a good way).

Anyway. Your car is looking great from what I can see. Mine needs a good wash, clay and detail also. I've done a wash and polish so far, but need to set aside a whole day or more to go the whole hog.

My wheels are scuffed to hell, so they need some help...

Regarding your rear window sourrounds you're not alone.. I thought I was doing something wrong until I read your thread and read this one too..

Question: What is yours like around the rear numberplate light area? Mine has some surface rust which I.m not happy about. Many other Superb owners have suffered the same.

None of my Octavias suffered from Tailgate rust , so what's that all about?

Looking forward to your updates & might post some pics of mine once it's cleaner and given so TLC..

Cheers.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the link to the other posts, very interesting. I’ve a few other techniques I want to try before I start paying out to replace the unit.

With regards to wrapping to trim, that would be a very reasonable and effective solution. The worries some people have that the vinyl wouldn’t stick are ill informed. The only issue you might have would be that once the vinyl is fitted it might shrink around the edge as there’s nowhere to tuck the edges. Shrinkage would be minimal (less than 1mm each side) but if you went for a colour change the edge would be very obvious.

Also from my experience “chrome” vinyls aren’t very flexible and may be a little tricky for a DIYer to lay properly.