Can't wait to get rid

Livrishind

I bought the Karoq on the back of my fantastic 9 year old Octavia Scout. One of the best cars I have ever owned. The Karoq has all the bells and whistles you could want but, with squeaky back brake pads when reversing, juddering drivers wiper blade, even when replaced with Bosch blades and a wiper motor that seems to have difficulty in moving the blades when the screen is slightly wet. The Ford Anglia 105E that I once owned had a more powerful wiper motor than the Karoq. Having owned the Karoq since june 2018, I have lost faith in Skoda and am now looking at the Peugeot 3008 as my next vehicle.

Edited by Livrishind

Sounds like there’s some contaminant on the screen, have you tried cleaning it.

And as posted on here previously, there’s a dealer fix for the noisy rear brakes when reversing.

Edited by Kenny R

I tried to get rid of our kangarooing Karoq 3 months ago by buying the wife a DSG Octavia 245 hatch but much to my surprise she got me to return the Vrs in exchange for getting back into skippy. Fortunately in the 4 days the dealer had the car they gave it its first service at 18,700 miles and now with another 3,000 miles under the excellent Michelin Primacy tyres it has been transformed by the software update and I don't mind driving it now. Never had any other issues with squeaky brakes or poor wipers and SEL spec is good enough for our needs and the engine is very quiet and the ride good with 215/50R18 tyres. Fuel economy has improved from 45 to 46.6mpg. If we had paid extra for the Edition and had issues I'm sure we would have been disappointed as well. Good luck with your next car.:thumbup:

I can concur the MkII Octavia Scout was one of the best all-round cars Skoda have ever made.

At the same, looking at the faults you've had, there have only been two, the squeaky rear brakes and windscreen wipers?

As mentioned, the squeaky rear brakes are recognised as being down to a bad batch, and are being replaced for free.

The poor wiper performance issues are likely to be linked. If the blade isn't running across the screen smoothly it will no doubt affect the speed at which the wiper arms can travel. It sounds to me as though they need some minor adjustment.

All-in-all, I'm not sure it would be enough to sell-up and drive me away from a brand for good. I'm not sure jumping ship to Peugeot will be the holy grail of reliability you might be hoping for either...

image.png.f7f47c99d2979f37e2ad2f332061537b.png

Some pretty attractive deals on the Peugeot 3008 at the minute though.

Edited by silver1011

Completely agree - such easy fixes.

Latest Driver Power survey put Peugeot ahead of Skoda, it also put the 3008 ahead of the Karoq.   Driver Power

I test drove a 3008 prior to buying the Karoq last month. ( the first Peugeot I've ever been in ). There certainly weren't any attractive deals last month. I could summerize my experience of the 3008 I was interested in, by saying it worked out £3k more expensive but felt £3k cheaper than the Karoq.

Hmmm did not realise Kia was so high up on reliability score, I would certainly look very closely at that as next option.

I did for fun try a Duster and for the price it is a good choice, but the quality / options just don't match Skoda.

I do think VWG have lost the advantage they once had and the next car will not automatically be a Skoda after 30 years of experience with them.

'Simply Clever' but the manufacturer with the best Quality Control in the Czech Republic is Hyundai & in SlovaKIA is KIA. 

They put longer Manufacturers Warranties on their vehicles because they have faith in their products.

Funnily they can build cars that keep H20 out of passenger cabins and in the engines and Heating / Demisting / AC that suits European weather.

Edited by Roottootemoot

3 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

'Simply Clever' but the manufacturer with the best Quality Control in the Czech Republic is Hyundai & in SlovaKIA is KIA. 

They put longer Manufacturers Warranties on their vehicles because they have faith in their products.

Funnily they can build cars that keep H20 out of passenger cabins and in the engines and Heating / Demisting / AC that suits European weather.

That may be so but go and have a look on the Kia and the Hyundai owner forums and you will see they are no different to this one...similar problems and complaints, noisy this, rattly that....dangerous auto box etc etc.

It matters not what you buy, there will be happy owners, there will be over fussy owners and there will be those that regret their purchase.

• Like 3

There must be as many Hyundai & Kia fan boy's and girls or Dealership employees filling in satisfaction surveys as there was when Skoda kept being at the top of JD Power, Which etc.

When you asked on the biggest Skoda forum who was replying to the surveys 'not many' came the reply.

Hyundai & Kia have repeat customers the same as Skoda.

The thing is Skoda are starting to lose those as penny pinching is becoming ridiculous as RRP's go up.

