Steering too light mk3

Hi, 

I ve been trying to fix this issue - went to 2 skoda dealees/services and they say it cant be fixed. Its bugging me to the point i m thinking of selling my car for something else.. 

The issue is with too light steering. I do not have adjustabke steering, but i m quite sure, soemthing could be done - reprogrammed/flashed. The service ks saying nothing can be done and its just the way it is.. 

PS: for the record. Just few days ago i ve driven octavia mk3 wiht adjustable steering. Even in comfort mode it s "harder" than the steering in my octy. 

Kindly asking for help.. Much appreciated.. 

You own a Mk3 Octavia, 2017, 2.0 TDI 4x4? Is there really a special edition for Slovenia without driving mode selection? :dry:

Steering assisrance level comes up on my VCDS settings when plugged into the vehicle (MK2) I have played with various ones and they all feel the same to me, there is also a disability setting (or some other word) and it sounds like yours may have been programmed for that.

Thanks.. I was just drving it after driving Vw polo 2018. Polos sreering gets harder after 40 and then again 60, 80.. You can feel the difference.

Mine just feels the same at 20, 80 or 120. You can imagine the feeling at high speeds....not pleseant. 

So if i buy vcds and set it there, shoud make a difference? As my official service says fheres no opt of altering anything... 

Edited by Accim85

7 minutes ago, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

Fit wider wheels? 

Im on 225/45/17..

I ll see if i can get anyone with vcds to check it out as It's not that cheap to buy (around 1.000 eur?) 

Thanks for suggestions

€1000!?

Really shouldn't be anywhere near that.

The Slovenian distributor does the unlimited VIN HEX-V2 for €550 http://www.vcds.si/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=222&category_id=42&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Even cheaper for the 3-VIN HEX-V2 elsewhere in Europe, for instance Italy has it for €250: https://shop.strato.de/epages/64059577.sf/it_IT/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64059577/Products/0010

That being said, I've not looked into steering curves on the MQB cars so it may no longer be possible to just change an adaption channel. For instance, on a MK2 FL Octavia, it could be changed by flashing a new 'steering curve' using ODIS or VCP but wasn't possible with VCDS.

This is definitely fixable, this is the setting you want to change:7e5e88be18e276f4c5f5520a0ef79ca1.jpg

It will change your throttle to a more linear acceleration pattern as well as make the steering a little ”harder”.

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:29, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

Fit wider wheels? 

I was thinking this as my 245 has mode selection of the steering but I hate the overly heavy setting when selecting SPORT steering so always use NORMAL setting for steering which means the wife can drive as well without any adjustment needed. Winter months I use 7.5J wheels with 225/40 tyres but now in summer use wider than standard 8.5J wheels with wider 235/35R19 tyres which adds a nice bit of weight to the steering (particularly useful at 283kph maximum on the Autobahn) and makes it feel like a Mini which is a compliment coming from me. Wider wheels and tyres should add weight to the steering and I run 2.7bar on the 19" wheels and 2.2bar on the 18" wheels.:nod:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake

10 hours ago, wRRM said:

This is definitely fixable, this is the setting you want to change:7e5e88be18e276f4c5f5520a0ef79ca1.jpg

It will change your throttle to a more linear acceleration pattern as well as make the steering a little ”harder”.

How would this affect the fact I've had ECU tunning done  (increased HP).

Could this be set by someone who does ECU tunning also / what eqquipment would I need.

On 08/07/2019 at 12:30, SkodaKing said:

you'll get used to it. Power steering is a wonderful thing.

Not if it works the way he described.

Power Steering assistance should reduce as the speed of the vehicle increases.

Overactive assistance at high speed wouldn't be nice at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As mentioned above there are a few selections in the cars modules...even if you do not have the "mode" button those parameters can be adjusted in the individual modules...the "mode" button just gives instant direct access to them.....there are a few under "steering assist"...but they may be under a different module..

The steering can be adjusted for 'more assist' for disabled drivers.

(and cars that have been adjusted in the UK for maybe a Motabiluty lease commonly go to auction without going back to the factory setting. 

the same thing happens where brake assist has been changed for more assist.)

Had exact same problem this summer.

I have Rs 220.Did do a wheelalignment the day before vacation. (Who did a very bad job) 

After that the steering got very very light, even if I had Sport mode on. Not comfortable on highway speeds. 

When reached my destination I did alignment again (in turkey) 

It got back to as it was again. The wheelalignment was totally of and that was what causing the light wheel. 

Check your alignment on any shop that got new digital equipment. Think thats your issue. 

Screenshot_20190814_111653_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by Tosun

8 hours ago, Tosun said:

Had exact same problem this summer.

I have Rs 220.Did do a wheelalignment the day before vacation. (Who did a very bad job) 

After that the steering got very very light, even if I had Sport mode on. Not comfortable on highway speeds. 

When reached my destination I did alignment again (in turkey) 

It got back to as it was again. The wheelalignment was totally of and that was what causing the light wheel. 

Check your alignment on any shop that got new digital equipment. Think thats your issue. 

Screenshot_20190814_111653_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Thanks for that info. My alignment was checked and should have been set the third time i complained of this at the service/dealer.  At least they said they ve've set it (but maybe it was not done ok). 

It was still the same. Felt a bit better but still not ok. 

Now when i changed the shocks, the same service did the alignment again after replacing and this might have been done better as the feel is much better if this could actually influence. Its still light for me but seems very close to normal i would say.. 

Roottootemoot, Tosun: thanks, i needo to find someone to do this also if it can be done (it was stated to me clearly that it cant at the dealers). 

Edited by Accim85

You replaced shocks, did alignment and it felt better.Then I bet it could get better.Find a place nesr you that are specialized on tires/wheel alignment. 

Many places does this but not many do it right 👍