Upgrade standard style suspension? Too bouncy..

Thanks a lot for those measurements :thumbup:  I need to compare them with mine and see where I'd like to be ideally.

Looks like the back is 5-10mm higher from those pics but I think I notice this even on the stock setup.

53 minutes ago, Esseesse200 said:

Good work mate you won’t be disappointed. The handling is stunning now for a big estate 

Have you had any speed ramp issues or similar since?

I'm also looking at powerflex ARB bushes in the hope that they might cure the creaking suspension over speed ramps etc. I just need to figure out what size, 2 options for the front and 3 for the rear

Measured my stock Sportline today: Center to fender is 390mm (took several measurements). That means that as I was fearing, H&R live to up to their reputation and drop at least 10mm more than advertised (exactly what I didn't want). Given the 345-350mm values measured on the lowered car here, we are talking a further 40mm (let's say 35mm accounting for slight inaccuracies during both our measurements) drop from a Sportline DCC, or a 45mm drop from a stock Superb (officially quoted 35mm).

For what I want to achieve: a mild drop that would halve the current arch gap but not nearly eliminate it, I would rather go for the Eibachs that quote 30mm and have a "milder" reputation. On the other hand, for whoever is after the most drop (car does clearly look lowered!) the H&R are the way to go.

Preferences aside, thanks for providing that info and pics @Esseesse200. Helps us all make a more informed decision.

UPDATE: It's in fact much closer to 380mm as seen in the post and photo below, disregard the 390mm value.

Edited by newbie69

Interesting @newbie69... Was going to ask so I could compare to my non-DCC estate. Im measuring 375mm front / 370mm rear. I thought that the non-DCC sportline was about 5mm lower than the DCC but thats a big difference!

39 minutes ago, ewlmr said:

Interesting @newbie69... Was going to ask so I could compare to my non-DCC estate. Im measuring 375mm front / 370mm rear. I thought that the non-DCC sportline was about 5mm lower than the DCC but thats a big difference!

Assuming I mis-placed the tape slightly you can (at best) go with 385mm front 380mm rear for a DCC Sportline but not lower than that I am 100% positive.  But I will repeat it today with a friend just to be able to take some photos also.

That's a 10mm difference from the the non-DCC, when in fact we knew it should only be 5mm between them (maybe you mis-placed it slightly too?)

In any case, the photos posted in this thread are quite clear. There could be max 5mm deviation and wouldn't change the fact that H&R seem to drop more than advertised (not a surprise to me personally).

So I repeated this today using some sticky tape to secure the end of the tape on the centre of the wheel, and a friend to take the photo and yes, stock DCC Sportline actually sits a bit lower than the 390mm I measured yesterday: Bang on 380mm (maybe 1-2mm off centre if you wanted to be extra picky) which is exactly 5mm higher from a non-DCC Sportline as @ewlmr confirmed :thumbup:

Still, compared to the H&R measurement of 340mm that's a further 40mm drop from a Sportline, meaning a 50mm drop from stock while they're being advertised as 35mm :o

IMG_20190516_124639.jpg

1 hour ago, Markbro said:

Could the discrepancy in the rear measurements be down to quantity of fuel in the tank?

That sounds reasonable, as well as the fact the estate's rear is heavier than the sedan so maybe the rear should not really be taken into account when comparing both estates and hatches as there can be a few factors that affect the height which are not present on the front.

Edited by newbie69

Because I got curious... Stock Hatch DCC Made 2018 (Nov) last used in comfort mode. On level concrete. The top was precisely aligned with the apex of the wheel arch, camera is at the height of the axle, so it looks off but isn't (at the top)

Front - 373 mm

Front.thumb.jpg.497ad24e6be9a78ef8315a6904d002ed.jpg

Rear - 357 mm

Rear.thumb.jpg.cb746c0d84fb1c29118c6f71098f6ee0.jpg

Edited by digifish

4 minutes ago, digifish said:

Because I got curious... Stock Hatch DCC Made 2018 (Nov) last used in comfort mode. On level concrete.

Front - 373 mm

Rear - 357 mm

L&K 373mm front?? How could that be possible? Also the rear is way too low, are you carrying anything in the boot?

6 minutes ago, JR RS said:

Mine (non-Sportline with DCC) is:

Front - 380mm
Rear - 370mm

Half a tank of fuel, 19" tyres.

You are at Sportline DCC height already :D  why bother?  Seriously these numbers we're all seeing are all over the place, not sure it's even worth comparing anything between two non-identical cars...

11 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

L&K 373mm front?? How could that be possible? Also the rear is way too low, are you carrying anything in the boot?

Full tank of fuel. A space-saver spare tyre and about 4 KG of sound deadening.

Mine is Australian Spec Delivery. There could be differences here also? Springs?

Although I am within 7 mm front and 13 mm rear of  JR RS, so looks very similar. 30 kG of extra fuel would do that.

Edited by digifish

45 minutes ago, digifish said:

Full tank of fuel. A space-saver spare tyre and about 4 KG of sound deadening.

Mine is Australian Spec Delivery. There could be differences here also? Springs?

Although I am within 7 mm front and 13 mm rear of  JR RS, so looks very similar. 30 kG of extra fuel would do that.

