Sat Nav Maps Update

Davskoda

20 hours ago, Kenny R said:

With the Columbus the maps are installed from the SD card or Usb Stick to the units hard drive. The Amundsen does not have a hard drive and the maps are read directly from the Skoda SD card.

ah,didnt realise that.my nissan xtrail was the same,update map on card was £140.rip off

Many thanks Dave_Knight.

I followed your instructions and the update was successful.

The first attempt failed as for some reason not all the files from the 2020 update were unzipped.

All the very best to you and yours for 2020.

On 28/12/2019 at 07:23, Davskoda said:

The postings seem to have lost my original thread,

1.    I have No problems in downloading the map updates from the Skoda update Portal, I have fibre Broadband And can download the biggest update in 50mins  - and the 7GB update in 20mins.

2.    I have No problem with unzipping the .zip files with 7zip or Windows 10 default, (I have tried it with both)  transferring them to the official Skoda SD Card (which I have Formatted fat35) is rapid and easy. (Intel i5 - Samsung SSD)

3.    I have inspected the folders and sub files on the Skoda SD card after transfer, and they are all intact and in original order   (I have also made a Back up copy of the original map files)

(I have done this type of procedure Many many times, in work, and at play, over several decades with different operating systems, inc Linex. Ubuntu. Android. ect.)

4.   The problem I have is when I return the SD Card to slot 1 of my Mk2 Amundsen SatNav  the unit does Not Recognise the Update  =  large black dialogue box "Navigation Data Not Detected"

But when I reformat the SD Card again, and copy my original backup to the card.  and return it to the unit it works perfectly,-  this may or may not, indicate that there is an embedded recognition file in the original map software, that is not included in the Update?

i am sure it goes in slot 2

I'm also struggling with this .. again (2017 Octavia SE Sport with an Amundsen in it). 

The 2020 map files (STD2_1310_EU1_201945) won't copy to the SD card ...quick formatting the SD card doesn't help either.  Then I realised that if I do manage to install the EU1 map files to the SD card I will lose the maps of Germany and the Czech republic that I sometimes use when working there.   To install the whole of EU map now requires a 32GB SD card and the car only came with a 14.8GB one  grrrrr.

I have a drawer full of 32GB SD cards, but it has to be the special Skoda one (mean bar stewards)

Possibly I'm unable to upload EU1 or EU2 to the 14.8GB SD card because it previously had all of Europe on it?  (STD2_915_EU1_2018)

On 26/12/2019 at 16:00, Davskoda said:

Has anyone found this skoda Map Update "Windows Download Manager"??

Not me. 

Edited by nicka62
more info

21 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

The full Europe maps will install onto a standard genuine Skoda 16 GB SD card. If you're not able to get them to fit, then (again...) You're doing something wrong....

Cheers,  I'll try that as soon as the low level format of the SD card is finished .....

It does fit and it does work!

And you do only need to install the entire "map" subdirectory on the SD card; the other file that was on the SD card (0915_MP171-1284.xEUR1.md5sum.txt) isn't required.

Took for flipping ever (well, a few hours) to a) reformat the SD card and b) copy the new map directory across.

I'm guessing most of the problems reported are either :  corrupt files due to incorrect download or unzipping, trying to use a non-Skoda SD card and (maybe) trying to put a map on the card that is different from what is supposed to be there ... though that seems unlikely, I repeatedly failed to get the "part" of EU files to copy across and did fine with an update to the "all EU" files.  Tight fit though, and if the next update is more than 14GB I'll have to get a new Skoda SD card.

The maps are already out of date BTW (EG the new A14 to Cambridge is missing, so you'd end up at a road closed sign).

Edited by nicka62

To fit latest all Europe map, format SD with 32kB allocation unit size.

'Latest' '2020' ver, marked 1310, is based on Here Maps data from December 2018!!! Yes, more than year old... Skoda (and VAG altogether) is misleading (cheating? ah no, it' called 'alternative facts' nowdays)  customers with these 'latest' and 'year ahead' naming. But Im so stupid I bought Skoda so why complaining?

Happy updating! 

On 22/12/2019 at 11:27, Davskoda said:

I have just taken delivery, (3 wks ago) of my new 2020 Karoq 2.0 TDI Manual (not4x4)

I have checked my Amundsen Sat Nav Map version, and its 2yrs out of date, I have downloaded the latest 2020 maps from the Skoda Update Portal and have saved it to my W10 pro PC, in the form of a Compressed Zipped Folder.

