Brakes Came On Abruptly

PDO

I have a 2018 1.6 SEL Diesel. The other morning, it was completely dark, I was joining a motorway my speed was approx 40 MPH.  Suddenly the wheels locked, I noticed that the "red car warning light came on". Although it was only momentarily it was very disturbing, fortunately there was no vehicle up my backside otherwise it may have been quite serious. I have read a bit about the front assist braking and lane assist but not sure where this incident fits in?  Grateful for any information a fellow owner can provide.

I have had this two times in just over a year. Both I think have been triggered by light levels.

Once on a country A road sun hit at angle, no one behind...

Latest on M5 after Gloucester going under a bridge on inside lane on cruise control. Lucky both times no one close enough to get annoyed. A quick tap of accelerator over rode it.

Certainly wakes you up!!!

I am a bit nervous about it but willing at the moment to forgive it a few false alarms. This technology is still a bit bleeding edge so we are Guinea pigs....

Overall I am making great use of traffic assistance in stop start traffic, and even A road follow the leader traffic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Wow, just had this happen to me leaving town. Driving at about 25mph road ahead clear and a transit van  behind me....my wife and daughter were in the car. Pootling along as normal and the brakes jammed on momentarily. How the guy behind didnt hit us I dont know but it was really worrying. No odd lighting condition or obstruction in road or on pavement.

Not happy.

As Tasape says, there are threads in the Kodiaq section which say this can be mitigated by changing a setting in the Infotainment menu Car/Settings/Driver Assist/Emergency Braking to a lower level. 

Chris

• Like 2

Got ours set to the lowest sensitivity and it still works acceptably, shouting quite loud before the problem and both times it’s happened I’ve beat the system to the brake - however, there does seem to be a problem for some owners......could a large bug, bee / wasp possibly prompt the sudden momentary brake application?

Presumably if this happens & the vehicle behind runs into you its their fault insurance wise?

I know that this has been over-ridden where there is dashcam evidence to show that they were repeatedly brake tested by the car in front which was a bit confusing because the driver will have been alert and could have held back.

But this could be a get out of jail free card for the brake testers which I admit to being one of under duress (if you lived in France you would understand) I don't do it with the intention of being shunted and keep a close eye behind after making sure all is clear ahead, touch wood only caused brown trousers and no couplings to date!

I would imagine the default perspective from the Police and insurance companies would be that the onus is on the vehicle behind to ensure they maintain a safe gap and thus be able to stop in time, including if the incident was due to either a legitimate or spurious activation of the Front Assist system.

The exception as you point out might be if the leading vehicle could be shown to be driving equally without due care and attention i.e. braking checking/testing the following vehicle, their response being that it is always safer to pull over or to slow sufficiently to allow the tailgating driver to pass.

• 1 month later...

Anyone got knowledge on the automatic braking system. Never convinced my automatic braking has worked from new. When it had its first service I asked main dealer to test and they said front radar sensor needed replacing. Booked in and then told it was only recalibrated. Still not convince so built a polystyrene barrier covered with tin foil. ( not a thatcham test, but not bad for an amateur). At 9mph I drove through it without stopping. At a second run at 12 mph the car braked to a stop about a meter before the barrier, success!

I asked dealer why it did not stop at 5 Km per hour as per the handbook. I was told to ignore what is said in handbook. He then added that you have to achieve 27mph before the system sets. 
when I then informed him that on my second test it worked at 12mph, without first achieving 27 mph, the manager said he would have to speak to his technician before getting back to me. I am still waiting.

I am pleased that it works at the higher speed as that is most important for safety, but still would like it to work at the hand book specified speeds as this would protect minor shunts.

my friend videoed the test runs which was interesting. Incidentally the tests were carried out on private property , not on the public highway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting test, something I've thought about doing, but never got around to it - only had a couple of apparently spurious activations myself where I couldn't see anything obvious to trigger it - however I do feel that mine is a little too sensitive if I'm clearing a vehicle turning left in front of me, but it's something I can make allowance for, usually only triggers the warning alarm.