What's going on?

Llanigraham

SWMBO told me this morning that the car made a funny noise at her last night and there was a display on the dash which she didn't read!!

Just been out and found that the yellow engine management light is on, and a yellow display comes up on the Maxidot:
L5xhNfv.jpg
with a message
"Adblue (DEF)
start possible in 650mi"

My bluetooth fault reader shows 2 fault codes, using the Torque programme:
P20ee
P204f

I've added a 2lt bottle of Adblue, just in case, but on past consumption I should have about another 1k miles before I fill up. We've had no prior warning of low levels of Adblue.

Any bright ideas, folks?

Google search shows the following for those codes:
P20ee
When a P20EE is stored in a diesel powered, OBD-II equipped vehicle, it means that the powertrain control module has detected that catalyst efficiency is below threshold for a certain engine bank. This particular code applies to the downstream catalytic converter (or NOx trap) for engine bank one.

P204f
When a code P204F is stored, it means that the powertrain control module (PCM) has detected a malfunction in the reductant portion of the selective catalyst reduction (SCR) system. Bank 1 denotes the bank of the engine that contains the number one cylinder.

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

Has some scrote pinched your cat.?

Err?? It's a diesel, so no cat.
And I have never known of such a crime around here.

Freedie might be right as the resting voltage is only 12.1v.

The fault is likely to be one or more of the following:

- Faulty NOx sensor

- Faulty AdBlue injector

- Blocked or partially blocked catalytic converter

Faulty NOx sensors are relatively common across VAG, but unfortunately dealers don't seem to have a great record for getting to the bottom of them, instead replacing large parts of the AdBlue system, usually (when out of warranty) at the customers expense.

Your fault codes do suggest the NOx sensor though, so hopefully it'll be a relatively quick fix.

49 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The fault is likely to be one or more of the following:

- Faulty NOx sensor

- Faulty AdBlue injector

- Blocked or partially blocked catalytic converter

Faulty NOx sensors are relatively common across VAG, but unfortunately dealers don't seem to have a great record for getting to the bottom of them, instead replacing large parts of the AdBlue system, usually (when out of warranty) at the customers expense.

Your fault codes do suggest the NOx sensor though, so hopefully it'll be a relatively quick fix.

Thanks.
Where is the N0x sensor?

3 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Where is the N0x sensor?

There are often two, one at the front close to the catalyst and DPF, often accessed through the top of the engine bay, reaching down in front of the bulkhead, and then a second one further back, often somewhere under the rear passengers feet, fixed to the exhaust, best accessed from underneath the car whilst up on ramps.

The graphic is for illustrative purposes only, it isn't specific to the Yeti, I've added it here just to give you a rough idea. They're referenced here as oxygen sensors...

Gen1

Similar prob almost 2 years ago, the yellow lamp illuminated, replaced the top sensor, ie behind the top of the engine, didn';t solve the problem, however after some headscratching by the garage and me, turned out to be a fuse in the engine compartment box, replaced that et voila it worked the warning was out, changed the sensor back to the original and that also worked, so I would start with both fuses 15 and 21, I think mine was 21 but age and time dims 'stuff'

When examined the fuse to all intents and purposes was ok, but with a multimeter, eyeglass  and slight pressure across the 2 spades there was a break where the spade and the fuse wire connected, must have been a faulty fuse originally I suppose!

Edited by Frenchtone
  • Like 4

Discussions with SWMBO this afternoon, and we think we are going to get this fixed and then start looking for a petrol engined car, due to our current usage. Problem now is to find something suitable to tow 1150kg and isn't much bigger than the Yeti, so that rules out the Kodiak and the Karoq. At the moment the Kia Sportage is in first place.

• Like 1

@Llanigraham

Kia sportage is a nice enough car to drive (not as sharp as the Yeti) also has a larger boot as we ourselves considered one when looking to change from old yeti a few years ago which had become too small for us, in the end whe opted for 7 seats but that's another story. Sportage would be a reasonable move from your Yeti, however interior trim and general interior fit and finish is a noticeable step backwards from skoda but you do get a good warranty. You may wish to consider a Hyundai Tucson as it is effectively the same car underneath as the sportage and arguably has a nicer interior and more comprehensive but shorter warranty.

Although if you are ruling out the karoq for being too big the kia sportage is slightly bigger still. 

Edited by Gmac983

Hadn't thought of the Tuscon, and there is a dealer in Aberystwyth, so not too far away. Might pop over and have a look.
Got a few caravanning friends with Sportage's and they seem very happy with them.

SWMBO tells me that coming home last night the Adblue light has now gone off. Can't check as just off to catch the train to Wolverhampton for a lunch with friends at The Great Western.
And I may not be in a fit state when I return!! 

For what it's worth, with our Volvo we get a low DEF warning and some time later (before running out but before topping up) we get a check engine light, which is a SCR fault.  Once we took it to a dealer who "cleaned the system" and all OK.  Last time we filled up with AdBlue, booked it in to a dealer but then the CEL went away after a couple of days and there have been no further issues.