Columbus will not update!

I cannot get my 2016 Superb L&K's Columbus navigation to update.

I have managed it in the past but the 2019 update fails every time. Is it me, the car, my laptop or the Skoda portal at fault?

I download a 25GB zipped file and then extract it. I send the extracted file (now 28GB) to the SD Card and insert the card into the SD1 slot in the glovebox.

I then switch on the ignition, then the unit, go to version and select update. It shows a searching for updates message on the screen but after around 40 seconds says no data found.

What is going wrong?

I have done this before without any problems. I have formatted the card before transfer.

Getting frustrated with this!!

Please help!

I had exactly the same problems with the 2019 update. It failed numerous times during download and the first time it got to 25Gb it still didn't work (with exactly the same message as you describe). I'm afraid that the only way I fixed it was to keep doing the download until it worked - frustrating I know!

If it's any consolation the 2019/20 update worked flawlessly first time. 

2 hours ago, grahamcbastin said:

but the 2019 update fails every time.

current

On 29/05/2019 at 09:29, MartiniB said:

ECE 2019-2020 25Gb
#--Publicized: 2019.--.--
Files inside: 2018.12.03
Version: V03.959.803.TF 0177 ECE 2019
#--http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/P177_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z
Publicized: 2019.05.26
http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P177_EU_201920.zip

Stop Press!! I have just successfully updated my Superb's Columbus Navigation Unit with the latest 2019-20 update.

It has taken me about 12 attempts!

In the end I used a different SD Card but even this one needed 3 or 4 attempts.

Anyone else who's having a similar problem, I can now offer you the following advice:-

1. Keep trying! Delete the failing download and make a fresh download each time. Format the SD Card each time as well.

2. After you have downloaded the 25GB Zipped File, extract it. Then open the extracted file - you will have three files: MIB1, MIB2 and a notepad file. 

3. Send these three files separately to your SD Card. This worked for me. I don't think the car has the sense to open the 28GB extracted file, so you do it to help it along!

Hope this helps someone!

It eventually worked for me!

Now have to update my Golf's nav unit!! 🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It does waste a lot of time. And the battery will benefit from a charge afterwards.

It took me at least 10 attempts but when it eventually works, it is very satisfying!

I am now trying to update my Golf's Discover Pro navigation, which is the same as the Columbus but with a different front panel. And guess what?! Same error message. So now about to make my second attempt! Hopeless isn't it?!!

My Golf's Discover Pro is now updating on my second attempt. What did I do different to the first attempt? Instead of having just the one extracted 27GB file on the SD Card, I sent the files contained in the extracted file separately. So the card had MIB1, MIB2 and - in the case of VW - two very small notepad files. The SD Card containing just these 4 files was inserted in SD Card slot number 1, then switch on the ignition, then the unit, then call up Navigation, choose version and then select Update. After 20 long seconds it then recognises the update and starts uploading from the card. Usually takes 45 minutes. Interstingly, the Skoda update was much newer than the VW one. Skoda already has the 2020 update available. VW still only has last year's update available, so will be out-of-date fairly soon and it will all start again!!

• 4 weeks later...

Eventually managed to update the maps.  I did the download whilst at work as their internet speed was faster, whereas mine was about 17mbps and keeps dropping out.  Once the files were uncompressed on to the SD card just bunged the card in the car with all the files on it and BINGO!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

having done these updates many times the best way is via USB. Whenever I have tried via the SD card route it is hit and miss USB is always 100%

John

• Thanks 1

Hi.

Maybe i'm lucky but mine worked first time.  Updated from 2016 to 2019/2020 maps.

Step by step

1.  Insert 32GB SD card into card reader on computer not a USB card reader

2.  Formatted card using windows format (right click on the drive in explorer view, select format, quick format, confirm yes.  Takes a few seconds)

3.  Downloaded the map zip file.  Took about 2 and a half hours

4.  Extracted the zip file direct to the SD card.  Took a while, maybe an hour

5.  Engine off, inserted card into slot one in the glove box

6.  Started engine and left running (switching of Stop / Start)

7.  Switch on unit and navigate to software update, press update button

8.  Took a while to start, progress bar appeared and SLOWLY crept up from 0 -100%  Each % took about 30 seconds

9.  Got a message saying software updated, press OK

10.  All POI and saved addresses still there

Like I said worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2019 at 23:20, Bap33 said:

Thanks for sharing. I should try this soon.

Does anyone know if this 2019/2020 map also suits to a 2018 O3 Amundsen ?

Thanks.

The maps for the Amundsen and Columbus are not the same. You need the correct maps for the correct unit.

I've just updated mine using advice from grahamcbastin and it worked first time with no problems, so I'm up to date now.  I downloaded the files and transferred them to my SD card yesterday as I was going to Bridgend today and had plenty of time during the journey to download the files onto Columbus.  By the time time I reached the end of the A465 near Neath and turned onto the M4 for Bridgend, it was complete, so it took about 45 minutes.

I'd upload it by setting it to start the update when you have the SD card ready and you start the engine and it'll restart the update when you restart the engine if your journey isn't long enough.  I did it today as I knew I'd make a long journey and it'd finish the update before I reached my destination.  I could then check it was OK and I could try again another day if it wasn't successful.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about to update my Columbus on my 2016 1.4tsi DSG ACT. Can I do the update at home with the engine not running but with the ignition on AND with my intelligent a battery charger connected?

Or does it only update with the engine running. 

I don't do many 45 minute journeys.

Retiredbri 

Hi. I didn't need to have my engine running. I just had the ignition on while it downloaded from the SD card. The ignition stays on for quite a long time before battery save cuts in. If this happens just switch on ignition again and it resumes where it left off.

18 minutes ago, k.young said:

Lads, I hear talk of "extracting" the zipped file..............how is this done??   (I'm a computer numpty)

It's different (AIUI) between Windows and Mac. In Windows 10 from  memory you need to highlight the zipped file, right click and choose  the option "open with 7zip" (or something like that). It will ask you where you want to put it, then save two folders and one file. I save them to my PC then copy the two folders and the file to an SD card. The SD card is then used to update the car. 

9 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

It's different (AIUI) between Windows and Mac. In Windows 10 from  memory you need to highlight the zipped file, right click and choose  the option "open with 7zip" (or something like that). It will ask you where you want to put it, then save two folders and one file. I save them to my PC then copy the two folders and the file to an SD card. The SD card is then used to update the car. 

Yeah, when I click on the download theres an "Extract" option in the top menu.   So when the screen appears with breakdown of the 3 different files.......thats extracted and they need to be sent to the SD card??

18 hours ago, retiredbri said:

I'm about to update my Columbus on my 2016 1.4tsi DSG ACT. Can I do the update at home with the engine not running but with the ignition on AND with my intelligent a battery charger connected?

Or does it only update with the engine running. 

I don't do many 45 minute journeys.

Retiredbri 

You don't have to do a long journey. The update will pick up where it left off when you stopped.

• Like 1