2 issues oil useage and blind spot monitoring failure

womanofkent

Haven't been on for a while hope you are all well.

Our Karoq was registered 31st Jan 2018, about 18000 miles now on the clock and booked in for 2nd service next week.

Driving home from a few days away last week and the blind spot monitoring came up with a failure and stopped working, drove straight to the dealer who put it on the clever machine and came up with switched off due to solarisation, the tech had no idea and was going to contact Skoda so when the car goes in for service he can see if they know why it happened, he got it working again but wondered if anyone else had this happen to them.

Oil level light has come on today, husband has dipped and he says it is on the low side so putting in some oil before Tuesday, to be on the safe side.  We have never had to fill up oil when the car has only done under 10000 miles since the last service and we've had automatics for the last 3 cars, there's no oil patch on our garage floor so interested to know if anyone else is using a lot of oil and is this a problem with Skodas?  

Any input on either issue welcomed, we don't want to be fobbed off by Skoda if there is a known issue.

Thank you

Our Karoq 1.5TSi manual SEL had used only 0.25 litre before it's only service on 30/08/2019 at 18,700 miles. Guess your husband may have had to top up about 1 litre which is not unreasonable on a new car. The oil usage normally settles down after 20,000 miles. Our car was registered 26/01/2018 and now showing 20,300 miles and recently both key fobs failed within 24 hours which the dealer claimed was due to both batteries failing (which I don't believe BTW). While the dealer had it the software patch was done to hopefully fix the skippy issue in 1st gear which has been present since new.:thumbup:Front tyres now 5.8mm and rears 4.2mm (swapped at 17,500 miles).:nod:

gosh yours is wearing very well.

How come your first service was at 18700 miles?  we've been told yearly which was Feb and then he's put almost 10000 on since so we have to have it serviced again.

Both our key fobs failed too, husband said his hadn't told him and couldn't get the car to start by placing key fob near steering wheel, thankfully I had mine with me which said low battery when I gave it to him, I am not always with him when he's in the car so thought it strange both failed on same day too, quick trip to Argos who had them in stock but ...erm🤨

He swapped our tyres over and ended up replacing all 4 back in September with Michelins can't remember what they came with but he said one of his previous Lexus had them on and they didn't last long on that car either we were only £529.56 poorer 😖 got them at Costco when they had an offer on think otherwise we were looking at £750 elsewhere.

Service manager did say another car this week needed a software update and that their blind spot had stopped working too.  Husband loves the car but in my view we have been to the dealer more than we ever had with our last 3 Lexus so thinking we should sell when the warranty runs out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your car should have left the factory on variable servicing which would take you 2 years if on low mileage or like us upto 30,000km which took us 20 months. Did you get the 2 free services when you bought the car? Our second service is due in 17,000 miles according to the onboard computer.:) The tyres are Michelin Primacy and hope to get at least 30,000 miles from a set.

ours seems to be on fixed servicing? either annually or 10,000 miles and as we had the first one done at 8370 and are almost at 18000 miles the computer says only 600 to go, maybe I'll get husband to call them and ask why.

Our wheels are 19 inch being an Edition and came with Bridgestones on, so I'm informed which he doesn't rate at all only got about 16000 miles on them and that was with switching them around, not uneven wear but just run down quickly, wouldn't mind but husband can be Captain Slow he drives it in Eco mode most of the time, apart from knocking the stick to Sport every now and then when he needs to over take quickly. 

Wife had a Rapid SE Sport before the Karoq with 17" alloys and 215/40 tyres which were Bridgestones and when we traded it in it had done 28,600 miles on those tyres but only had to cope with the 105bhp 1.2TSi engine and manual gearbox. The dealer will have set the servicing to fixed which is 372 days or 9,400 miles and is being very cheeky if you are being asked to pay for an annual service IMHO.:thumbdown: The first service we will have to pay for will be at approximately 55,000 miles.:D

2 hours ago, womanofkent said:

Haven't been on for a while hope you are all well.

Our Karoq was registered 31st Jan 2018, about 18000 miles now on the clock and booked in for 2nd service next week.

Driving home from a few days away last week and the blind spot monitoring came up with a failure and stopped working, drove straight to the dealer who put it on the clever machine and came up with switched off due to solarisation, the tech had no idea and was going to contact Skoda so when the car goes in for service he can see if they know why it happened, he got it working again but wondered if anyone else had this happen to them.

Oil level light has come on today, husband has dipped and he says it is on the low side so putting in some oil before Tuesday, to be on the safe side.  We have never had to fill up oil when the car has only done under 10000 miles since the last service and we've had automatics for the last 3 cars, there's no oil patch on our garage floor so interested to know if anyone else is using a lot of oil and is this a problem with Skodas?  

Any input on either issue welcomed, we don't want to be fobbed off by Skoda if there is a known issue.

Thank you

The Karoq is the first Skoda I have bought and so far I've have added around 400 ml of oil to the engine at just less than 5000 miles, it is the first new car I've owned with a turbo so I guess that will add to the use of oil with the engine being a petrol TSI. Adding oil to engines seems to be quite normal with Skodas looking at some of the forums e.g.: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=102690

Never had to top up the engine oil in any of the Jap cars I owned i.e. Datsun/Nissan, Suzuki, Subaru and Honda.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

The dealer will have set the servicing to fixed which is 372 days or 9,400 miles and is being very cheeky if you are being asked to pay for an annual service IMHO.:thumbdown: The first service we will have to pay for will be at approximately 55,000 miles.:D

Just rung Skoda to ask why our Karoq was put on fixed servicing, so the reason I have been told is that because it is a petrol and longlife oil is not put in it.  Variable servicing is for those who do a lot of miles in a year approx 20000.  We could swap to variable servicing and request long life oil put in but servicing costs will then be higher I have said I would like to discuss this when we take it in next week so if I get any more info I'll let everyone know

13 hours ago, Apprentice said:

Never had to top up the engine oil in any of the Jap cars I owned i.e. Datsun/Nissan, Suzuki, Subaru and Honda.

Don't think we've had a turbo before, 3l Lexus though, but then you start to think that may have been on lower service intervals, sounds like Lexus put in better quality oil perhaps? and then of course there could be other variables.  Although that link is to an old thread interesting about the turbo, will ask about should we be doing anything to preserve it when we go in.  Thanks for sharing that.

As above, there will be a sticker in the boot somewhere with production codes, and one of them will be QG1 service interval prolongation ( long life service regime)

• Like 3

Shy is absolutely correct in the quality of oil used. It's all to the same standard. 

Variable services were brought in for fleet users to minimise the total cost of operating a vehicle under a lease when after a fixed time they get rid of the car. They don't care about the wear caused by prolonged oil changes. 

If you follow people like Honest John in the Telegraph who seems unbiased he will recommend 1year or 10000 miles maximum. People with large fleets that expect to run them for 200,000 miles change the oil at 5,000 miles.

It really depends on how long you intend to keep the vehicle. 

Regarding oil consumption no engine manufacturer will consider there to be a problem unless oil consumption (excluding leaks) exceeds 1% of the fuel used. This can be a lot of oil! 1 top up between services is ok in my opinion. 

Regarding overall reliability our 1.5 DSG has been excellent particularly now the latest update to the engine was carried out at the first service after 1 year and 8,200 miles 

It's certainly exceeded my expectations as has the service from Skoda Medway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The oil light has just come up on my MY19 1.5TSI at 11,000 miles (delivered in October 2018).  I am sticking to variable servicing as set at the moment and expect to have a service in about 6 months time.  I had a 1.2 TSI previously (again left on variable servicing) and I put some oil in that at about 7,000 miles and not again for the rest of the 5 years that we kept it.  It stayed on variable servicing but would trigger the service warning about every 12-13,000 miles. 

• Like 2

thank you everyone for your comments, overall husband is happy with car and that is all that matters I suppose, we've had a better experience than some but I am starting to worry about how all the electronics that a lot of manufacturers are putting in their cars will last long term.  Time will tell

Why do Skoda main dealers still pedal this crap about the differences in the oil used between fixed and variable servicing, or between petrol and diesel engines.

It is absolute rubbish, and the dealer needs taking to task on this.

Servicing should be more personalised. My sister-in-law has a Fabia in which she only travels 2000 miles a year max. So she has an interim service every 2000 miles and a major service every 4000 miles. So that means all filters plugs are replaced willy nilly not depending upon the service that they have given.

Interesting thread.

My 2.0 TDI Edition was registered on 16/01/18 and - guess what - my key fob battery has just needed to be replaced! Having read some threads here I have replaced batteries in both.

Tyres - just replaced all 4 at 21600, £610 from Asda (fitted by Setyres). Dunlop SPMAXXRT which gave me very good mileage on previous cars. Interestingly the backs wore more than the fronts but possibly that was due to towing a caravan for 2500 miles. I will think about adding a bit more pressure to the backs when towing. These are also extra load (XL) tyres which may help with the weight of the van.

I am on a variable service interval with services about every 18000 miles. Yes the long life oil is a bit more expensive but I am only paying for 2 services every 36000 miles as opposed to three+. I have had variable for my last 3 Skodas without any problems so I am comfortable with that. I haven't had to add any oil at all. And. as mentioned above, it is surprising how much oil an engine can consume and be within spec. A figure is usually given in the handbook.

• Like 1

Just going back to the original post regarding BLIS, mine has just packed up on both sides. First noticed it last week driving to an airport car park, but upon collecting it yesterday (Monday), it is still u/s. I've not got a clue what it could be, but as you probably know, when the engine is first started there is some sort of systems check, and both wing mirror BLIS LED's light up, then slowly dim. What I have now is both LED's flicking on very briefly then no more. 

Going into the Vehicle settings page, the BLIS option is still ticked, as are all the safety systems, but if I then uncheck that box then re-check same box I get a message that that "function is not currently available". I guess it's probably software related but I reckon the more witchcraft you have on board the more there is to go wrong. I've contacted my dealer about it but rather than book it in  straight away I'm going to call by and get there tech guy to have a look at it to see if it's a quick fix or not then book it in (hopefully under warranty).

Incidentally, the Skoda Connect app does not show any defects, including the Assistance items, so once again it's a case of Simply Not That Clever.

• Like 1

Update

service done today, as some of you have said long life oil put in.

@westie38 when our blind spot stopped working they got it back on by reticking  the boxes on the screen above the steering wheel display, when we went in today they said it had happened on a kodiaq last week too.  They said it needed a software update which was done but we will see if that lasts. Get them to put their computer on it and see what message it tells them but mention the software update.  Funny how you get used to these gadgets. Hope you get yours sorted let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up about the software update - I'll probably take it in on Thursday so I'll mention this to them. As well as unchecking/re-checking the BLISS option in Settings, I did try doing the same in the dot matrix screen but it gives the same message. I guess one just mimics the other.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

Skoda manual says if driving less than 10k miles per year should be on annual service interval if more than 10k then on flexible. Quite normal for oil to be used while engine beds in and should settle - Yeti (2.0L D) used around 1 litre in first year then really just a small top up between services. Diesels do tend to consume more than petrols. The Karoq is harder to estimate as it got its first service at 6K - (not working anymore so mileage way down) and it's level had only dropped by around 1/4. The dealers like to sell annual services to make more money.

Thank you for this, we are normally about 10000 miles a year first service about 8700 in Feb but the mileage seems to have crept on, visiting universities across the South and a trip to Dorset and Bath amazing how the mileage adds up.  Husband has just bought some Castrol long life oil the one we were told by Skoda to get currently in Aldi at the moment for £7.99 a litre.  Most important was that no oil leaks were found.

• Like 1

Was it this one you got:-

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-162116-castrol-edge-professional-ll-iv-fe-0w-20-vag-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx for MY19

or this one:-

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?vehicleType=cars&manufacturer=skoda&model=karoq-nu7-(2018-)&modelType=karoq-1-5-tsi-(110-kw)-(2018-)

Is your Karoq model year 2018 or 2019?

Edit: Just noticed the bit about the towbar fitted 1st Feb 2018 so your Karoq isn't  a MY19

Edited by Apprentice
Edit