Tyre Pressures

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Er, 3 of us have independently calculated that the process as described doesn't go past 95% by volume. Since O2 is denser, I'd expect the percentage of N2 to be lower than than the volume.

Your calculations assume the tyre contains regular air at the outset. I am saying it already has a high nitrogen content having been filled with nitrogen prior to the demo.

On 21/08/2019 at 12:14, OldBoyScout said:

Your calculations assume the tyre contains regular air at the outset. I am saying it already has a high nitrogen content having been filled with nitrogen prior to the demo.

His process works for a 98% N2 fill, in principle; it's just that it doesn't work out with his stated method and pressures. OK?

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

His process works for a 98% N2 fill, in principle; it's just that it doesn't work out with his stated method and pressures. OK?

Yes, I agree. I was quoting 98%, as that was the value shown on the nitrogen meter in the video.

I have found this topic quite stimulating, and would guess that many members who have actually taken part in the discussion would feel the same. It has gone a long way from where it started out, and I have learned how the TPMS works and a bit about nitrogen. We have had a bit of disagreement, which I hope we have now resolved, and a bit of humour. 

• Like 2

Just to close off the Nitrogen debacle 

1. Rightly or wrongly, dry gases are seen as more stable for tyres inflation 

2. Costco sell my prefered brand/size of tyres cheapest 

3. Costco ONLY Nitrogen fill their tyres.

Conclusion, my placebo has been massaged

When I commit to a high speed corner I don't wonder whether my tyres will do the job, I Fn KNOW they will, as proved by my continual fight with my Crew Protection opening the windows & pretensioning the seatbelts & I still haven't been in a bloody ditch yet.

Wherever or not it actually works, I have been given confidence in the tyres & car's capabilities.

@Biggriff sorry for the thread Jack but, no the O3 has no separate sensor it's all done by variances in ABS sensor readings.

• Haha 1

On 17/08/2019 at 16:20, Gerrycan said:

A quick google search says pressure variance is 0.19psi per degree Centigrade so very nearly 2psi per 10 degrees C.

I forgot to account for absolute versus relative pressures. I worked from 10 °C is about a 3% change in temperature, which will give a 3% change in pressure, which based on 32 psi relative pressure (WRONG!) would give a change of about 1 psi. Using absolute pressure instead gives about 1.5 psi per 10 °C, starting from 32 psi. Starting from 40 psi gives your 0.19 psi per °C. (32 psi chosen as having been mentioned previously in the thread.)

The only time I've had a TPMS warning was when there was a screw in the tyre, although the tyre had not gone down.

• Like 1