Expansion bottle replacement

Anything to get the silica bag out of the system is likely a good investment.

There are far too many threads on how these stupid bags split then clog up the entire heating system.

• Like 1

This is a lame design. Is the bag as easy to see on the Octavia as it appears in the video? I do not appear to see one inside the expansion tank on my 64 plate 1.4 TSI Elegance.

It should say "mit silikat" on the expansion tank if you have a silica bag. The writing isnt huge , about postage stamp size.

I looked at a mates superb the other day and his had the same tank with an intact silica bag and that could be seen through the filer cap hole pretty easily . Im not sure if its fixed in place but his was on its edge, on the right hand side of the tank ( when viewed from the front).

Am I right in thinking this should be an easy swap out, replace the Mit Silkat for a header without from the none climate models?

I replaced the header tank on an Audi TT because the existing one the plastic had become discoloured and it looked 5h1t when you opened the bonnet ...🙄

I sucked out as much coolant as possible with a turkey baster into a jug then just unclipped the hoses, swapped it over and refilled the new header .

Took less than 10 minutes.

Oh, the engine was cold whilst I did it.......

Edited by Phil245
  • Like 2

Ive checked the replacement expansion tank i had fitted under warranty by the main dealer a few weeks ago and it no longer had "mit silikat" written on it an when ive looked inside I ant see any evidence of a bag either.

So i wonder then if there is indeed a change in procedure meaning the silica bag is being ditched in any replacement units. Hopefully this is the case having learned from the failure rate, and the warranty cost of repairs to skoda.

Cheers

Spoke to my local parts department today about this, it seems the tank is now on back order. When I explained why I wanted a replacement he went on to say "I guess this is why we are replacing a lot of heater matrix right now"

IMG_20191213_164652__01.thumb.jpg.bdbf2cbac51379bf2ca2def78f68a6c9.jpgNew Tanks don't have the bag, I collected my replacement tank on friday, the writing is also gone from the new tank. The dealer said the part is now on back order, they got this one from another branch as they had one left 

7 hours ago, allan1888 said:

IMG_20191213_164652__01.thumb.jpg.bdbf2cbac51379bf2ca2def78f68a6c9.jpgNew Tanks don't have the bag, I collected my replacement tank on friday, the writing is also gone from the new tank. The dealer said the part is now on back order, they got this one from another branch as they had one left 

Interesting there is no g12 -g13 stamp wounder if there is a new coolant grade comeing down the line

• Like 1