Karoq fuel door sometimes will not release

dbayman

The press release mechanism in my 9 month old Karoq seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to opening. I just sprayed it today with WD 40 silicon spray. There was a slight improvement but never always on the first touch. Previous 2 Octy's never had any problem.

Am I missing something?  I usually switch ignition off and remove the key but the car is unlocked.

cheers
Bill

I had this problem last week, intermittently at first, then it would not open at all.

Took it back to Mitchell’s, they fixed it quite quickly, told me there are two prongs somewhere that needed adjusting/filing down, I haven’t looked for them, maybe it’s a problem they knew about. Works fine now.

Given the number of mentions this gets (on the Seat forum too) I’ve pre-empted any upcoming problems by getting the file out myself and trimming the lugs.........whilst it still all works as it should. I can now, if necessary, simply prise open the flap without doing any damage.

Thanks guys for all the feedback.........I will probably take it back to the dealer and let them fix it.  Good to know it appears to be a known problem.  It usually opens after 3 attempts !!!

cheers

Bill

3 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

Yes Bill, I'm getting similar after 3months - I was thinking of phoning the dealer tomorrow about this and one or two other things - like which oil they use when it comes to servicing (fixed mileage/12months whichever first).

Your dealer should have it on their system - mine is 18K miles with long life oil. I believe the software in the car tells you when to take the car in.

There is only longlife oil now, despite what dealers try and tell you.

They'll either be using Castrol Edge or Quantum Longlife III (VAG's own brand manufactured by Fuch's).

VW 507.00 is the key specification to look for...

image.png.0e6ba067de4b5e9447afa73ea16f6e2d.png

image.png.1150b06f0607f6108467015683af1bbf.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-Longlife-5W-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litres/223613948218?hash=item34106e113a:g:ubgAAOSwk75dSZyD

https://quantumparts.co.uk/media/custom/upload/16444_Quantum_LONGLIFE_III_5W-30_Spec_Sheet_v4.pdf

Silver1011.  thanks for that - that sounds much simpler than the many options talked about towards the end of the lengthy 2018 thread link below, which I did find a little confusing.  Oils mentioned there were VW502(petrol fixed only) VW504(petrol variable) VW505(diesel) VW 507(diesel/petrol  fixed/variable) were talked about as well as VW508 & VW509 which I think are very thin oils.

Are you saying that for petrol or diesel, fixed or variable servicing, VW507 is the oil that should be used in all circumstances these days.  I believe that engines were being filled with VW508/9 thin oils at one time - if still being done, is it OK to top up with VW507 before the first service (fixed in my case), when the engine will be refilled with that VW507 oil.  Off topic, but interested to know.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/458747-service-schedule-item-list-of-things-to-do/

They all leave the factory with VW508/509.

Just incase as they enter a country they are retested for the WLTP as has been happening in the UK.

They need to replicate the results.  The TDI's can not since the WLTP have the old trick that was done of diesel in the engine oil....

(Not that Skoda would do that in the past. Audi, VW & SEAT maybe.

Hence the early Euro 6 cars that were discontinued, bought back, and given new scores on the doors from the 3 brands. early 2016 after the Defeat Device Scandal.)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-emissions-scandal-nine-vw-vehicles-have-false-co2-ratings

If i owned a TSI from 2019 and it was a keeper, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or older ones i would use VW502 spec.  5w 40 FS Not Long Life,

TSI's can still use VW502 when doing fixed services.    VW Group have never cared about cars at 5 years & on. 

Long Life Oil and lots of short lived TSI's.  Gubbed engines in each generation. Means nowt to the Management Board,  

I would rather get 2 mpg less if the oil does make that difference and it does not and have an engine last 10 years plus.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Below is Variable / Flexible Servicing.    For fixed spec to VW 502 00 can be just dandy.

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, croquemonsieur said:

Silver1011.  thanks for that - that sounds much simpler than the many options talked about towards the end of the lengthy 2018 thread link below, which I did find a little confusing.  Oils mentioned there were VW502(petrol fixed only) VW504(petrol variable) VW505(diesel) VW 507(diesel/petrol  fixed/variable) were talked about as well as VW508 & VW509 which I think are very thin oils.

Are you saying that for petrol or diesel, fixed or variable servicing, VW507 is the oil that should be used in all circumstances these days.  I believe that engines were being filled with VW508/9 thin oils at one time - if still being done, is it OK to top up with VW507 before the first service (fixed in my case), when the engine will be refilled with that VW507 oil.  Off topic, but interested to know.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/458747-service-schedule-item-list-of-things-to-do/

VW 504.00 standard refers to oil spec for petrol engines and VW 507.00 standard refers to oil spec for diesel engines, the same container of oil can be used in petrol and diesel engines if those two VW standards are written on the back of the tin (plastic container)

Just checked the bill for my first £179 service (another thread) which shows they used 5W/30 (I suspect Castrol LL) which is VW504/507. If it left the factory with VW508 which I think is 0/20 might emissions be up slightly and fuel economy down?  Though we might all fuss about oils I wonder if multi franchise dealers bother (my Skoda dealer isn't), I was once told they used the same in everything and no Fiat dealer I went to ever used the Fiat recommended oil it was always Castrol.

Note to Burchy - hope you cleared the shelves, Halfords charge £51 for 4 litres.

When i was an apprentice mechanic (mechanical engineer) we still changed oil in diesels every 3,000 miles and 6,000 miles in petrols.

I had a nearly new (ex demonstrator) Metro Automatic and it went in for a service and they put some crap oil in and said no matter they used multigrade.

It did matter as the engine and autobox shared the oil.

After they changed the oil again for the correct grade and i got the car back i went in and by accident poured burst oil over the parts / store counter.

The guy went ape, but seemed to understand that maybe he should learn the job if going to stick with it.

Ours was problematic when the salesman demonstrated it during the handover only a few weeks ago ! It openes most times but is sometimes a bit sticky. I guess its a common problem.

Edited by Pohsibj

Be sure then that the Master Tech is having the Service Desk staff logging the issue with Skoda so that instead of 'they all do that', 

it can be 'never heard of that before'.

If common on new and nearly new it will be a PITA down the line when out of Warranty.

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:21, Karock said:

The dealer told me when I collected the car that the fuel flap could be a bit sticky.

If you give it a sharp tap in the middle of the flap it opens every time, well mine does without fail.

Thanks for the tip - it did seem to be very sensitive as to where you tap it.  I gave it a good spray with WD 40 silicon spray and so far it has opened every day !

cheers

Bill

You'll find sticking fuel flap stories on other threads. Notorious problem.

Plunger / solenoid fails to stroke and/or rotate. Hence stuck shut. Nasty when your'e low on fuel. As I was.

Mine was on a Superb. Flap was modified to eliminate the risk.

As stated in my previous post, mine started like that, but got worse. It was at the point when I was at a petrol station with a quarter tank left, and unable to open it. I am a retired aircraft engineer and tried bangs, taps , gentle pressure, strong pressure, at all angles, strong language  even, all to no avail. Fine now after garage filed down the lugs, obviously a common fault, they knew what to do.

Never had this on any of my other Skodas.

On 18/11/2019 at 21:21, Karock said:

The dealer told me when I collected the car that the fuel flap could be a bit sticky.

If you give it a sharp tap in the middle of the flap it opens every time, well mine does without fail.

Agree with this comment 100 per cent. Do new Karoqs coming through still have this fuel problem?