I don't know. Mine above is with 90% fuel too so we can rule out the fuel (between our own measurements). You then have an extra of  ~30-35kg (spare wheel + sound deadening) but you also sit 10mm higher than Sportline DCC. So in reality it would mean that 30-35kg at the rear bring down the front 17mm! which to me sounds excessive so I'm giving up :D

Pretty sure all DCC equipped cars (doesn't matter if its Sportline or L&K) have exactly the the same setup/ride height.

The ride height numbers I found somewhere on here before I ordered are:

Normal ride height: 149 mm (+/-20 mm)
DCC ride height: 139 mm (+/-20 mm)
Sport suspension ride height: 134 mm (+/-20 mm)

But I have no idea where or how these are measured...

The +/-20mm is a pretty generous tolerance so might explain the difference :)

21 minutes ago, ewlmr said:

Probably the same tolerance H&R are working with😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ewlmr said:

Pretty sure all DCC equipped cars (doesn't matter if its Sportline or L&K) have exactly the the same setup/ride height.

The ride height numbers I found somewhere on here before I ordered are:

Normal ride height: 149 mm (+/-20 mm)
DCC ride height: 139 mm (+/-20 mm)
Sport suspension ride height: 134 mm (+/-20 mm)

But I have no idea where or how these are measured...

This is not true. Skoda officially quote the Sportline as 15mm lower (dropping to 10mm for the DCC). It's not some internet rumour, it's in the official technical information. If what you assumed was true the Sportline DCC should have risen back to L&K height, which is not. The fact that we've seen L&K DCC measured at the same height as Sportline DCC by owners is just a matter of circumstances rather than being on the same setup. Besides, we've seen L&K's measured even lower when more loaded so all that comparison we're doing here by measuring our own cars seems more or less pointless.

An easy way to cross-check this would be to compare part numbers of L&K DCC springs vs Sportline DCC springs. I bet they will be different (and shorter). Otherwise Skoda is BS-ing us all...

image.thumb.png.a82015570ae9e6cf29bea17c41269d2c.png

5 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

This is not true. Skoda officially quote the Sportline as 15mm lower (dropping to 10mm for the DCC). It's not some internet rumour, it's in the official technical information. If what you assumed was true the Sportline DCC should have risen back to L&K height, which is not. The fact that we've seen L&K DCC measured at the same height as Sportline DCC by owners is just a matter of circumstances rather than being on the same setup. Besides, we've seen L&K's measured even lower when more loaded so all that comparison we're doing here by measuring our own cars seems more or less pointless.

An easy way to cross-check this would be to compare part numbers of L&K DCC springs vs Sportline DCC springs. I bet they will be different (and shorter). Otherwise Skoda is BS-ing us all...

Thats not how it was explained to me by my dealer. What I was told is that the standard Sportline has the Sportchassis (So it is 15mm lower than std) but if you spec the DCC it is only 10mm lower since its the same setup as all other DCC equipped cars. The L&K comes standard with DCC so is 10mm lower than a std non-DCC Superb.

The options pricelist seems to back that up. But as you said the only way to know for sure we be to check part numbers.

1402793774_Screenshot2019-05-1617_02_29.thumb.png.6604c2090dcbf3b5c36ff566a91a81bb.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ewlmr said:

Thats not how it was explained to me by my dealer. What I was told is that the standard Sportline has the Sportchassis (So it is 15mm lower than std) but if you spec the DCC it is only 10mm lower since its the same setup as all other DCC equipped cars. The L&K comes standard with DCC so is 10mm lower than a std non-DCC Superb.

The options pricelist seems to back that up. But as you said the only way to know for sure we be to check part numbers.

1402793774_Screenshot2019-05-1617_02_29.thumb.png.6604c2090dcbf3b5c36ff566a91a81bb.png

Apologies. End of the working day and not thinking very clearly. You must be right regarding the height. All DCC cars should be at the same height L&K or Sportline (Another plus of opting for DCC on standard cars as you drop 10mm).

I was thinking along the lines of the Sportline DCC handling better than the L&K DCC (a conclusion confirmed by reports in this forum) but that is down to different DCC setup (dampening algorithm), not lower springs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ewlmr said:

What I was told is that the standard Sportline has the Sportchassis (So it is 15mm lower than std) but if you spec the DCC it is only 10mm lower since its the same setup as all other DCC equipped cars. The L&K comes standard with DCC so is 10mm lower than a std non-DCC Superb.

+1

that's how it was explained to me here too.

u either have:-

1. Standard suspension (std shocks + std springs)

2. Sports suspension (with sports springs)

3. DCC suspension (dcc shocks)

non-Sportlines will have #1 as the default, unless specc'ed up (based on market or user preference) to DCC.

Sportlines will have #2 as the default, unless specc'ed up (based on market or user preference) to DCC.

L&K will have #3 as default

someone jump on EKTA online and compare the suspension part numbers!!!

lol

Edited by JR RS

50 minutes ago, Swervin_Mervin said:

I'm going to measure our Sportline 272 this weekend and report back, just to mess this up even more!  

Don't come back with anything other than 380mm on the front or else... :D