Expansion bottle replacement

3 minutes ago, Llwyngwernog said:

My Octavia was built 11.08.2019 and does not have a bag .

Regards

chances are your tank doesn't say "mit Silikat" on it and probably has the newest tank.

only skoda will know for certain when the changes in the tanks happened, But new tanks don't have the container or the bag so for peace of mind i had to change mine.

On 25/01/2020 at 20:52, allan1888 said:

Any idea when the twin walled tank was replaced with the tank that has the bag or vice versa, from all the posts I see the bag came after the twin walled tank going by the vehicles in people's profiles, which means the twin walled tank had issues or was more expensive to manufacture so they switched to the bag that was cheaper but came with its own issues. Now it's removed all together.

On a slightly different note, but on the same topic. as this silicate is essential to the normal performance of the antifreeze, but the  bags containing it ( where fitted ) are prone to leaking and causing havoc in the coolant system,  seems that there is an alternative to the plastic bag containing the silicate, and that's a capsule which  does the same job, but does not leak or split and disgorging the silicate into the system. Does any one have any information on this? A part Nr ? etc. 

26 minutes ago, Jim Reire said:

On a slightly different note, but on the same topic. as this silicate is essential to the normal performance of the antifreeze, but the  bags containing it ( where fitted ) are prone to leaking and causing havoc in the coolant system,  seems that there is an alternative to the plastic bag containing the silicate, and that's a capsule which  does the same job, but does not leak or split and disgorging the silicate into the system. Does any one have any information on this? A part Nr ? etc. 

If thats the case why do the new tanks have neither bag or seperate tank for silik

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jim Reire said:

That is likely what the different tank is we are talking about. The tank I had on my MY2015 did not have the bag but a separate compartment. The new tanks don't have the "mit Silikat" label on them now and the coolant has not changed. 

1 minute ago, Dellbert said:

If thats the case why do the new tanks have neither bag or seperate tank for silik

Exactly have vw group changed the service requirements that the coolant needs changed after at a certain interval or realised that the silicate is not required

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dellbert said:

well mines in a dealership tomorrow who said theres no silik in my vehicle enen though it says it on the expansion bottle ..  kick off tomorrow at 8 am

There is every chance the bag has been removed, a lot of dealers have been removing them due to the issues. 

1 hour ago, allan1888 said:

There is every chance the bag has been removed, a lot of dealers have been removing them due to the issues. 

If thats the case whats dis coloured the coolant from July to now ?   water pump issue  headgasket (no other symptoms) and whats causing a crap heater ......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dellbert said:

If thats the case whats dis coloured the coolant from July to now ?   water pump issue  headgasket (no other symptoms) and whats causing a crap heater ......

Apologies I didn't realise you were having issues, hopefully your dealer can sort it 

I think the smallest tsi engined cars were not fitted with the "mit silicat" header tanks - my sons 2016 mkIII 1.2tsi isn't.

The G13 coolant contains silicat and this deplenishes in time, which is why the dreaded silicat bags were fitted - instead remove the bag and replace the coolant more regularly. I think it's to do with corrosion of aluminium engine components.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, allan1888 said:

Apologies I didn't realise you were having issues, hopefully your dealer can sort it 

Well if not they will have an ornament with a sign on it outside their showroom  ...  ive allready spoken to a service advisor and told him of the faults

image.png.2afa7f5a2883eac4891b233e3d66c9a9.png

Did offer my opinion as to the faults and got the might need a new battery for the electrical faults  (silly thing to say as i fix cars for a living )  

still we will see ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dellbert said:

Well if not they will have an ornament with a sign on it outside their showroom  ...  ive allready spoken to a service advisor and told him of the faults

image.png.2afa7f5a2883eac4891b233e3d66c9a9.png

Did offer my opinion as to the faults and got the might need a new battery for the electrical faults  (silly thing to say as i fix cars for a living )  

still we will see ...

Hmm,  some of these faults point to a cream crackered battery

Re heater/coolant/silicat - are you the original owner or has a previous person had the silikat issue in the past (hence no silicate bag now)

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

The thing I would like to know has Skoda updated the servicing information to allow for a coolant change interval since the new tanks don't have silicate and will require a change at some point

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Re heater/coolant/silicat - are you the original owner or has a previous person had the silikat issue in the past (hence no silicate bag now)

so if your battery goes flat your cars insecure  nice idea     on drop off they said it had been reported by others before .......

second owner but if someone removed the bag whats discoloured the coolant in  5 months (actually it was ok 2 months ago )

The only things I can think of that can cause discolouration in the coolant would be oil, and corrosion. I'm assuming that the blocks will still be cast iron with the heads being aluminium. But I doubt that the problem with block corrosion is anywhere near as bad as it was in the days of old where it was common place for coolant to come out brown and rusty. 

37 minutes ago, caprixpack said:

The only things I can think of that can cause discolouration in the coolant would be oil, and corrosion. I'm assuming that the blocks will still be cast iron with the heads being aluminium. But I doubt that the problem with block corrosion is anywhere near as bad as it was in the days of old where it was common place for coolant to come out brown and rusty. 

not oil  and corrosion is what the silica stuff is supposed to prevent ...

• Like 1

It will help reduce corrosion, but I won't stop it. As I said before the only things that will discolour the coolant are oil and corrosion, unless something else has been added to the coolant by someone. 

Could you post up a picture to show how discoloured your coolant is? 

24 minutes ago, caprixpack said:

It will help reduce corrosion, but I won't stop it. As I said before the only things that will discolour the coolant are oil and corrosion, unless something else has been added to the coolant by someone. 

Could you post up a picture to show how discoloured your coolant is? 

Skoda have just phoned to say the matrix is blocked and the coolant is contaminated  and they agree a replacement expansion bottle would not contain silika (they agreed reluctantly) . The service guy worked previously at Audi and agreed there had been problems there ..  It would apear that Skoda were late to change  maybe. 

The coolant colour rapidly changed from  normal g13 to a brown colour probably over a 2 week perion  , there was no oil loss or coolant loss in this time ..

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Apparently the electrical faults will be cured with a software update     we will see ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dellbert said:

Apparently the electrical faults will be cured with a software update     we will see ....

Hmm - I work in IT and am used to the phrase "fixed in the next release"- as you say we will see...

22 hours ago, allan1888 said:

That is likely what the different tank is we are talking about. The tank I had on my MY2015 did not have the bag but a separate compartment. The new tanks don't have the "mit Silikat" label on them now and the coolant has not changed. 

Exactly have vw group changed the service requirements that the coolant needs changed after at a certain interval or realised that the silicate is not required

So the best course  action is to remove the silicate bag, and do regular ( every 2 years or so) coolant changes ?  Using the same spec fluid as the original, or is there a recommended replacement fluid?  Or replace the header tank with the  newer one? Thanks for your help.

18 minutes ago, Jim Reire said:

So the best course  action is to remove the silicate bag, and do regular ( every 2 years or so) coolant changes ?  Using the same spec fluid as the original, or is there a recommended replacement fluid?  Or replace the header tank with the  newer one? Thanks for your help.

Coolant is still G13 there is no change, if you can get the bag out with no damage that's perfectly fine, my tank didn't have the bag but a separate chamber for the silicate. It was easier for me to change the tank it took less than 20 minutes. 

• Like 1