Discounted cars at the time of that models launch and before some even get cars pre-ordered delivered is an issue.

That is Skoda / SEAT i am referring to.

Edited by Roottootemoot

I like the facility to specify exactly what extras I want / need in a motor unlike most of the other affordable brands, especially far eastern, where you have to take it as it comes because those few extras I want it often means 'top of the range' complete with loadsa stuff I don't want.

So for me, despite the fact Skoda / VW might not be the consumers favourite, there are no other marques on my shopping list.

• Like 1

Probably mentioned this b4 somewhere but it's worth noting those longer warranties aren't all they seem, as ever read the small print. I believe items such as the infotainment system has the same 3yr warranty on Kia as it does on VAG. As for reliability, well why not play the 'spot the broken LED game'. We all know or should know the price of LED lights is extortionate and even with ordinary light bulbs, with some cars you need to remove the bumper to gain access, in other words some people require help and that incurs labour costs. So it's no wonder then we see an ever increasing number of cars with only one LED headlight or DRL working.  Next time you do, look at the badge and if my observations are anything to go by, 4 out of every 5 cars with a dud LED will be a Hyundai / KIA. ( it's obviously a weak point ).

Wouldn't it be funny if in the 5th year the owner went back to KIA / Hyundai to claim on the warranty and the manufacturer said sorry but it's a consumable or it's wear and tear?

Whetehr it be a base Dacia or a top of the range Rolls Royce, all cars have their problems. 

Edited by Guest

It would be, but then i had a KIA Picanto for 7 years and warranty claim on an exhaust honoured at 6 years.

But then Dealerships say many things, but they try to be gate keepers, the T&C's is what matters.

Most faulty bulbs / lights i see are on Audi's, that will be lazy drivers not getting them changed.

Most annoying front lights on new cars for me , Kia, Renault and SEAT in that order.

The faulty LED DRL's with KIA is a well documented and widespread design/manufacturing defect that affects the Ceed...

https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/daylight-running-lights-leds.31125/

Luckily KIA's robust 7 year warranty is catching them all.

On 11/12/2019 at 14:51, Roottootemoot said:

It would be, but then i had a KIA Picanto for 7 years and warranty claim on an exhaust honoured at 6 years.

But then Dealerships say many things, but they try to be gate keepers, the T&C's is what matters.

Most faulty bulbs / lights i see are on Audi's, that will be lazy drivers not getting them changed.

Most annoying front lights on new cars for me , Kia, Renault and SEAT in that order.

I lost a small fortune on a new top of the range Kia Sportage. Auto gearbox problem that Kia kept saying No Fault Found, creaking panoramic sunroof and a diesel engine straight from the 1950's. Lame steering. Poor MPG. Glad to ditch it after about a year. My first and last Kia. I went from probably my worst car (Kia) ever to my best (Karoq). 

Perhaps this is not representative - but enough to put me off Hyundai and Kia.

• Like 2

2016, Central Europe. Edition model - lots of extras on it that were unwanted and remained unused (lane assist, high beam thingy, sunroof) but it had to be that model to get the stuff I did want.

Hence the Karoq SEL DSG with a few extras that I really  wanted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

@OldKaroq

What year of Sportage was that just a few years back, and was it built in South Korea or Central Europe?

Did a dealership say no fault with the gearbox found or did KIA?

The dealership. It was quite a drive away and was an intermittent but regular fault that never "performed" when tested by the technician.  I tired of making time to get a faulty new car fixed that I never really gelled with.

My best friend and his wife are still running their 2008 petrol Kia Ceed SR.

The car gets serviced on time, but other than that gets no love.

In the last 11 years all it has needed is a new bonnet prop retainer, discs, pads, tyres and the replacement of two seized brake calipers.

Dull as dish water but as reliable and fault/fuss free as you can (or at least could) get.

5 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Dull as dish water but as reliable and fault/fuss free as you can (or at least could) get

To be  fair that is as much as most people want from their car if its a normal run of the mill " get me to work ,get me on holiday and to the shops car "

Not all of us are fanatics about cars, just want it to do it's job with no fuss and bother.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 09:38, Roottootemoot said:

They do it because it is the only way they can sell them at that price. 

Ever wondered why Rolls Royce don't offer a long warranty?  Not that they don't have faith in the product but that they don't need to.

• Haha 1

@IJWS15 What price is that, much the same price as other comparable vehicles!

I never have wondered about Rolls Royce's really, but a Rolls Royce warranty is 4 years unlimited miles and 4 years servicing and maintenance.

