Dynamic Light Assist - a bit rubbish?

2 minutes ago, JackySi said:

amazingly. They improve visibility which improves safety. It can be very helpful in countries where there is a lot of wildlife on road (like where I drive most of the time). So they're actually worth a lot if executed properly. It can also mean you don't hit a pedestrian that doesn't walk properly on road (in my country no one uses any reflection, so they're easy to miss, specially drunk people)

Yes I'm sure these systems are fantastic when functioning properly/used correctly. However any benefit of them is somewhat negated when you have just had your eye balls melted off when on the receiving end of one of them, what chance have you got of seeing an unlit pedestrian then. 

1 minute ago, Gmac983 said:

Yes I'm sure these systems are fantastic when functioning properly/used correctly. However any benefit of them is somewhat negated when you have just had your eye balls melted off when on the receiving end of one of them, what chance have you got of seeing an unlit pedestrian then. 

That's exactly what I'm saying, seriously what are you reading??? I'm saying that SLA on Superb is useless since it doesn't work properly all the time......... If I dazzle 8 drivers out of 100 it already makes system piece of ****... As it creates 8 unnecessary dangerous/unwilling situations which would be avoided in manual mode. 

I dazzled 0 drivers since I bought my V90 which is now about month and half old. 

5 minutes ago, JackySi said:

That's exactly what I'm saying, seriously what are you reading???

Easy there tiger...

What am I reading? Seriously? 

Surely that I have quoted you in my post shows what I was reading.

I wasn't aware I was arguing with anyone at all... 

Thought I was just giving some relevance to what I was saying. 

If you are hell bent on having an argument with someone then you better look elsewhere as I'm not interested. 

Also as I clearly stated earlier I have no experience of the Skoda system so cannot and did not comment on it. However volvo's system which is considered to be one of the better ones on the market is also not perfect and trouble free. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

I just said it works poorly compared to other brands I drove. Specially Audi. Audi's adaptive matrix headlights (A6 2018+) work so well that u never need to do anything...

OFCOURSE it works poorly when you (again!) compare xenon to matrix LED! It's not the Skoda camera or the Skoda lights or the Skoda badge, it's the technology! It's OLDER!

Matrix LED = faster

Xenon AFS SLA = slower

You want the faster system, you pay the premium price. It doesn't mean the Xenon AFS SLA system is bad (because otherwise EVERYBODY would complain), it just means you have unrealistic expectations. And this is what's prevalent on the forum these days, you have people buying Skoda expecting Audi or VW level quality and features, not understanding Skoda should be seen as the "price-quality" offering of the VAG range. I'm honestly surprised Skoda has the digital dash, matrix LED, adaptive suspension, etc. 10 Years ago you could really tell Skoda was the lesser brand, you just got the previous generation Golf with a different badge and that was it. Nowadays when they buy Skoda everybody expects to really get an Audi with a big discount. And after they discover there is still a difference between brands, next day on Briskoda; "DON'T BUY SKODA, NEVER AGAIN, TOTAL RIPOFF, I NOW HAVE BRAND X AND IT'S WAY BETTER".

Anyway. Good luck with your Volvo (cracking cars, I really like the V90 estate!) and enjoy it.

Edited by Too Tall
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

OFCOURSE it works poorly when you (again!) compare xenon to matrix LED! It's not the Skoda camera or the Skoda lights or the Skoda badge, it's the technology! It's OLDER!

Matrix LED = faster

Xenon AFS SLA = slower

You want the faster system, you pay the premium price. It doesn't mean the Xenon AFS SLA system is bad (because otherwise EVERYBODY would complain), it just means you have unrealistic expectations. And this is what's prevalent on the forum these days, you have people buying Skoda expecting Audi or VW level quality and features, not understanding Skoda should be seen as the "price-quality" offering of the VAG range. I'm honestly surprised Skoda has the digital dash, matrix LED, adaptive suspension, etc. 10 Years ago you could really tell Skoda was the lesser brand, you just got the previous generation Golf with a different badge and that was it. Nowadays when they buy Skoda everybody expects to really get an Audi with a big discount. And after they discover there is still a difference between brands, next day on Briskoda; "DON'T BUY SKODA, NEVER AGAIN, TOTAL RIPOFF, I NOW HAVE BRAND X AND IT'S WAY BETTER".

Anyway. Good luck with your Volvo (cracking cars, I really like the V90 estate!) and enjoy it.

You don't truly get what I'm saying... I never said Superb isn't worth its money. I never claimed I expected the same headlights wise. AFS is slower, but we're talking about few MILLISECONDS when it comes to MATRIX vs AFS. What I'm talking about is SECONDS. 5-10 seconds between detecting the car while I was already blinding people. I'm talking about the speed when system detects a car and starts doing something... That has nothing to do with Headlight it self. You can see when motors start turning/shading the beam and that doesn't take much longer on Superb, compared to other cars I've driven. 