Could anyone inform me of the procedure to Transfer the new updates to the SD Card (plugged into slot one of my Sat Nav) presumably I would need to decompress the zipped file first?  - A detailed Guide would be a Very Appreciated Christmas gift.

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas……… Dave.

I have now discovered a Successful Method of updating my Skoda “Amundsen” (mk2) Satnav SD Card, after several failed attempts, using a few suggestions afore mentioned included in these threads.

This method turned out to be quite easy. =

First remove your Skoda SD Navigation Card from slot 1 of your Amundsen unit, go to Menu – Settings – tap on “Safely Remove” - SD Card slot 1, this option will then “Grey Out” and you can safely remove the SD Card,

and transfer it to your PC/Laptop via card reader, or integral slot. 

(Make a copy of the existing content of the card in case things go wrong)

Then completely Format the card FAT32  (NOT fast option)  this could take up to 1hr

Go to the VW site =

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

Scroll Down VW Models and click on “Tiguan” (last one on bottom) choose 2017 model then click on “Discover Media” Nav System.   then - Discover Media Update,

I chose this update, As I only require UK Maps =  (you have to choose your existing maps on the Skoda downloads site)

• Updated: : 11/7/19
  • File format: : 7-zip
  • Coverage: :

Andorra, Belgium, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands,  Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom

This took around 20mins to download this smaller file (Fibre Broadband) = Saved to Desktop - Extracted file with 7-zip

- Dragged and dropped, entire extracted file  to fully Formated Skoda SD Card.

When completed,  “safely removed” card from PC, and returned it to the Amundsen unit  - choosing again the -- Menu – Settings – tap on “Safely Remove” - SD Card slot one, which is still greyed out. 

Then pushed SD card back into slot 1.  - Screen changed to searching for Navigation Data, - with timer indicator, running for 10 to 15 secs until navigation became live and fully operational.

On 22/12/2019 at 12:17, Sanqhar said:

Not near my car at the moment. 

Karoq 1.5 tsi sel. 

Would my car have the 32GB card?  If so do I download ECE A1 2020?

Tom

Just took out the card. Can’t see the size.

How do I tell if it is 32Gb or 16Gb, is the size hidden in one of the codes printed on it.

tom

Stick it in your PC.  Right click on the sd card in explorer then hit "properties".  If it reports as 14.8GB (or close) then it's a 16GB, if something higher than 16GB then it's a 32GB.   Explorer doesn't report the whole capacity because part of the disk is a hidden partition.

... though, following the advice of our esteemed friend RustyNuts; I fitted the latest all EU map (13GB) onto my 16GB card.

@Davskoda ... were the VW maps any more recent than the woefully out of date Skoda "2020" maps?  Look to be a bit more recent but the file size is suspiciously similar to the Skoda one.

• Like 1

@nicka62...  Yes, VW maps are more recent. For example, here in France, it take in account the 80 km/h limitations for two-bands road whereas the Skoda update did not. That's why you pay a Tiguan 7500 pounds more than a Karoq....

2 hours ago, nicka62 said:

Stick it in your PC.  Right click on the sd card in explorer then hit "properties".  If it reports as 14.8GB (or close) then it's a 16GB, if something higher than 16GB then it's a 32GB.   Explorer doesn't report the whole capacity because part of the disk is a hidden partition.

... though, following the advice of our esteemed friend RustyNuts; I fitted the latest all EU map (13GB) onto my 16GB card.

@Davskoda ... were the VW maps any more recent than the woefully out of date Skoda "2020" maps?  Look to be a bit more recent but the file size is suspiciously similar to the Skoda one.

I checked with an Online Retailer of SatNav SD Cards and the  "ECE A1 2020  5L0051236BG  was released in Dec. 2018

21 hours ago, Davskoda said:

I have now discovered a Successful Method of updating my Skoda “Amundsen” (mk2) Satnav SD Card, after several failed attempts, using a few suggestions afore mentioned included in these threads.

This method turned out to be quite easy. =

First remove your Skoda SD Navigation Card from slot 1 of your Amundsen unit, go to Menu – Settings – tap on “Safely Remove” - SD Card slot 1, this option will then “Grey Out” and you can safely remove the SD Card,

and transfer it to your PC/Laptop via card reader, or integral slot. 

(Make a copy of the existing content of the card in case things go wrong)

Then completely Format the card FAT32  (NOT fast option)  this could take up to 1hr

Go to the VW site =

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

Scroll Down VW Models and click on “Tiguan” (last one on bottom) choose 2017 model then click on “Discover Media” Nav System.   then - Discover Media Update,

I chose this update, As I only require UK Maps =  (you have to choose your existing maps on the Skoda downloads site)

• Updated: : 11/7/19
  • File format: : 7-zip
  • Coverage: :

Andorra, Belgium, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands,  Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom

This took around 20mins to download this smaller file (Fibre Broadband) = Saved to Desktop - Extracted file with 7-zip

- Dragged and dropped, entire extracted file  to fully Formated Skoda SD Card.

When completed,  “safely removed” card from PC, and returned it to the Amundsen unit  - choosing again the -- Menu – Settings – tap on “Safely Remove” - SD Card slot one, which is still greyed out. 

Then pushed SD card back into slot 1.  - Screen changed to searching for Navigation Data, - with timer indicator, running for 10 to 15 secs until navigation became live and fully operational.

As an afterthought,  

Since the VW update download site. allowed me to update a non-compliant SD Card (Skoda)   would it also allow installation on a  eg.  SanDisk  32GB  SD Card??  

(Skoda update Portal will Not allow non compliant SD Cards, except for Columbus Units)

If I had  spare SD to hand I would have tried this.  any volunteers?

The Skoda SD Cards and the VW SD Cards are exactly the same thing, just have a different label on the front. Using a VW map on a Skoda card is not "non-compliant".

For the ....nth time, you cannot use a standard SD card for a maps card on the Amundsen MIB units. No matter how many times you ask the question in any (or many) different ways, that answer will remain a constant. However, feel free to knock yourself out if you feel the need.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Davskoda said:

As an afterthought,  

Since the VW update download site. allowed me to update a non-compliant SD Card (Skoda)   would it also allow installation on a  eg.  SanDisk  32GB  SD Card??  

(Skoda update Portal will Not allow non compliant SD Cards, except for Columbus Units)

If I had  spare SD to hand I would have tried this.  any volunteers?

My "afterthought" proved unsuccessful,  I found a SanDisk SD.  gave Full Format FAT32 - loaded 11/07/19 update, but as we all suspected the Amundsen unit would not read the SanDisk.

The Main Advantage of the VW Portal, in my opinion is the fact that I could Download And Install (easily)  my own choice of Map = ECE 1  5GB    in place of the original map ECE A1  13GB

I did not have this ability on the Skoda Update Portal.    

When I drove into a new area in France (and it also happened once in the UK) I was told that there was a map update for that region - I think it was NW France - and did I want to download it. I said yes and it automatically downloaded and installed as I drove, via the SIM card I had installed in the Columbus. It was a limited download needed for the area I was driving in and amounted to around 500 MB of data. I have 1,5 GB on that card so no problem, as long as it's only 1 or 2 a month.

Can't remember setting up anything specific to do this but then I do have the Skoda Connect Infotainment so it might well have been done through that.

9 minutes ago, JohnD5314 said:

When I drove into a new area in France (and it also happened once in the UK) I was told that there was a map update for that region - I think it was NW France - and did I want to download it. I said yes and it automatically downloaded and installed as I drove, via the SIM card I had installed in the Columbus. It was a limited download needed for the area I was driving in and amounted to around 500 MB of data. I have 1,5 GB on that card so no problem, as long as it's only 1 or 2 a month.

Can't remember setting up anything specific to do this but then I do have the Skoda Connect Infotainment so it might well have been done through that.

That's because you have the fancy columbus whereas us lot only have the admundsen2 .. no hard drive and no sim card slot.  I could connect up a phone with the Skoda Connect option (if I bought it .. and I still might) but it won't upload maps.  However, if I pay for the Connect option, then I will start using Wayz or GoogleMaps for sat nav, which knock the VAG sat nav efforts into a cocked hat.  🙂

• 6 months later...

I have found this very helpful and interesting thread (thank you to everyone) because I have had a problem updating the map for my Amundsen satnav in Skoda Octavia. I first copied the whole SD card to my Windows pc, downloaded ECE 1 2020 to the pc, unzipped and transferred ECE 1 2020, then tried loading it to the SD card. Got a message saying that there was no room on the SD card. Deleted contents of SD card. Transferred downloaded files to SD card and put SD card back in the Amundsen. It works fine except that the new UK map doesn't show any village or small town place names. Route finding works as well as before. France map show all village place names. Can someone who uses ECE 1 2020 tell me if they can see village place names please? 

On 29/07/2020 at 18:00, Jehu44 said:

Can someone who uses ECE 1 2020 tell me if they can see village place names please? 

Mine does.

Did you re-format your SD card or just delete stuff? I always reformat the card and it has always upgraded perfectly. Another possibility is that the de-compress had an error, might be worth re-running.