Bentley who are VW owned come in the bottom of reliability tables published time after time.

But then people who have enough money to buy expensive things or borrow money to can be too tight or skint to service and maintain them properly.

Just as true with everyday cars as well.  Or maybe they have a Service Plan and have Full Main Dealer Service History 

which gives 'Oil & Filter changes' Free Wash & Vacuum and a look see and not much else for 2, 3 or 4 years.

Edited by Roottootemoot

On 13/12/2019 at 13:53, silver1011 said:

It isn't often people run a car, their sole daily family car, from new to over 10 years old.

This to me is the true test of a vehicles reliability.

They care and know very little for the car. No preventative maintenance, no regular washing. Driven with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy though.

The media and journalists attempting to rate a cars reliability over the first three years of its life is a waste of time in my opinion.

I am a believer that mechanical sympathy and a dose of common sense are the best ingredients for vehicle longevity. 

Been there done that.

Most notable cars were:

Over 100,000 miles on an Austin Maxi (one clutch replaced). Scrapped. 

190,000 miles on a 1.8 petrol Passat estate (Mk2, nothing replaced other than tyres and other wear items, track rod ends etc). Scrapped.

120,000 miles on a 2.0 tdi Passat estate, (perished turbo vacuum pipe) otherwise never let me down (traded in under the diesel Scrappage Scheme). 

109,000 miles on a 2.0 tdi Yeti, only got rid of it because of the post emissions fiasco and the Trust Building Measure expiry. It already had had a free EGR replacement and I was not prepared to take the risk of it having to be done again (a £1,000 job). Traded in against 1.5 dsg Karoq. 

Circumstances mean I don’t do so many miles nowadays so went over to petrol. 

My philosophy is buy for cash, service them on the nail (minimum annually) run them into the ground (usually 9-10 years) and then throw them away!

There were some other in between cars. An inherited Beetle (sold for the money). A Golf (too small). A Carlton estate (destroyed in a garage fire) and a £100 Mk3 Cortina to get me out of a fix when the Carlton was destroyed. 

Thats about my motoring history. 

“Buy ‘em, run into the ground and throw ‘em away”

tom

Edited by Sanqhar
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 18:19, Livrishind said:

I bought the Karoq on the back of my fantastic 9 year old Octavia Scout. One of the best cars I have ever owned. The Karoq has all the bells and whistles you could want but, with squeaky back brake pads when reversing, juddering drivers wiper blade, even when replaced with Bosch blades and a wiper motor that seems to have difficulty in moving the blades when the screen is slightly wet. The Ford Anglia 105E that I once owned had a more powerful wiper motor than the Karoq. Having owned the Karoq since june 2018, I have lost faith in Skoda and am now looking at the Peugeot 3008 as my next vehicle.

Hi.... I had a Karoq which had two unfixable faults... the "kangaroo problem" (which I believe now has a resolution) and the dangerous one..... intermittent zero throttle response when outside temp below about 5 degrees and engine temp below about 70 degrees... terrifying.

I had a fantastic Yeti and then the problematic Karoq so I lost confidence in the brand. My wife had her second Peugeot 2008 (first one a diesel manual and now a 1.2 petrol auto) which have been faultless, I bought a Peugeot 3008 1.6 petrol auto (8 speed) and it's superb.

I am very "picky" about my cars. I'm ex motor trade and worked at Toyota, Fiat, Honda and finally ending up, for my sins, as sales manager at a Volvo dealership. I bought the 3008 having driven the 2008 and so impressed after the test drive and went for it.

I can heartily recommend the Pug.. it beats my last three cars (Yeti, BMW X1, Karoq) hands down.

Good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

Traded in against 1.5 dsg Karoq. 

Circumstances mean I don’t do so many miles nowadays so went over to petrol. 

My philosophy is buy for cash, service them on the nail (minimum annually) run them into the ground (usually 9-10 years) and then throw them away!

Given everything thats been written about the DQ200 DSG, I admire your confidence chosing it if your intention is to keep the car 9yr.

I'm agree with everything you say, the only difference being I've only ever kept one car over 3yr and that was a Golf Mk5 which developed the well known ABS sensor issue. Despite this happening when the car was just out of warranty, VW paid for the repair in full so it only cost me a diagnostic fee. I sold the car not long after this - the prospect of further issues, then larger sevice + cambelt replacement + tyres etc, just felt I may as well sink that money in to a new car. That said, with the price of cars these days...  I too may be aiming for 9-10yr now. :giggle: