Basically it’s the better parts/ same parts better build quality myth that means they can charge almost twice as much for a much lower spec (in terms of options) car.

back on top, I found fords to be much more reliable that anything modern and VW group.

On 01/05/2019 at 23:08, cheezemonkhai said:

Most of the engines come from

Cz bar probably the high end Sports models.

Some of the Audi RS engines are built in Hungary...

Interesting video on the web where a guy in Colorado is a Tesla approved body repair shop states that the bigger more expensive Tesla's such as the S and X models are very poorly assembled considering the purchase cost and the panel gaps are huge in his opinion. Although the Model 3 is better built he states than previous Tesla's any Audi is much better assembled comparing similar priced vehicles. It is the production line quality control process where Tesla need to improve as he believes they have sacrificed quality control for quantity. Small bump on a Tesla 3 model resulted in a $6,200 insurance claim and a 1 month wait for parts/repair.:nod:

• 2 weeks later...

The original ones were not really at the mass manufacturer point. However comparing any ICE car vs an all electric at the same price point is a bit of a joke.

Comparing the badly named etron on range, equipment, build and price would be more realistic.

On 03/05/2019 at 11:24, shyVRS245 said:

Interesting video on the web where a guy in Colorado is a Tesla approved body repair shop states that the bigger more expensive Tesla's such as the S and X models are very poorly assembled considering the purchase cost and the panel gaps are huge in his opinion. Although the Model 3 is better built he states than previous Tesla's any Audi is much better assembled comparing similar priced vehicles. It is the production line quality control process where Tesla need to improve as he believes they have sacrificed quality control for quantity. Small bump on a Tesla 3 model resulted in a $6,200 insurance claim and a 1 month wait for parts/repair.:nod:

It is true that the Model 3 is a bit better assembled. But still it is a bit cheaper too. And compared to the model x or s it is a much cheaper car. I have driven them all. 

A model 3 performance feels really good. Makes all the cars I have previously owned feel like they are 20 years old. And the performance is just something else. Even a Model X P100 is really wild. 

Quality concerns in this thread like wheel bearings is just down to construction of the car. Everything needs to take as little space as possible and the bearings are not designed to last forever. Too short distance between the parts of the bearings that take the load.. And everything has to be cheap for the manufacturer too. They could produce cars that last longer. But people just wouldn’t buy them. Would be too expensive. And it is not a Skoda issue. All manufacturers have some issues with stuff like this. In Norway the VAG-company has most issues with rust. And they never seem to fix that issue. 

My rs230 pre fl Dsg was without any faults for 36000km. A good car. 

• Like 1

The Tesla repair guy in Colorado has to pull the cars apart before a final estimate is given to the insurance company and sometimes find secondary damage under the obvious stuff. One customer who bought a top of the range model costing $160,000 faced a bill of $50,000 for repairs which probably explains the high cost to insure any Tesla model, worth considering when ordering even the Model 3. Yes to confirm he noticed smaller panel gaps on the 3 compared to earlier S and X models even though they are more expensive. All Tesla are very heavy due to the large battery packs they have to carry to give industry leading range.:nod:

12 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

The Tesla repair guy in Colorado has to pull the cars apart before a final estimate is given to the insurance company and sometimes find secondary damage under the obvious stuff. One customer who bought a top of the range model costing $160,000 faced a bill of $50,000 for repairs which probably explains the high cost to insure any Tesla model, worth considering when ordering even the Model 3. Yes to confirm he noticed smaller panel gaps on the 3 compared to earlier S and X models even though they are more expensive. All Tesla are very heavy due to the large battery packs they have to carry to give industry leading range.:nod:

True most of it. But still faster than most cars.  Model SP100d 0-60 2,4 sec. Just wild. But the price is too. 😂😂

Random musings....

Wife's golf (which assume uses the same bearing as the octy) needed 3 new wheel bearings  in the first 30k, then none in the next 120k.

Something must have been up with the supply.

10 hours ago, abaxas said:

Random musings....

Wife's golf (which assume uses the same bearing as the octy) needed 3 new wheel bearings  in the first 30k, then none in the next 120k.

Something must have been up with the supply.

Yeah there's the problem no QC,now extend that to shocks and brake calipers at the same time excuse my lack of confidence.

On 27/04/2019 at 12:55, J.R. said:

Looks like I hit the sweet spot moving from a MK1 to a MK2, I am very very doubtfull that it will be as reliable as the MK1 that I took to 325000 miles without any problems to speak of (I did replace on rumbling wheel bearing), so far it looks like the weak spot will be the plethora of capricious electronic systems. Its got some nice toys but none of them worth the grief that they might bring, if it remains reliable then fine, win-win, if it doesn't I would not hesitate to return to a MK1 if I could find a good enough example, I do miss it as a drivers car.

No way would I consider a MK3 from what I have read on here, there is no single widget that appeals to me, my priorities for a car are not Bluetooth and whether I can sync an i-phone whatever that means, and from all accounts in terms of quality feel NVH and reliability they are not worthy of the Skoda name or Octavia model name.

Whilst the MkIII isn't perfect,  you tend only to hear from those who have unfortu lately experienced a problem. I wouldn't brag too much about the MkII reliability. I had one for 7 years and whilst it was for me,  a giant-killing car in terms of performance:cost with a fantastic engine, it drank oil, consistently exhibited

( falsely)  signs of a broken head gasket every Winter/Spring, despite a daily commute of 10 miles on flowin A roads, annoyingly caused me to pay out on several very expensive faults, including replacing the ABS sensor ring in the wheel hub,  G60 module and an  Air Con compressor. On the plus side  It was more solidly built although it creaked slightly around the air vents in winter. 

Still early days for me with the MK2, less than 9 months but for a 120K miler 12 year old vehicle its been reliable so far, I cant believe that it will do as well as the MK1 as I'm starting with it 9 years older than the MK1 albeit with 60K miles less.

Already I have replaced the G60, the compressor control valve (twice) and finally the aircon compressor but that was an existing fault and I was going through the cheaper options first, have done other preventative maintenance works as well, discs, pads, bump stops, brake backplates, rear springs etc etc.

Already its well apparent that electronics are its achilles heel, my fear of the MK3 is that it is even more complex and compliacted with far more can bus control modules for things which for me personally are unnecessary gimmicks, plus of course each incermental emissions rating, EU3,4,5,6 etc brings more complication and unreliability.

The Japanese manufacturers just got caught out with their Brake Suppliers & Air Bag suppliers and had to do the millions of recalls.

VW Group have the Airbag issue sitting there, other issues as well, eg timing chains, they just somehow don't do the recalls, 

& when the do a World Wide / Global recall like in 2012 with the DQ200 DSG's  & they extend the warranties it is just a Service Campaign in Europe, 

(Europe not being part of Worldwide /Global if your Management Board are German based..)

and stuff you if your DSG going wrong out of the 2 or 3 year warranty.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

Only crap yourself if the biggest or 2nd biggest manufacturer and 'caught red handed cheating' in Countries that will tear you a new one, 

in Europe do what you want if you are VW.

Edited by Skoffski

29 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

The Japanese manufacturers just got caught out with their Brake Suppliers & Air Bag suppliers and had to do the millions of recalls.

Not forgetting the acceleration problem the most reliable manufacturer in the world experienced. For many years people complained about their Toyotas ( as well as Lexus ) suddendly accelerating for no reason, all of which was initially denied by the manufacturer. Apart from having to rectify the problem and pay out for accidents etc, Toyota were also fined $1.2billion for trying to cover up a known problem.

But according to some, it's only VAG who experience unreliability and engage in scandal.

1 hour ago, Golfmk56 said:

Not forgetting the acceleration problem the most reliable manufacturer in the world experienced. For many years people complained about their Toyotas ( as well as Lexus ) suddendly accelerating for no reason, all of which was initially denied by the manufacturer. Apart from having to rectify the problem and pay out for accidents etc, Toyota were also fined $1.2billion for trying to cover up a known problem.

But according to some, it's only VAG who experience unreliability and engage in scandal.

Not forgetting the Mitsubishi fiasco, the more recent Subaru issues, and the fact that most (all?) the Japanese manufacturers were found to be cheating their local consumption tests despite the fact they were the most lenient in the world. I'm sure there are more but cannot be bothered to even Google them.

1 hour ago, Gerrycan said:

Not forgetting the Mitsubishi fiasco, the more recent Subaru issues, and the fact that most (all?) the Japanese manufacturers were found to be cheating their local consumption tests despite the fact they were the most lenient in the world. I'm sure there are more but cannot be bothered to even Google them.

As we all know the Outlander PHEV really does 150mpg like the adverts say.:D

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

As we all know the Outlander PHEV really does 150mpg like the adverts say.:D

Within the context of the NEDC test the 150mpg claim is probably reasonably  accurate.

I'd love to own one and find out if some of my theories regarding their strengths and weaknesses are right or not.

One thing for sure is that a longer journey (beyond nominal battery range) needs a certain amount of planning to get the best overall consumption. 

Just jumping in and using up the battery capacity and then switching over to petrol engine (which most journalists seem to do) seems the worst possible way of running them.

43 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Within the context of the NEDC test the 150mpg claim is probably reasonably  accurate.

I'd love to own one and find out if some of my theories regarding their strengths and weaknesses are right or not.

One thing for sure is that a longer journey (beyond nominal battery range) needs a certain amount of planning to get the best overall consumption. 

Just jumping in and using up the battery capacity and then switching over to petrol engine (which most journalists seem to do) seems the worst possible way of running them.

Friend bought one as a company car and when the battery depleted said it did 40mpg.;)

37 minutes ago, 181ce said:

What is the point of hybrids ?

Explain please.

Tax dodge,full stop.

Hybrids (Toyota) are now the mainstay of the taxi industry in Australia. There are no tax benefits here for driving a hybrid, they are chosen as they are much more economical than a pure ICE vehicle in the urban environment and they happen to be very reliable as well with some running up telephone numbers on the odometer with few if any issues.

I will admit that the very mild 48volt systems being offered by VW with a mere 0.3L/100 improvement on WLTP tests seem pathetic.

Edited by Gerrycan
comma needed
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Friend bought one as a company car and when the battery depleted said it did 40mpg.;)

Actually I am surprised it did as well as 40mpg with a flat battery. 

I'd suggest your friend was attracted to the tax benefits mentioned by 181ce and just drove it 'like a journalist' without really much thought of using the various modes to advantage.