Superb is king of best value for money.... Of course it is. But I would NOT offer SLA rather than offer unreliable/unsafe system that can actually dazzle other people instead of prevent that which is its MAIN PURPOSE.

P.S.: Matrix headlight isn't so much better because of the way LED's react (speed), but the point is that the beam is much more "dense" which makes light far better distributed than Xenon which uses reflectors and lens and that control over lightning is more precise, so you can also point light to sides better and also when there is rain you can make reflective shine from asphalt less annoying (mercedes is doing that for example). So Matrix wasn't truly invented to make headlights respond faster...

Edited by JackySi

15 minutes ago, JackySi said:

What I'm talking about is SECONDS. 5-10 seconds between detecting the car while I was already blinding people

I can only say that is not the way my car works. I have driven matrix LED cars at night, the light is alot sharper and the "cutoff" of the edges is sharper, I found the "black" area smaller due to there were more LEDs that could be on even when shading other cars, and the reaction time was quicker, but certainly not "5-10 seconds"-quicker. I can only repeat you must have had a bad camera or calibration.

Also, I think YOUR threshold for detection is alot lower then the car's….just because YOU could see the headlights of a car shining around a corner or over a hill, that doesn't mean your car could detect it. I personally think you had a few bad experiences (badly lit old cars in front of you not being detected, lots of undulating roads up-and-down in your area where all SLA systems always suffer, maybe problems with your particular camera,...) and you just ended up wanting to disable the system as soon as YOU saw another car, instead of letting your car decide.

Edited by Too Tall
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I can only say that is not the way my car works. I have driven matrix LED cars at night, the light is alot sharper and the "cutoff" of the edges is sharper, I found the "black" area smaller due to there were more LEDs that could be on even when shading other cars, and the reaction time was quicker, but certainly not "5-10 seconds"-quicker. I can only repeat you must have had a bad camera or calibration.

Again you are literally focusing in few words I wrote. I said 8 out of 100 times I'm talking about special circumstances that are not happening on daily basics. But even one of those makes the system repeating my self unsafe, unreliable and useless. Its better NOT to have this sort of system than to have it done halfway. I'm repeating, I have never, EVER dazzled anyone with my V90, nor any other cars with Matrix headlights that I've driven which range from A4, A6 to Mercedes E class (not actual matrix, but similar system). 

My Superb, was calibrated, tests confirmed all was working as specified by Skoda (got papers for both times it was calibrated) and the system was still not working as it should by my safety standards. I'm done cause I'm starting to sound like broken record, repeating myself over and over. 

don't bother @Too Tall and @Gmac983 because no matter wat u say, @JackySi will not change his mind about SLA in the Superb being useless/crap!!

many people r happy with the SLA performance.  

i have never been flashed.

out of the hundreds of driving scenarios (RHD), the SLA has only been slow (by 1-2 secs) to react to oncoming traffic coming around a bend/corner.

mine always errs on the side of caution.

- on bendy roads with a car infront, it will usually only raise the left beam, lighting up the side of the road.  it won't do the "U" thing and light up the oncoming road.

- on straight roads, if the car infront is close, again, it will only raise the left beam, and not the right beam, probably because the camera can't see oncoming traffic due to car infront obstructing the camera's view.

yes, its not precise like the matrix LED headlights, but it does a good job with just the rollers.

i'm a happy camper :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JR RS said:

don't bother @Too Tall and @Gmac983 because no matter wat u say, @JackySi will not change his mind about SLA in the Superb being useless/crap!!

out of the hundreds of driving scenarios (RHD), the SLA has only been slow (by 1-2 secs) to react to oncoming traffic coming around a bend/corner.

- on bendy roads with a car infront, it will usually only raise the left beam, lighting up the side of the road.  it won't do the "U" thing and light up the oncoming road.

- on straight roads, if the car infront is close, again, it will only raise the left beam, and not the right beam, probably because the camera can't see oncoming traffic due to car infront obstructing the camera's view.

yes, its not precise like the matrix LED headlights, but it does a good job with just the rollers.

I guess. I've got my car for a year now, and I've been flashed once…there's a mighty steep hill near where I live. I came over the hill and the nose swung down. Below was a car coming, the camera was literally looking straight up at the sky so no time to adapt, and he flashed. I still think this was someone who saw highbeams approaching from behind the hill before he ever saw my car, and as soon as he saw my car with the highbeams on he flashed. I disabled the system, but I wonder if the car would have actually been fast enough to adapt when we finally were pointing at eachother. I think yes.

Great system, within reason.

8 hours ago, JR RS said:

How many people flash you is truly crappy benchmark to how SLA works. People that you dazzle in rear can not flash you back.. I did about 71.000km with my Superb, I did about 2000-3000km with other Superbs (testing, replacement while mine was on service) and I did now about 12.000km on Volvo V90. My conclusion was that SLA works, but only in perfect conditions, straight road, camera having good visibility, other people must have very good red rear lights otherwise car doesn't detect them, no hard bends as in those camera needs 1-2 seconds to react (not to move motors!) which means that opposing car already passes by. Other than that it works fine. But like I said, if car doesn't work 99/100 cases, the system can be dangers and it voids exactly what it was meant for! Dazzles full adaptive high beams!!! Like I said, no system is perfect, but Volvo's and Audi's is much better and doesn't do 1-2 sec reaction times. 

Im truly done with attempting explaining my point to you as you all just see me whine about SLA as it being faulty. I didn't have faulty SLA. The Superb has either slow processor to process traffic or the Camera simply sucks. For the price you pay its amazing true. But for the performance I've had from it, its more dangers than good and I would never buy it again on 2015-2019 Superb. If I ever buy another Superb (not happening anytime soon) I will defo get one with adaptive Matrix Headlights. But compared to higher priced brands it sadly not as good and this sort of feature should be. Materials in car, Engine options, Suspension, etc... obviously can't match a 85.000€ car. But the assistance systems that can cause accidents like SLA (in worst possible situations of course) should be done the same quality wise.

I wish you all nice day but I'm done with this topic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

The  MY Superb has either slow processor to process traffic or the Camera simply sucks.

Corrected. I hope you really enjoy your new car (still jealous! :) ) and enjoy the Volvo forums.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Corrected. I hope you really enjoy your new car (still jealous! :) ) and enjoy the Volvo forums.

Thanks 😃! It looks like Volvo community is far worse than briskoda, which is truly amazing to be honest (Briskoda community I mean). I hope there is no bad feelings for my posts, I know I may sound aggressive on times, but I wasn't meant to be. I just wanted to make a point. 

Apologies if it felt that way.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JackySi said:

This is what I was talking about. On Superb the Bus would pass by before headlights would dip. Also Volvo has mechanical parts not actual matrix lights see on video. 

Not on my previous (HID SLA) Superb, and certainly not on my current (LED SLA) one -- the HID one behaved very much like this, the LED one is much more precise about where the dark area is and much faster to bring main beam back up afterwards.

Many people (including me) have said that their Superb SLA works well, but you keep telling them they're wrong -- you seem to be falling into the trap of assuming that just because you have had a bad experience with something (and note that I'm not saying *you're* wrong about that) then everybody else must have done the same...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanJD said:

Not on my previous (HID SLA) Superb, and certainly not on my current (LED SLA) one -- the HID one behaved very much like this, the LED one is much more precise about where the dark area is and much faster to bring main beam back up afterwards.

Many people (including me) have said that their Superb SLA works well, but you keep telling them they're wrong -- you seem to be falling into the trap of assuming that just because you have had a bad experience with something (and note that I'm not saying *you're* wrong about that) then everybody else must have done the same...

Behind bends like this one where camera doesn't see what's behind bend? Well I've driven multiple cars to confirm my experience so what you just wrote I find very strange. My Superb was MY18 and the ones I drove also 18/19... My Volvo brings up lights immediately after the bend but my point was how fast it drops the high beam behind a bend.

In that case I was very unlucky with the Superb's I've driven. 

18 hours ago, JackySi said:

In that case I was very unlucky with the Superb's I've driven. 

Exactly wat we've all been trying to telling u the past few pages or two.......

• Like 2

On 13/12/2019 at 09:30, JackySi said:

<Big rant snipped>

I wish you all nice day but I'm done with this topic. 

Except you keep banging on about it, we know you've been unlucky 'driving several cars' but lots of people on here (so driving many cars) don't have issues - I wonder if it's your eyes then? and that your latest Volvo lights aren't quite the same as Skoda (less bright/too bright/different wavelength) so you just perceive one system as better?

This debate is getting boring. I hope we can move on and any future posts are constructive and not the continual "mine is better than yours".

Has anyone else with the new HID SLA on the facelift model noticed that the main beams seem to be a little bit high compared to dip beams, so there's a horizontal slightly darker line in the beam pattern where they meet up? They are very good at illuminating trees and roadside, but I can't help thinking they'd do an even better job of lighting up the road in the far distance if aimed a bit lower.

Or is this likely to be an adjustment thing that can be fixed by a dealer (or me)?

3 hours ago, IanJD said:

Has anyone else with the new HID SLA on the facelift model noticed that the main beams seem to be a little bit high compared to dip beams, so there's a horizontal slightly darker line in the beam pattern where they meet up? They are very good at illuminating trees and roadside, but I can't help thinking they'd do an even better job of lighting up the road in the far distance if aimed a bit lower.

Or is this likely to be an adjustment thing that can be fixed by a dealer (or me)?

I too have noticed this. Have drove 2 facelifts and both appear to have this, and like you agree they would be better if set slightly lower.

Could be a problem resetting them doubt whether any dealerships have the necessary equipment to do it, hope someone can prove me wrong?

But I do find them absolutely brilliant......