So, tonights tea was..........................

Auric Goldfinger

Last night was Skate , part of the roker family, a flatfish of the family that saw off the Australian bloke. The poison sacks for the tail are held in glands inside the wings, and my dad always promised to show me how to cut a wing without puncturing the sack, but unfortunately never did.

Another fact not known to the landlubber fishmongers( mainly at Morrisons) is that Skate matures with age. So once its past sell by date, the price drops drastically. Up north, ye old Highland gents used to hang skate etc on the washing line till it "cured". My old dog Lucky loved old skate and ( I suspect was part JRT) could be found with an old skate wing . So next time you see skate wings on the reduced isle, buy it, as you'll find its still nice.

Did your Father tell you about their genitals?

When I was young I was told that it was illegal for fishmongers to display skate unless they were removed, T'internet would suggest that was an urban legend but they are nonetheless always removed, having seen them on display in other countries its clear to see why.

Lucky certainly had the right name if he copped for those scraps 😄

I quite like a wing of skate if the local chippy has them in. At least I think it's Skate. Chippies have a habit of disguising some fish species with other names e.g. Rock Salmon = Dogfish. 

Tonight we had Chinese takeaway. 

Leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

• Like 1

Mac- been there on WCML ,with hot dog vans a GOGO in Rugby. in the days in past times when paper headlines were "Network lost" or similar.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Ooh are they tinned garden peas? I am very partial to them :) 

Yep and same here. Can't beat tinned peas now and again.

Unless of course you've got some Squeezy Cheezy Peaz 😋 

• Like 1

Tinned peas sadly don't have salt and sugar in them any more, at least in the UK, so to get the authentic taste from my childhood, I add a little salt and sugar in to the pea water (odd phrase that!) and regain the full impact of this culinary delight. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Tinned peas sadly don't have salt and sugar in them any more, at least in the UK, so to get the authentic taste from my childhood, I add a little salt and sugar in to the pea water (odd phrase that!) and regain the full impact of this culinary delight. 

Just checked the can out of interest. 'Baby peas, water, sugar, salt'.

image.jpeg.79c6cbe3630491f2d8bfef2cf2025a4d.jpeg

Tonight will be a Pork chop, gravy & some veg but I'm torn between Mash or Roast spuds 🥔?

I'm leaning towards mash as they will be quicker to cook & better as soaking up the gravy of which, there will be a lot.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

Germany is so much more advanced...   :crying:

Are you kidding?! I can only order a prescription from my doc in person or via a...........................

................................FAX! :D 

3 hours ago, @Lee said:

Are you kidding?! I can only order a prescription from my doc in person or via a...........................

................................FAX! :D 

You've got salty, sweet, tinned peas, so you are still leagues ahead...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Think I may have overdone the mash🥔! That was only half the gravy & I needed all of it. Was rather good though.

Box of Maltesers for afters - oops. Now to watch the footie with a beer or two. 

image.png.d1409180417da9bcdb24698dd5ddd3b3.png

It is a scientific fact, that you can't have too much mash. Besides, it goes into your mash stomach (it's adjacent to your pudding stomach) so you can eat as much mash as you like :) hth. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

It is a scientific fact, that you can't have too much mash. Besides, it goes into your mash stomach (it's adjacent to your pudding stomach) so you can eat as much mash as you like :) hth. 

Mashed potato sammidges are lush ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

Mashed potato sammidges are lush ❤️

I can't believe I'm saying this...or typing it rather...but I have never had a mash sarnie! I can imagine a toasted mash sarnie with a little bit of ham and perhaps some finely chopped spring onion, but not a straight mash n' bread epic. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I can't believe I'm saying this...or typing it rather...but I have never had a mash sarnie! I can imagine a toasted mash sarnie with a little bit of ham and perhaps some finely chopped spring onion, but not a straight mash n' bread epic. 

Trust me on this one. I told people about them on facey and they all said 'naahhh'.

Then came the 'OMG they're fantastic' :D 

Bread, butter (or Lurpak for you rolling in it) and the mash. Not just smeared on but a good helping. 👍 

• Like 1

I'd definitely have had a tin of garden peas on the side with that....and of course a big mug of tea :) nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom 

Although, isn't that Cumberland pie? (it has a cheesy topping) :) 

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom 

• Love it! 1