Remote Key Not Detected

After a short trip to the local town this morning I noticed that the car would not lock when using the remote. I was not overly concerned as the shop I needed was about 10 feet from the car and I was going to be just a couple of minutes. On getting back into the car the remote was not detected which meant I could not start the car. After my immediate panic subsided I locked and unlocked the car using the remote and all was well again. Does this mean the remote battery does not have sufficient power to be found by the car? I do see the brief red flash when I use it so I don't think it can be that. Has not happened since. Do I need to look further for a reason? R-

I'd try swapping the battery and see how you get on, cheap thing to do. It's a cr2025 a dealer might just swap it for free if you're nearby. I keep a spare in the car, but then I'm paranoid. 

Just so you know, if the battery is dead you can start the car by pushing the start button with the key. Iirc it has an nfc antenna in, is in the manual somewhere. If the car won't unlock, there is a key barrel under the plastic on the handle towards the rear. You put the key in the gap underneath and gently lever it off. 

Just to add, both keys on mine stopped unlocking the car at the same time, the cars supposed to warn of a low battery but it failed to do so. It did have some cheap no brand batteries in from a pound shop though that the previous owner used. Switched with Varta so may warn me next time! 

Edited by Confused_Cheese

Also note that battery output is affected by temperature, so if your key was colder than normal either because it had not been warmed in your pocket or the weather had suddenly become colder, a battery towards the end of its life will suddenly fail.

You may have noticed this phenomenon with your house smoke detectors: they always start the 'dying battery chirp' in the dead of night when the temperature has fallen and the heating has been off for a while. Car key batteries fail at the same annoying inconvenient time!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

This has just happened to me today with both of my keys. I knew about how to manually unlock and start the car using the NFC in the key from a previous battery drain. I drove to the store and purchased two new batteries, I put them in and that didn't fix the problem. So I tried to resynchronize them, press a button and then manually unlock within a  minute, that still didn't work. I am not sure where to go from here.

Edited by Tulsey

On 03/09/2023 at 00:04, Tulsey said:

This has just happened to me today with both of my keys. I knew about how to manually unlock and start the car using the NFC in the key from a previous battery drain. I drove to the store and purchased two new batteries, I put them in and that didn't fix the problem. So I tried to resynchronize them, press a button and then manually unlock within a  minute, that still didn't work. I am not sure where to go from here.

Does the light on the fob flash when you press the buttons? I found that shop-bought batteries were dead out of the box. Had great success with Duracell CR2025's ordered directly from Amazon. They sell alot so it's always fresh stock, rather than ones in a shop that've been sat on a shelf for several years, potentially baked by sun etc.

Thanks Fabia

I  had never noticed the fob flash even when it was working, it certainly doesn't now. The batteries I put in were fresh Duracell CR2035's, so maybe it is a key problem. I am taking it to a service center for them to run some diagnostics on the keys and system.

• 5 months later...

This is a continuous problem with our 2015 Skoda Fabia. It constantly and inconsistently whinges about "key not found" and there doesn't seem to be a permanent fix. It always responds to a click from 100+ yards away. It starts and drives OK so the key is found otherwise it wouldn't drive for any distance. I've tried all sorts of makes of CR2025 batteries, latest being brand new Duracell Plus with a 10-year shelf life. Installing decent CR2032 doesn't make much difference. For a long time now I've changed the key batteries about every month, although there was a 6-month period when all was well. I now carry a couple of spare CR2025 batteries in the car. As I've had a couple of other random electrical issues I've recently had a new 12 volt battery installed so they've gone away but not the "key not found" issue. I store the key in the cup holder in the centre console when inside the car, so no distance from the s/s button.

Any permanent fix welcome, short of buying new remote keys which I believe are very expensive.

I probably have as I have tried just about every brand on the market in 8 years of ownership. Supermarket own brands don't usually work, so I buy premium batteries such as Duracell and Energiser. My Karoq appears to have the same kessy system but not the same problem. I should add that the key is stored in a Faraday bag when not in the car. Also the garage can't find a fault during servicing.

I very much doubt it's the fob batteries...   Far more likely to be the detector coil or starter button.

On 06/03/2024 at 12:05, JohnGarth said:

CR2032 doesn't make much difference.

It won't they should just last longer but they are a thicker battery than the 2025 recommended(?) battery for the fob.

2025 is 20mm diameter and 2.5mm thick, 2032 is 20mm diameter and 3.2mm thick.

On 06/03/2024 at 12:05, JohnGarth said:

As I've had a couple of other random electrical issues I've recently had a new 12 volt battery installed so they've gone away

Most car owners don't realise how much hassle the car's battery being in a low state state of charge can cause even when the car starts and the lights seem bright enough, all sorts of unexpected warning lights and messages and other issues can appear and things get worse if the battery isn't sufficiently charged, often needs the use of an appropriate battery charger maintainer.

12 hours ago, JohnGarth said:

I probably have as I have tried just about every brand on the market in 8 years of ownership. Supermarket own brands don't usually work

In my wife's 2015 Fabia's remote I have previously used 2025 off a mixed card of button batteries from the likes of the pound shop and they have worked fine - but the remote fob isn't a proximity type like KESSY, personally I'd never want such keys, more to go wrong, I'm happy to stick with using keyblades, as you often have to when the remote type foul up, I'm that mush of an old-fart. 😄

12 hours ago, JohnGarth said:

Also the garage can't find a fault during servicing.

Are you sure they even look, my wife's car is usually serviced at the local Skoda Dealership and I'm not sure they plug a scan tool in and if they did for a specific repair I'd expect them to start suggesting parts replacements rather than proper diagnostics.

Some members on Briskoda have VW appropriate scan tools and may be able to give you at least a scan tool report or be able to do diagnosis - some for free or for beer tokens (others may be professional services so professional charges but I don't know that for sure).  Keys does need as certain level of scan tool to have the relevant program on.

It may be worth your while to  have a look at the following list and see and enquire if someone near to you may be able to help you. - Briskoda VCDS Owners Map (click me)

HTH.

Edited by nta16
Author thicker than cion battery, by many metres :)

@nta16, you need to edit your previous posting - your first part of covering coin cell dimensions, before the "hounds" come at/for you!

• Thanks 1